Taiwan and lack of a drug problem

Okay, you’ve convinced me: Taiwan doesn’t have a drug problem.

[quote=“forealz”]check out this story of this foreigner’s experience in taiwan being caught with pot. him and his wife got arrested and imprisoned. for just “0.8 grams of hash”!! sounded like a huge ordeal. maybe this guy is one of you? hmmmm… :ponder:

taiwansurvival.com/taiwan-and-dr … ory/07/04/[/quote]
His story’s been checked out pretty thoroughly here:
[Headed for 6-8 weeks in a "rehab" jail; what to expect?

Other than seeing evidence of the use of drugs which have been deemed outside the scope of this discussion, and other than things inferred from things seen and heard in some rundown neighborhoods I’ve lived in, or heard in reference to these neighborhoods (and rundown neighborhoods 'way predate meth, heroin, crack, etc.), and other than a few isolated anecdotal incidents over a period of decades, from which no sound conclusions relevant to this discussion can be reasonably drawn, my experiences in the U. S. are pretty similar to your experiences in Taiwan.

When I was living in the U. S., I didn’t see any hordes of addicts roaming the streets, and I didn’t see any obvious effects of drug abuse on the population at large. To see open drug dealing, I would have had to make a special effort to seek it out. And I don’t recall ever being approached to buy any of the drugs which are considered to be within the scope of this discussion. So if I were to apply your method of analysis to my home country, I guess I would have to conclude that the U. S. doesn’t have a drug problem.