Taiwan citizenship rules changing

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003649786

Heading in the right direction but but but but but (did I say enough buts?) they need to drop the requirement to drop original citizenship PERIOD…FULL STOP.

1 Like

+1000000

1 Like

They should drop that requirement for everyone except the Chinese.

And yet keeping the requirement to renounce your original citizenship. But Taiwanese can keep both.

This changes nothing for a lot of people, no wonder it passed without argument.

1 Like

That would be a middle finger of the ages, I highly approve this idea.

I see what you did there. :smiling_imp:

Yes it doesn’t really change anything for most people from developed countries, but it helps the women from undeveloped countries a lot.

Now if we could get us females some rights so we won’t be treated as wombs for hire and discarded after use, we’d be peachy.

I hope you do realise that legally speaking the government on Taiwan does not recognise PRC citizenship and all mainland citizens are already ROC nationals who lack household registration and have very limited citizenship rights in accordance with the Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area as well as the Additional Articles of the Constitution of the Republic of China.

Therefore, the procedure for mainland citizens to become what is usually referred to as “Taiwanese citizen” is not in accordance with the Nationality Act of the ROC. Furthermore, mainland citizens are already required to provide proof of household registration cancellation from their last abode in Mainland China.

Even if the naturalisation procedures of the Nationality Act were to apply to mainland citizens, the PRC would very likely not issue renunciation certificates as Beijing does not recognise a separate Taiwanese citizenship. Under both current and proposed legislation, that would mean effectively mainland Chinese do not need to prove loss of original nationality.

I am not aware of any DPP proposal to abolish the Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area or any DPP draft bill that would strip ROC nationality from mainland Chinese. I am quite surprised that the DPP would continue this One China policy now that they have the legislative majority and could easily change the status quo.

These considerations aside, I am eager to see the first constitutional interpretation by the Judicial Yuan once the new amendments to the Nationality Act are passed and a newly naturalised ROC national decides to simply not to give up his original nationality within the one year timeframe. Considering the equality before the law requirement for nationals enshrined in the ROC constitution, it would be difficult to imagine a situation in which some citizens are required to relinquish foreign nationalities and others are allowed to apply for foreign nationalities without any restrictions. But this again shows how important independent judicial overview is - lawmakers usually do not have any background in constitutional law.

Original link is broken. I think this is it:
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003650011

I don’t see much of a change.

FTA:
“A provision requiring non-Chinese to give up their original nationality before they apply for citizenship is to be amended to allow them a one-year grace period during which they can hold dual-citizenship, to avoid the possibility of them being denied citizenship after giving up their original nationality, legislators said.
Foreigners who are unable to abandon their original nationality for legal reasons or administrative procedures would be excused beyond the one-year period to do so on a later date.”

They still expect you to renounce your original citizenship after the one-year period. Only difference between old and new is that they want to avoid the possibility of people ending up stateless during the citizenship application process.

It also seems like this only applies to non-Taiwanese spouses. If you get citizenship after working here for 5 years, it seems like the one-year rule won’t apply to you.

So the one year limbo is still on and so is teh 5 year “you’d better behave or else”?

This is also a hiccup:

[quote]Yesterday’s review also saw legislators move to revise the language used in a provision stating that all expatriates must be “morally sound and without criminal records” to be permitted to apply for citizenship.

Several legislators said that the “morally sound” wording was too abstract.

The provision is to be changed to “without indecent conduct and without valid criminal records,” with legislators saying that they would ask the Ministry of the Interior to put together a panel of experts to determine how to define “indecent conduct.”
[/quote]

What about if I become a single mother? Would that be considered “indecent”? How about if I make a living as a lingerie model? Or I am LGBT? Or plain politically incorrect? Who draws the line and how?

[quote=“Icon”]
Who draws the line and how?[/quote]

I guess we will have to wait for the “panel of experts” definition of “indecent conduct”… :s

You can not get citizenship simply after working here for 5 years. I believe you are thinking about the APRC, which is not citizenship and therefore does not require you to renounce your current citizenship. No need for a “one-year rule” for an APRC.

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”][color=#FF0000]You can not get citizenship simply after working here for 5 years[/color]. I believe you are thinking about the APRC, which is not citizenship and therefore does not require you to renounce your current citizenship. No need for a “one-year rule” for an APRC.[/quote] I did! :laughing:

Please elaborate. I do not know the qualifications to be able to apply for citizenship, aside from the denouncing of your current citizenship. Is it just like the qualifications for an APRC?

As mentioned, I presumed he was talking about the APRC.

A lot easier to get citizenship than APRC. For example, the tax stuff is not required. 5 years is more than enough resident time.

I cannot define it. But I know it when I see it. :smiley:

Guy

I’m almost at 5 years residency, but once a year I change from a working resident visa to a 6 month open resident visa. Immigration assured me the change in visa type will not affect any citizenship requests, but on one website someone said you could not have changed visa types. Not sure if anyone can clarify.

Additionally, if I wanted to send in a letter in support of dropping the renunciation requirement, where would be the best place to send it? If enough people wrote in, we could get it at least on the list of the pile of things the new government could look at. Let’s get active on this guys.

[quote=“dan2006”]I’m almost at 5 years residency, but once a year I change from a working resident visa to a 6 month open resident visa. Immigration assured me the change in visa type will not affect any citizenship requests, but on one website someone said you could not have changed visa types. Not sure if anyone can clarify.

Additionally, if I wanted to send in a letter in support of dropping the renunciation requirement, where would be the best place to send it? If enough people wrote in, we could get it at least on the list of the pile of things the new government could look at. Let’s get active on this guys.[/quote]

What is a 6 month open resident visa? Never heard of it before.

What they ask is holding your ARC for “x” amount of time. Now, the only thing I know won’t give you citizenship is being a student, as time being a student does not count.

Working single can apply for citizenship. Married working or non working can apply for citizenship.