Taiwan baseball on its way to the Beijing Olympics

And let me just say… yay!

I will be attending the first week of the Olympics, including the opening ceremonies. The events I’m hoping to hit are gymnastics, diving, basketball, and probably baseball. The first two are definite, the last two are questionable only because of distance of travel… both are at wukesong, which is far from the rest of the Olympic Village.

The chances of this are unfortunately low, but I’m hoping that a last-second handshake between Ma Ying-jeou and Hu Jintao will allow Ma to attend the Olympics games, and that Beijing organizers will allow the “unofficial” flying of the ROC flag.

You should have fun. I was in ATL for the '96 Olympics and attended a lot of events. It was a blast and besides the bombing it was a very joyous, international, around the clock, 2-week party with sports included… And the fact that ATL is famous for it’s gentlemen’s club made the after parties even much more memorable.

YOu will have a great time though!

It is always nice to attend the Olympics in one’s home city.

I enjoyed watching Australia just miss out on a chance to play for bronze in baseball in 2000, and was lucky enough (by chance) to see an Australian grab a gold medal in women’s TaeKwanDo too (Lauren Burns, under 49 kg class).

I seriously doubt that the ROC flag will be allowed to fly anywhere in China for the Games or for any other reason. But I do heartily recommend that you try to unfurl one at the opening ceremony, near a foreign TV camera if you can.

If Ma goes to the Olympics it will most likely be to HK where he can join all the other horse races.

and good luck to the team from Taiwan.

Let’s have none of this sycophantic Chinese Taipei bullshit.

Yikes!
3 losses in a row!
Taiwan baseball seems to have lost its way. :frowning:

Four strikes and you’re out.

In all of those 4 losses they had a chance to win. It’s either lack of training and preparation, or a lack of tough-mindedness and smart decision-making. At the end of all 4 games they made crucial errors. Basically, they didn’t deliver under pressure, except for the last at bat in regulation of the China game.

Sorry, but supporting Taiwan in sports sucks…

Taiwanese people are party go-ers. Way into the wee hours. Every day. How can they be any good at sports really? Its just a game to them.

[quote=“cctang”]And let me just say… yay!

I will be attending the first week of the Olympics, including the opening ceremonies. The events I’m hoping to hit are gymnastics, diving, basketball, and probably baseball. The first two are definite, the last two are questionable only because of distance of travel… both are at wukesong, which is far from the rest of the Olympic Village.

The chances of this are unfortunately low, but I’m hoping that a last-second handshake between Ma Ying-jeou and Hu Jintao will allow Ma to attend the Olympics games, and that Beijing organizers will allow the “unofficial” flying of the ROC flag.[/quote]

Did you see the Opening ? And did you see some of the other events you mentioned? Lucky you if you did, I wouldve loved to see the Opening . Wow. I was much impressed with China’s holding of the 2008 olympics. Congratulations to China and the Chinese people for such a fine job !!

And boo to the TAiwanese baseball team for losing just bout every match. GOOD GRIEF. Those guys were supposed to at least beat the Chinese?? Who was at their first Olympic baseball game. I heard it was a good game tho. Too bad nobody I knew taped it for me to watch.

And yes, its too bad that the PRC authorities didnt allow the Chinese Taipei Team to compete as the Taiwan Team along with the ROC flag. They couldve called it the DAN DEE (local) government of Taiwan Team or some such?