Taiwan Citizenship for baby?

That’s a valid point. I honestly don’t know. I am still trying to get more info from HHRO.

As citizens can be parents of NWOHR kids, they can adopt NWOHR kids, I guess.

Practically, I guess you may not feel much differences on your daughter. Will the fact that she is a NWOHR with other nationalities cause much difficulties when your family will move to different places?

Technically by mid next year I will be a Taiwanese citizen and parent of a NWOHR minor. The only issue is I want my child to also become a full citizen, but without having to renounce her current citizenship.

This rule makes no sense. How can they expect a child to renounce anything?

Should be like in Germany. Minors get to keep previous citizenship.
I don’t get why Taiwan fights double citizenship so hard. Many Taiwanese enjoy this privilege in many countries.

The only other nationality she has is Filipino. I don’t know yet what are the differences growing up here as a foreigner child vs a Taiwanese child. I wonder if it will be like it is for adults here on ARC vs someone who is a citizen.

Last but not least, Traveling will be troublesome. I won’t need visas for most places but she will.

Germany is one the strictest European countries when it comes to Dual-citizenship but even they make concessions for minors.

1 Like

I assure you that for your daughter, practically there may be not much differences she would feel by the legal differences of being a NWOHR and a citizen, while she is a student. For parents, there are some different paperworks and some benefits that cannot be applied for, but she will be a Taiwanese child of a citizen, so most benefits may be applicable.

1 Like

Taiwan doesn’t fight double citizenship hard. Taiwan fights foreigners polluting its pure Han Chinese Race.

At least in the books.

It’s not anti dual citizenship. It’s anti foreigner.

1 Like

Shouldn’t they then also make Taiwanese who attain a different citizenship automatically loose their Taiwanese citizenship?
There are countries which handle it this way.

1 Like

That would certainly be fair for sure.

But let’s focus on opening up, not closing down.

2 Likes

Australia used to do that until April 2002. So when I naturalized here in the 1990’s even if Taiwan allowed citizenship without renunciation I lost the Australian citizenship anyway.

Why should Taiwan change its laws to strip citizenship of ROC nationals who obtain another citizenship?

1 Like

I always laugh when I read your comments Marco. Over 145000 foreigners naturalized since 2000 to something like 22,000 APRC’s issued. Taiwan sure did stop all these foreigners from polluting the Han Chinese race, which in itself is already diluted in Taiwan as many people have non Han heritage.

1 Like

Since 2000. The post was written in the perspective of pre-democracy. The law was written with that as the intention.

Foreign brides from Vietnam, etc. are popular in Taiwan. But recently it went down.

Foreigners who don’t want to give up their rights in their home country are mostly still being kept in permanent residency without voting rights.

1 Like

Vietnamese have to renounce their citizenship?

I’m married to a Taiwanese citizen and so are thousands if others. Are we foreign brides too?

Yes, majority of sea renounce to get Taiwanese citizenship. It is a step up for them and ends Taiwanese discrimination against them as foreigners.

People have different motives for marriage.
I am married to a Taiwanese too.
But Germany doesn’t have a law to regain citizenship easily when forced to give it up to get a second one.

Yes Foreigners, stop there. It matters not where they come from. I know on Forumosa people were claiming they were “better” foreigners than those from Vietnam or other Asian countries because they came from “better countries” Total nonsense. These foreigners from Vietnam assimilate into Taiwan society a lot better than a lot of other “APRC” holders. Let’s also face the fact they could have chosen APRC over citizenship after being on JFRV.

Just like I did they had to renounce to naturalize. We are all treated the same with the same rules.

Yup just like any other spouse of ROC citizen. :slight_smile: We are mere mortals not meeting the requirements for the elite allowed dual citizenship, which should be granted to all. However that is not the case, that’s life.

1 Like

That’s not a bad thing either. German also requires renunciation of those non EU countries to get German citizenship. A friend of mine from the village I live in is married to a German. Even to get German residency she had to meet far more requirements than foreigners need to get a JFRV. Would she renounce her ROC citizenship for German National. Not on your nelly. You could petition the German Government to allow resumption of citizenship like first world countries like Taiwan and other countries do.

She has also written a blog about the discrimination she gets in Germany as well. Comments to her husband like how much did he pay for his Asian wife, she will never be accepted as a German even if she naturalizes.