Taipei's Best Kept Secrets

they’re all connected. easiest way is after leaving the station, immediately turn left, go into the alley to the left of the highrise, and straight past the franganpani tree up the wide stone steps into the park. the whole hill is laced with stairs, just keep going up. if you keep hiking around the ridge after a few hundred meters you’ll break through to a small paved roadway, bear right to go into yangming university and down, left for the university’s athletic fields, cross the fields go through the fence and keep going to the big rock behind rongzong hospital and on to beitou if you want.[/quote]
Went and did this hike with my friends this past weekend. Armed with Daltongang’s directions, we got out of Qilian and headed up the hill. This has got to be the most easily accessible hiking trail from an MRT station. One thing I’d like to add to the directions is one should keep left as you go up the hill and look for the hikers’ ribbons tied on tree branches to find the trail leading to the ridge. We finished the whole thing in about two hours near Xinbeitou MRT. The best part about this hike is that it’s basically a ridge hike on dirt trails, so it’s not like going on an endless Stair Master that you’d experience at many Taipei’s mountains. What you give up in elevation (only 260m), you gain in the distance. Thanks, Daltongang. Great recommendation!

a big plug for this place in case people don’t know about it…it’s out by JinShan in the hills and features huge sculptures by Mr Zhu in stunning surroundings…truly a world class sculpture park…you can get there on a direct bus from Taipei Arts Museum

check out the cemeteries out by beast mountain or something (or was it nangang). interestingly, there’s some Hui Muslim graves there. very neat. dunno if there’s ghosts. go there at night and report back.

The topiary behind the Adventist Hospital is sort of cool.

There is a cementary on the Keelong mountain (or near the entrance to the path leading up) in ChiuFen (JiuFen). Walking back to my friends car we saw a group of teenagers, one of them (a girl) totally hysterical, crying, screaming etc. Her friends claimed she saw a demon up there.

Cool, glad you enjoyed it! I’ve never been motivated enough to go all the way to Beitou–hey I live in Shipai–but I’ll have to do it now.

[quote]
The best kept secret in Taipei is the Museleum of the founder of the Magnolia Hotel. It has the most exquisit private gardens, picnic area, and is of Thai styling. Where is it? Well that’s the secret.[/quote]

haha, I know that well.

Ok, so it’s not heaven on Earth, but next time you’re at Warner Village, check out the upper floor of the Mitsukoshi A8 (or is it A9??) bldg. They have an outdoor cafe and the whole area is filled with rosebushes. It is a nice escape from the craziness of that area…especially on one of the beautiful days we’ve been having lately.

get off at ching mei mrt, exit 1 i think, walk towards the watsons, and up the stairs to the walking trails that give superb views over taipei. but don’t tell anyone.

What you’re referring to is Xianjiyan, the small mountain in Jingmei. But an easier way to get a bird’s eye view of Taipei (and a much better one) is the observation deck on top of the Shinkong Mitsukoshi building across from Taipei Main. Or alternatively, the revolving restaurant atop the Beitou garbage incinerator affords a nice view of the Tianmu/Shilin area and the mountains around Yangmingshan (No, you won’t smell anything inside the restaurant). Those are the only man-made vantage points I can think of before Taipei 101 opens its top floor to the public.

1. Museum of World Religion
  2. Stone Carved Park

D

There used to be an old Taiwanese bei-bei who sold bbq corn across from the Gwo-yu Jer-Bao. Although the quality of local corn in the ROC leaves something to be desired, this guy was an absolute maestro with the layered on sauces, and he cooked the corn perfectly over his ancient belows fired charcol brazier. A super nice guy, a reasonable price, and very veggie friendly.

Apparently the guy has been working the same spot for something like 25 years - very much a neighborhood institution. On a few occasions while eating and chatting with the Umi Shi-Fu I met a fellow customer who would drive up in his flashy new benz. This guy explained that even though he has made it big, and moved to a house in the suburbs he still comes back to the old 'hood to get his corn fix. The Corn Master seemed to have legions of loyal customers. I can understand why.

Does anyone know if he is still there? If you are in the neighborhood, he sets up directly opposite Gwo-yu Jer-Bao starting at around 4PM or so.

Oh yeah, he’s still there.

GYJB is on a corner. Which way opposite is this guy at? opposite across Roosevelt? or opposite across the narrower side street?

GYJB is on a corner. Which way opposite is this guy at? opposite across Roosevelt? or opposite across the narrower side street?[/quote]

on Fuzhou street across from the main bldg, up from roosevelt a bit. near the 愛的世界 kids clothes store.

There is a lot of activity going on in Treasure Hill, performances, discussions… Check out their website (Chinese only)

Iris

arboreal maze in the park between binjiang lu, mintsu e rd, xinsheng n rd and qienguo n rd. filling out quite nicely, fun for the kids. the old house across binjiang rd is worth a look too.

[quote=“iris”]There is a lot of activity going on in Treasure Hill, performances, discussions… Check out their website (Chinese only)

Iris[/quote]

For those who need to see an english version, you can translate the page at babelfish.altavista.com

:rainbow:

The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!

Evil evil Babelfish.

Baishaowan although it’s technically not in Taipei nor is it a big secret, but I think my trips to Kending will be cut in half (wintertime only) now that I’ve discovered blue waters and soft sand up here.

How does Baishawan compare to Fulong? Never been to Baishawan, but I’ve always thought Fulong was a well kept secret given its easy accessibility from Taipei. A one-hour train ride from Taipei Main will drop you off right across the street from the beach. Can’t really beat that, can you?