Taiwan 802.11b Wireless Internet Access Point List

I would just love to check out my new computer…guess i’ll have to go to mcdonalds at least once to find out if it works…

Rose, why should it be free? Do you not pay for your cell phone?[/quote]

Well at McDonalds it certainly may not have to be so – it’s their business after all.

There is a fairly large movement in North America and Europe that believes it should be so. The effects of such a move would be tremendously positive.

If you are in Hsinchu and are desparate to get online, my wlan is open to all. If you sit in the park at the Hsinchu Girls High School you should be able to get reasonable reception. For fun, I’m considering increasing the range and keeping it open to all.

Free wireless is a good thing.

I’m sorry to report that Cozy (see my post above) now charges NT$40 for access. I still like the place a lot though, and I think some people may have been abusing the free service.

[This post is not in direct response to Feiren’s last post. It just reminded me of some other posts where people actually grumbled.]

I’ve noticed a few posts where some lament the fact that Wi-Fi is not free.

As most of you know from economics 101, there is no such thing as “free”. Somebody always pays. Internet access provided to you represents a chain of suppliers providing value-adds, and thus require a chain of associated costs. All of the suppliers in the chain have made capital investments of which they expect a reasonable return. Otherwise, you wouldn’t get Internet access at all.

This is not uncommon to how you live your life. All of you have made investments in something, whether it be to learn Chinese, go to school or invest in tea leaf futures. You invest in things today to get a return tomorrow.

Therefore, although I “enjoy” “free” Internet access with HiNet at New York New York, I know that one day it will not be “free”. And at the day it is not free, I will not complain or moan that HiNet is screwing me. I knew all along that it is what life calls a “promotion”. HiNet is taking a loss now (making an investment) in the hopes of getting a return later of a customer base.

They way I look at is that I NEED Internet access to run my business. I am willing to pay for that and pay well for it. I know from experience, epecially with the Chinese, if you don’t pay enough for something, the service will be non-commital. Therefore, I am perfectly happy to pay someone with a greed-motive to provide me with a reliable product.

In effect, the cost I pay for getting Interent access is an investment in and of itself. I hope that by investing in Internet access, I can run my business more effectively and make a better return.

Some places in the world (like Europe) have many “free” public hot-spots. However, this is due to a difference in politics. But regardless of the politics, the costs don’t magically dissapear. And when the profit/greed motive is taken away (as in a social welfare context), the costs tend to explode and the people who don’t use Wi-Fi tend to pay for those who use it.

Nobody has mentioned security yet.
You all should know that wireless is still VERY insecure…
…oops… no, I meant unsecure.

Most wireless hot spots in Taiwan (and the rest of the world) use the most basic elements of IEEE802.11b standards for data encryption (WEP). In plain English, the risks come from the use of static keys. The hot spot access point and your computer (with a wireless card) use a special key to encrypt all your data packets flying through the air (and through the walls).

A hacker, within a certain range of the hotspot (usually the range exceeds the physical limitations of the cafe or shop), can EASILY figure out what the key is (using downloadable hacker tools) and then log onto the network. He can then monitor and sniff (or snort) all those packets of data your sending from your computer to the access point.

He can then use the key to decrypt them and he’s (or she’s) got your data- that means your email password, your credit card #, etc.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES check email or buy anything online while connected with a wireless hotspot. Browse the web, but don’t submit any important data. Somebody may be watching- or snorting.

It is well known that WEP encryption is a joke but the wired network is not totally secure either. You should never trust a link encryption in any case. You should trust application encryption more (unless it’s made by microsoft). Things like VPN, SSL, and SSH allows connections to be more secure regardless of the link medium. You should not use non secure connections to transmit vital information. This applies to all connections, wired or wireless. If you use a wireless connection to purchase something on a SSL secured site, the data is encrypted by the SSL before it is encrypted by the WEP. Even if your WEP data is intercepted and decrypted by a hacker, the hacker still needs to decrypt the SSL. SSL RC4 40bit has been cracked but it was cracked by using a lot of computers working 8 days. SSL RC4 128bit still has not been cracked and would require a lot of luck or a quantum computer to crack it.

Bottom line is that there will never be a fully secured network. You can only make the data hard to crack so the people who want to steal the information will go somewhere else to try. If someone wants the information badly enough, they will find a way to get it.

Mark

[quote=“WarMonkey”]Nobody has mentioned security yet.
You all should know that wireless is still VERY insecure…
…oops… no, I meant unsecure.

Most wireless hot spots in Taiwan (and the rest of the world) use the most basic elements of IEEE802.11b standards for data encryption (WEP). In plain English, the risks come from the use of static keys. The hot spot access point and your computer (with a wireless card) use a special key to encrypt all your data packets flying through the air (and through the walls).

A hacker, within a certain range of the hotspot (usually the range exceeds the physical limitations of the cafe or shop), can EASILY figure out what the key is (using downloadable hacker tools) and then log onto the network. He can then monitor and sniff (or snort) all those packets of data your sending from your computer to the access point.

He can then use the key to decrypt them and he’s (or she’s) got your data- that means your email password, your credit card #, etc.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES check email or buy anything online while connected with a wireless hotspot. Browse the web, but don’t submit any important data. Somebody may be watching- or snorting.[/quote]

malibu in the zone. freee wireless connection. Its a snap, no fee, no hassle.

Chou

So any more on the list? I just got me lovely little airport card and only know of one cozy cafe in Dong Hu. Going to NY NY in a bit, will let you know.

What is this enome card I saw advertized last night. It’s a USB plug by the looks of things.

that’s purely a GPRS modem with USB connection to your PC/notebook,
but no idea how much it costs and how fast it is, anyone with experience so far?

cheers,

Most all of the McDonald’s in Taipei have it now. Also, it is pretty amazing how many people don’t set up a password on their wireless networks around town. I was in a taxi with my PowerBook and at most stoplights could get online on a lot of “default” networks. I even got online once on the “tcghall” (Taipei City Government Hall) network in the park across from city hall. Where I live up in the hills, so many homes have wireless (without a password) that I can walk around the complex and sit in the park surfing the Web.

I found a new coffee/tea shop that is quiet, centrally located, and has free wireless/power for your laptop:

Jing-Si Books & Cafe
10AM to 10PM
02-27236686
It is behind the tall China Trust building (white arched building). The China Trust building I am talking about is across from Warner Village. The building it is in seems to be connected to the China Trust building and looks like some sort of performance/opera/whatever hall. It is not hard to find if you just go to the complex behind the China Trust building. There is really only the cafe shop in there; not much else.

Very quiet (if there aren’t people lining up to go into the performance hall upstairs). Drawback … I bought tea for 150NT … But there was no pressure to leave, nor did they stop filling my teapot with water. They litterally begged me to come every day and had a team of people show me where the outlets were … not stingy in any way like Starbucks who proactivley conceal and discourage you from using their power for your laptop.

I guess since there doen’t seem to be very many people who are in the shop, they are in need of business.

You can thank Mayor Ma for this service… I believe he setup this initiative to have FREE wireless internet around many city gov’t locations and the park near City Hall is one of them… i think he also wants FREE wireless service on all city buses and the MRT in the future as well :!:

Three cheers for Ma Ying Juo !!!
Three cheers for FREE technology !!!

[quote=“jeremy”]
It is behind the tall China Trust building (white arched building). The China Trust building I am talking about is across from Warner Village.[/quote]

Lots of spots in the Warner Village area have wireless access. I spent several hours in the Lounge restaurant called IN HOUSE yesterday and they have power points too, which they don’t seem to mind that we use. Smoking is allowed, nice atmosphere, good music, alcoholic bevvies, pretty people and rather good food. Oh, and most importantly, plumffy comfy sofa booths.

After just opening my powerbook at work, I’ve found a free wireless connection from someone around here, 3 bars out of 4 too!! Perhaps it’s the mcdonalds around the corner? But you need to pay for that don’t you.

Anyway, does anyone have anymore hotspots to add? Alleycat’s restaurant will be a hotspot I see.

Bobwundaye near Liuzhangli MRT station is a free hotspot.

Cafe Oso, down the street from Grandma Nitti’s, has free wireless access. It also has wireless cats.

Citizen Cain now provides a free wireless access to the internet. I’m using it now for this post.

Chou

[quote=“chodofu”]Citizen Cain now provides a free wireless access to the internet. I’m using it now for this post.
[/quote]
Where is this place?

Anyone knows a place near the intersection of Nanking East Road and Dun Hua North Road?

[quote=“igorveni”][quote=“chodofu”]Citizen Cain now provides a free wireless access to the internet. I’m using it now for this post.
[/quote]
Where is this place?

Anyone knows a place near the intersection of Nanjing East Road and Dun Hua North Road?[/quote]

167 Dong Fong Street. Going south on Tun Hua pass Renai road, take your first right. Citizen Cain is on the right side about 100meters down the road from Tunhua.

Chou