Taipei's most Upscale Poolhall

Hello Everyone,

I have a co-worker coming in later this summer who is heavy into the money/tournament pool thing and I want to blow his mind with Taipei’s latest/Greatest Pool halls. I’m talking about the places where they have the best Italian felt on the tables, their cheapest tables are Brunswick gold crowns and top class everything.

I used to know where all these places were when I was young and still playing, but 25 year of living away from Taipei, failing eyesight and life in general has pulled me away from where these gardens of pool playing paradise are.

I’m not interested in bars/pubs/where you play (unless you can run out, then you should PM me for a match :wink: )

If you are a keen pool player and play actively in TPE I could really use your help. There used to be a couple of really upscale billiard parlors in the building above LUXY…Are they still there?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give…And always eager to meet fellow pool players :slight_smile:

MJB

Unfortunatley, many of the nicer pool halls have closed due to unpopularity.

There’s one hall that’s right next to Guting MRT station. I can’t vouch that it’s still open since I haven’t been there in about a year, but you can try to check it out.

It’s a B1 level called Pool House 9 located around here:
No. 46, Section 1, Heping W Rd, Zhongzheng District

Seems a bit hard to believe…Pool is like an olympic sport here. Pool worldwide always ebbs and flows in popularity, but I was always under the impression that it was fairly stable here.

Thanks for the steer nonetheless and I’ll run up to rack a few before my friend shows up.

Thanks!

[quote=“MJB”]
Seems a bit hard to believe…Pool is like an olympic sport here. Pool worldwide always ebbs and flows in popularity, but I was always under the impression that it was fairly stable here.

Thanks for the steer nonetheless and I’ll run up to rack a few before my friend shows up.

Thanks![/quote]

Well, at least the ones I used to frequent closed.

I just remembered another one (that I haven’t been to), but FB page seems to make it seem like it’s veeery nice.

https://www.facebook.com/MajorLeaguePool

About 5yrs ago my co-worker told me that pool halls must be able to provide a certain number of parking spaces in their building (paid or unpaid spaces). That proved very difficult for most and every month they get a visit from the police and hit with a fine. (kind of like those street vendors, except pool halls cannot run away…haha)

Many had to close up since their profit was not really high to begin with. And I think the smoking ban about a decade back had its effect as well. The “regulars” of most basement pool halls are chain smokers and halls can get fined for repeated offenses of not getting their patrons to smoke outside. My first stint in Taiwan 12 years ago I could find 3 pool halls within a 5 min walk where I work. Coming back to Taiwan 3 yrs ago all of them are gone.

It’s too bad. I used to love shooting pool with my co-worker at lunch every friday : ( Hope you find a decent place to play.

There are is a (not too filthy) one just off Minsheng/Linsen Rd. on ShuangCheng and another just off Gunagfu South next to Speak Easy. Neither off em upscale though :frowning: ,but they do have a bunch of really good players as regulars. “My Place” even though a shitty bar has an okay table and regulars running out on me every time unless they place me a “just save your face” shot. Every Wednesday…

There is one that just opened last winter. The name is Major League Billiards. The address is :

B1, NO.89, Tayou Rd., Songshan Dist.

It’s near the Raohe Street Night Market.

Shoot straight!!!

[quote=“poolchady”]There is one that just opened last winter. The name is Major League Billiards. The address is :

B1, NO.89, Tayou Rd., Songshan Dist.

It’s near the Raohe Street Night Market.

Shoot straight!!![/quote]

I mentioned this above. There’s a link to their FB page.

It’s not in the most convenient location, but the facility is pretty new.

However, I have noticed that the air ventilation in there is not very good.