Taipei's Best Kept Secrets

[quote]There is a cementary on the Keelong (Jilong) mountain (or near the entrance to the path leading up) in ChiuFen (Jiufen). Walking back to my friends car we saw a group of teenagers, one of them (a girl) totally hysterical, crying, screaming etc. Her friends claimed she saw a demon up there.
[/quote]

Hmm. The only time I tried to walk up Jilong Mountain was with my wife. We started from the steps on that side. My wife was totally freaked out, said she felt really uncomfortable, and refused point blank to even go up to the first pagoda (I wanted to show her something there) saying she had a bad feeling. The only other time that happened was at Machangding, where they executed the 228 victims. Hmm, I’m starting to believe my wife’s sense of these things.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”] The only other time that happened was at Machangding, where they executed the 228 victims.
[/quote]
I often bike through Machangding on my riverside bike rides. That big mound in the middle is pretty creepy, kind of reminiscent of a tomb. But interestingly, I find the place more inviting and romantic at night with all the built-in lights on the ground. Very tranquil with the calm water in front of you and very few (living) people around. :wink:

I like the Lin Family House and Garden in Banqiao. Never very crowded and is a relaxing place.

bump for a merge and for some moderation… (I think some of these places have changed, like Treasure Hill?)

How about the old British Consulate up on the hill in Danshui? I guess it’s not a secret, but fun to peek into those rooms, at night, with a lover or girlfriend. The streets are quiet up there and it makes for a great night stroll…

I’m sure this isn’t a secret by any means, but I’m really partial to Zhishan Park 芝山公園. It’s like a little jungle mountain with boardwalks and little secluded platforms here and there. One of them is called something like Time Square, the floor paved with little plaques (in Chinese only unfortunately) detailing exactly what was happening in Taipei at various points in history, going back some billions of years. (No really. Billions. If you like geology you’ll eat the stuff up.) Plus, it’s a ten-minute walk from Zhishan MRT Station, what more could you want?

Taiwan only rose from the sea 5-10 mya so I am really curious how Taipei has billions of years of history. :laughing:

It says something like “at this time, there was no island and some proto-organisms were doing their thing” :slight_smile:

Yeah, totally. I rode my bike past the place just recently and was shocked to see how it’s transformed. The place is completely gentrified, going from a slum to an artist village, a Huashan wannabe if you will. You can now access the place from the riverside bike path right under Fuhe bridge.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch. It’s still pretty slummy looking.

Here’s one I just discovered: The Presidential and Vice-presidential Artifacts Museum
I had never heard of this place (so it’s gotta be a well kept secret) until I chanced upon it when I took a detour to work one day. It’s housed in the former Ministry of Communications building right behind the Presidential office. You’ll find gifts from foreign governments, the ROC Constitution and other historical artifacts on display. What intrigued me the most was an exhibit on the history of the building, which was designed by the same architect who built the Presidential office building during the Japanese era (of course, it wasn’t called the Presidential Office back then). History buffs should appreciate it. You can also pick up some ROC memorabilia at the gift shop. The only downside is that the English is a bit lacking. (Only the main captions are in English. Everything else is in Chinese.)

Address: 2 Changsha St. Sec. 1, Taipei (near Ximen MRT station)