Taiwan, any hope for improvement for society at large?

Well you are just talking about some businesses are successful instead of talking about society and what are the improvements we could expect for those of us living and working here in Taiwan, then told me to f%^k off to Korea. So you owe me a major apology from HK. What a joke, a guy living in HK telling us to f%^k off to Korea!

I’m not surprised at such blinkered attitudes with people who work in finance of course. Sure finance professionals are always right, we all know that. Contrary to you I actually work in Taiwan, working in real manufacturing and scientific business for ten years and helped to create many jobs here. Export related jobs…high end and long-term stuff. I’m interested in debating more than how some companies make money and people are hard working…there is much much more to life than that.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“headhonchoII”]
Eh, Edgar Allen, take your insults elsewhere, oh I remember, you don’t actually live in Taiwan but Hong Kong, how convenient. Thankfully Chewy didn’t launch into a tirade this time , he had more sense :slight_smile:
This is not talking about economic achievements, rather SOCIETAL DEVELOPMENT. AS opposed to you Taiwan actually is myself and my family’s home![/quote]

hhII we also have a home in Taiwan, my wife and son are Taiwanese, we own property and have investments in small businesses there. Because my work took me to HK I don’t think you get to question my commitment to the Taiwanese part of my life…or am I missing something?[/quote]

Look between your ears. I see bright sunlight :wink:

Urodacus lives in Okinawa. Should we disregard his opinion here as well? I may disagree with certain poster’s opinions, but all too often in these forums I see this argument used (as with acdropout et al.). The thing is, if you apply it, it has to go both ways, including those with whom you disagree as well as those with whom you agree.

You don’t get it, he told me and others to ‘f$%k off out of Taiwan’, while he is living in HK and had no contribution WHATSOEVER to the actual debate about society in Taiwan. I’m still waiting for the apology by the way.

Definitely people living in Taiwan have more input to living here than outside, that’s natural. This is their home. It’s even more relevant when it comes to a debate about society improvements in Taiwan.

I don’t want to see the usual thread sidetracking by snide remarks and accusations. Maybe I’m wasting my time making any efforts to get people’s ideas and opinions. Maybe they don’t have sufficient breadth of vision. Just look at the last 20 posts…one guy going on about what exact year when population will peak, another about migration. But no real contribution. I’m going to be checking out of this forum for a while…need to do some work!

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Thanks to the few who have posted sensibly here.

The average wage in Taiwan keeps catching up on Hong Kong, which is seen as far more developed, and the average cost of property whether you buy or rent is much lower. Why choose Korea as your comparison?

[/quote]

This is a bare-faced lie, I have found the statistic before but cannot locate it now. HK wages have gone up on average 4-5% a year over the last decade. Of course HK is very expensive, income disparity. Anyway HK and Singapore are not good comparisons to make with Taiwan, they are city states.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]
I wonder how it is that so many foreigners can spend time in Taiwan and not only not be awed by the achievements of such a small territory, but actually go on to complain and bitch about the shortcomings of a country that they feel doesn’t measure up to life back home - I suggest you leave…no really get a plane and fk off to s.korea.[/quote]

I don’t think there was anything personal directed at anyone here? There was a previous post about how much better S.Korea was and having lived there I found it amusing. Apologies to EVERYONE who took offense.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]You don’t get it, he told me and others to ‘f$%k off out of Taiwan’, while he is living in HK and had no contribution WHATSOEVER to the actual debate about society in Taiwan. I’m still waiting for the apology by the way.

Definitely people living in Taiwan have more input to living here than outside, that’s natural. This is their home. It’s even more relevant when it comes to a debate about society improvements in Taiwan.

I don’t want to see the usual thread sidetracking by snide remarks and accusations. Maybe I’m wasting my time making any efforts to get people’s ideas and opinions. Maybe they don’t have sufficient breadth of vision. Just look at the last 20 posts…one guy going on about what exact year when population will peak, another about migration. But no real contribution. I’m going to be checking out of this forum for a while…need to do some work![/quote]

yah have a nice trip you won’t be missed

[quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]
I wonder how it is that so many foreigners can spend time in Taiwan and not only not be awed by the achievements of such a small territory, but actually go on to complain and bitch about the shortcomings of a country that they feel doesn’t measure up to life back home - I suggest you leave…no really get a plane and fk off to s.korea.[/quote]

.[/quote]
I agree with your sentiment. There is no need to apologize :thumbsup:

Good contribution Fenlander, what an insight. Your another one who has no value to add.

The future of Taiwan is looking positive. Although it will be even better when the doom and gloom merchants like yourself have left. The R.O.C. was succeesful long before your parents even had the idea of having you and it will be successful long after you have left the airport for the European super state.

By the way how did your country perform in the Eurovision song contest this year?

You also forgot to thank me for correcting your population predictions. Make sure you remember to thank me on your way out of Taiwan. Pick up some tea on your way out I hear the Gau Shan tea is all the rage in the European super state :thumbsup:

The wit! Go join the open forum or something. At least you figured out how to use google so you can post random links there, not that they will be relevant to anything. Your the type of person who can only snipe and poke, not very attractive traits in a person.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]. . . get a plane and fk off to s.korea.[/quote] But I can’t afford a plane–not even a Cessna.

Then just get a normal Boeing, or an Airbus?

Then just get a normal Boeing, or an Airbus?[/quote] No offense intended to Korea or Koreans, but if I could afford a Boeing or an Airbus, I’d probably wind up somewhere other than Korea.

Yup Bora Bora anyone?

p.s. I kinda agree. I been to Korea a few times and it all seems like one time. Theres not a whole lot to do.

:laughing: Now I wouldn’t have said that. I wouldn’t have said that at all.

What all’s in Bora Bora?

What exactly do you do here, HHII? I think Taiwan still has lots to offer, it’s just up to many of us in small/medium sized businesses to remain competitive in the face of the contractions, no?

No of course not. Large scale Chinese migration to Taiwan has NEVER occurred before , right?? Right??[/quote]
You mean like large scale immigration from the UK to NA? Is that set to happen again?

Times change…

No of course not. Large scale Chinese migration to Taiwan has NEVER occurred before , right?? Right??[/quote]
You mean like large scale immigration from the UK to NA? Is that set to happen again?

Times change…[/quote]

Well the UK is pretty far from the USA. TAiwan is only less then 100 miles from China.

Then just get a normal Boeing, or an Airbus?[/quote] No offense intended to Korea or Koreans, but if I could afford a Boeing or an Airbus, I’d probably wind up somewhere other than Korea.[/quote]

Yeah I know but “get a plane” means buying a ticket and getting on it, not buying the whole bloody plane. :smiley: