Taiwan citizenship rules changing

Maybe I’m calling it wrong.

If you quit your job, you can change the visa at immigration to a 6 month “do nothing” resident visa.

You can’t work but you can use it to find another job, go travelling, visit home, etc, without losing Taiwan residency.

It’s a different arc purpose but immigration says it doesn’t reset your years of residency for citizenship or aprc. I hope :slight_smile:

Please elaborate. I do not know the qualifications to be able to apply for citizenship, aside from the denouncing of your current citizenship. Is it just like the qualifications for an APRC?

As mentioned, I presumed he was talking about the APRC.[/quote] Yes, if you’re Single, the qualifications are almost the same as applying for an APRC, the only additional factors are 1) You need to renounce your original citizenship and 2) You need to get a Police Clearance Certificate from your Original Country.

I summarized everything step-by-step on how to get Taiwanese Citizenship in this [url=Star World - Who Gets It? reading from Page 118.

[quote=“dan2006”]Maybe I’m calling it wrong.

If you quit your job, you can change the visa at immigration to a 6 month “do nothing” resident visa.

You can’t work but you can use it to find another job, go travelling, visit home, etc, without losing Taiwan residency.

It’s a different arc purpose but immigration says it doesn’t reset your years of residency for citizenship or aprc. I hope :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ah. It is an extension of your current AR. As long as you do not lose your ARC right, you are peachy. So avoid overtay, and try to find a way to extend it further until you can bag the APRC. Or get ROC citizenship. Whihever you prefer and fits your life better.

This article reports the Ministry of Labor is “moving in the same direction” as the latest legislative proposal. The National Development Council is also going to make a proposal.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Let’s hope it will be some real improvements, rather than some fig leaf measures. KMT is in opposition now, so for change to happen, DPP legislators need to get behind it.

1 Like

"“. . . there is no real change between the Ma and Tsai administration. There is lip service to reform, but the reform thus far has been extremely timid and benefited very few people.”

So far. Let’s see if that changes now or not.

The NewsLens article linked above is very informative.

I have been here more than a decade and have seen MASSIVE changes in how matters of residency are handled (admittedly citizenship is a different kettle of fish–there have been no substantive changes since I arrived). Of course the changes that have occurred regarding residency may be a matter of starting with such a low bar, and what was such an awful and unfriendly system. But to their credit, things have changed and many folks are pushing for additional changes. I have no idea what will come out of this but I hope organizations such as Forward Taiwan can continue to do their work. I support their advocacy work and so should all of us here for the long haul.

Guy

Yeah really tho when I first saw the headline I thought it was something beneficial or that makes the process a little easier but not really. Meanwhile Taiwanese come to Canada and become dual citizens. Love Taiwan but there’s no way I’m renouncing Canadian citizenship for Taiwanese lol. Honestly though I feel if the Marriage Equality bill can pass then things in terms of cumbersome laws will be change faster, not because the two are related but Its been a long way coming to a day where it’s actually a reality that it could be legalized and that has to reflect changing mindsets in at least some demographics in the population so maybe things like this shall be easier in the future .

The changes to citizenship laws have been coming (or more not coming) so slowly that I personally know many people who left Taiwan already and cannot avail of them anyway.
They just don’t want to hang around waiting year after year. It’s a bit sad.

More changes are coming http://www.moi.gov.tw/chi/chi_news/news_detail.aspx?sn=11391&type_code=02&search_d1=YYY-MM-DD&search_d2=YYY-MM-DD&pages=0

We should all write in and express our displeasure at the double standard requiring us to renounce.

Would I address a letter just to the MOI or is there a specific name I should write too ?

This giving a year to renounce is just so they can close the loophole that some countries won’t allow you to renounce if you become stateless, not because they are being kind. The rule changes are just to give an appearance of doing something.

1 Like

Yes, its all the taiwan way. Doing as little as possible. And not really changing anything.

[quote=“dan2006, post:33, topic:89966, full:true”]
We should all write in and express our displeasure at the double standard requiring us to renounce.

Would I address a letter just to the MOI or is there a specific name I should write too ?[/quote]

You could also try writing to the Premier, various legislators, and that human rights committee they have stashed away somewhere. I don’t know if any of them would pay attention, but you never know.

In addition, we need to get collectively organized. Forward Taiwan is already speaking for many of us. Contact them, and if you agree with their proposals, join them and support them.

As Peter Gabriel said (about a vastly more brutal situation than what we’re discussing here): you can blow out a candle, but you can’t blow out a fire…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ncVyxQRw70

Guy

The more things-achangin- the more they be the same.