Taiwan Citizenship for baby?

My mother had to renounce decades ago.
By the way the law will change pretty soon. Which is nice.

Asians face difficulties pretty much everywhere outside of Asia. But Germany has decent laws against discrimination. So one has recourse if some place is specifically terrible. But also immigrants can be shitty to other immigrants from different ethnicities.

Renunciation is good for the soul. Shows commitment :slight_smile:

law changing because?

"mainly aimed at encouraging more skilled workers to come to Germany and fill the massive shortages in the labor market. "

Mostly because the conservative christian party has less influence.

Now the government even plans to legalize weed.
Previous government was deeming it a dangerous drug that leads to more dangerous drug use e.g. cocaine. :laughing:

When Australia allowed dual nationality in 2002 it did not include a way for previous citizens to resume citizenship. In 2007 a new immigration act came into being which allowed previous citizens like me, to resume citizenship. So I rushed out and did that in 2011 when I was visiting my lad and other family in Australia. I naturalized here in the 1990’s so renunciation or not, I lost Australian citizenship as Australia did not allow dual citizenship for Australian who naturalized. However immigrants who naturalized in Australia did not have to renounce their foreign citizenship. Not fair you will say but that was the law for decades.

So who knows there is hope maybe Germany will do this as well. Then again there is always hope Taiwan will allow dual citizenship sometime in the future. When my son was born in Taiwan he was not granted citizenship as the law before 2000 citizenship only came through the father being an ROC citizen, not the mother. That law too changed.

Yes the laws were relaxed. Before 2000 for me it was 7 years residency plus renunciation. After 2000 it is three years for those married to ROC citizens and 5 years for those not.

Pre-Democracy?

3 years for those on JFRV. I am married to an ROC citizen but wasn’t allowed to naturalize as a foreign spouse due to my APRC being for work.

Nothing in the law states you have to be on a JFRV. You should have contested that. The laws simply says have residency for 3 years in Taiwan and be married to an ROC citizen. :slight_smile:

People do file administrative appeals or file discrimination suits against the government.

1 Like

Why not? I did. Many other people do so as well.

I contested it a bit but gave up since I already had the 5-year requirement anyways, but they went as far as calling MOI and everyone’s reply seem to be the same, if your A(P)RC is for work, then you have to do voluntary naturalization.

Yeah no point if you already met the 5 year rule… But yes if you have not. MOI will say one thing then when it gets to admin court they cannot show where any law says you have to be on JFRV… Then for others they naturalize but MOI staff still tell people they can’t.

Nowhere in the Nationality act does it say you have to be on a JFRV, just married to ROC citizen. When I naturalized I started process being married, before JFRV or APRC, so 7 year itch required, renunciation before getting Taiwan passport or TARC, but when I got my docs sent to MOFA I was divorced and single. They are like wtf you can’t change your marital status. I said show me in the law where it states that? Of course no such rule exists.

5 Likes