Taipei's North Gate Area Renovation: We've Come a Long Way

They just opened up the Mitsui Warehouse, another cute Japanese era building. The whoel area is opening up really pretty and I can´t wait for the Rail Museum be finally open to the public.

While searching data about the Mitsui place, I found this blog, which in turn cites another blog where he got pictures of old Taipei, like 80s Taipei. Look at the cool Zhonghua road pics, I would have never imagined that was there.

This is really sad: http://taipics.com/

2 Likes

It was pretty cool. Lots of random stuff

I remember going there to buy cassette tapes. There was a store there that sold them really cheap and had a big selection.

2 Likes

They have a pic of those buildings here in one of our bosses´office. But it is just partial, not the whole Zhonghua road as it was.

When they move teh police station, the whole area will be open. Then it is just the old dorms and it will be a great park. As a bike lane it would be fantastic to get to Youth Park and on to the river.

I remember the old row of shops in the middle of Zhonghua Road. I bought some cheap trinkets there. It was a fun place to explore. I also remember when they tore it down.

1 Like

This area of town has changed enormously, for the better.

In addition to seeing the handsome historical buildings at street level, I also recommend interested forumosans who are new to the neighbouhood to have a look at the amazing archeological finds that are smartly folded into Beimen MRT Station proper. It’s also well worth a look!

Guy

A real renaissance going on in that area, long overdue. And a big round of applause for Political Rock Star Mayor Ko for making it all happen. Our future President of Taiwan. Following in the footsteps of the great Wang Shi Jian (王世堅), I will jump into the ocean (跳海) if he ain’t President by 2024.