Taiwan beer rewarded!?

I’ll agree with Monkey that Taiwan draft is better than standard Taiwan Beer, but for the latter, Mwalimu is certainly spot on.

If you have ever had a real tap-draft beer in Taiwan, than you’ve probably noticed that Taiwanese bar keeps don’t appreciate the need to keep tap equipment clean. They can take a perfectly servicable sipping draft, like Carlsberg, and ruin the taste with impurities. Taiwan beer has always tasted to me as if the brewmeisters are former barmen. Even the “premium” green bottle stuff, is inconsistent, and gives the kind of wicked hangover that is the hallmark of poor filteration, and substandard ingredients.

If you want to taste the best Gao-liang, or Shao-shing “wine” in the world, Taiwan is clearly the place to be. Beer, is a totally different question. By rights, the imported beer market should finally meaningfully open up, in accordance with Taiwan’s obligations under WTO. Quality brew at reasonable price should come streaming in. Microbreweries, like the one on Hsin-Yi Rd., which has had it’s brew kettles collecting dust for years, should come on line. Let’s see then, how many people stick with the old monopoly swill.

quote:
Originally posted by *monkey*:

if Heineken can be taken as a benchmark for european lager beers to be judged against

Can it? I always thought that Heineken is “The number one selling beer in the world” (As their ads go) in the same way as American Budweiser is the, “King of Beers”. I don’t think anyone would seriously say that either even belongs on the tasting table at an international competition of fine beer.

If the best you can say about “premium” Taiwan pi-jiu is that it’s “as good as” am extremely mediocre, mega-mass produced, every-man’s-beer like Heiny, then you haven’t said very much, have you?

Taipi is no great beer, but it’s one of those perfectly serviceable easy drinking beers. Very similar to the mai n brands back in New Zealand. I’m jsut careful not to drink more than a few cans if I want to avoid feeling like shit the next day.

I can’t believe it possibly won an award. Must have been the last one and the atsters were all thougroughly pissed by the time they got to it.

Bri

Remember, the beer that beat Taiwan beer was Miller Genuine Draft. Not exactly a battle of titans…

Bri,

Based on your spelling can we assume you had just finished testing its servicability when you posted?

I assumed that Bu-lai-en, when he wrote “Taipi”, meant, Tai (Taiwan) pi (pi-jio). An abbreviation.

I caught that one. I was thinking of the other typos.

quote:
Based on your spelling can we assume you had just finished testing its servicability when you posted?

It’s typos, not spelling. Oddly enough, I realise that (for example) the correct spelling is ‘tasters’, not ‘atsters’ (or whatever I wrote). I can’t type for shit, and can’t be arsed going back and correcting my mistakes. Quantity over quality any day.

Bri