Taiwan could fine singer for singing at China national day

Why does he need to curse so much?

He was a rapper

1 Like

oh ok, he seems a little angry :grinning:

I think the older Taiwanese entertainment circle are sensitive about this issue. They all went there and did the dance and said the shit and see it as an extended attack on themselves

1 Like

Well he is kind of right that entertainers and athletes do not get that much help here. Lots.of Taiwanese basketball players go to play in China.

1 Like

I think itā€™s fine. Taiwanese know if you go there, they will make you say this stuff if you want to do business. If entertainers go there for concerts or athletes go there for sport , itā€™s fine. If they say Taiwan is part of China, they are proud to be Chinese etc, itā€™s also OK.

The issue is her taking part in a CCP political event

1 Like

Really? Taiwan direct investments in China in the four months January to April (despite shutdowns from covid) were US $2.38 billion. Total investment in China from Taiwan is over US$100 billion. Funny kind of war.
But by all means ignore that and focus our righteous indignation on a singer.

If Frank Sinatra flew to Mussoliniā€™s Italy and sang the Italian national anthem in the midst of ww2, how do you think US government and society would treat him?

IIRC US and Italy were formally at war; making huge investments were generally frowned upon.

1 Like

Are you talking to me? If so Iā€™m not sure why you think that. I know everything youā€™re saying. Iā€™m drawing different conclusions about a few things and I donā€™t have as strong feelings as you on others which leads me to place less importance on them. But as I said before, I donā€™t think youā€™re wrong on any of the actual facts, except maybe by degree. Youā€™re basically just stating the known pro-independence (which they donā€™t call it because Taiwan is independent) rhetoric, which Iā€™m well in touch with. I place a lot of importance on nuance, so I donā€™t really fully agree with anyone who has strong opinions.
Thereā€™s a lot Taiwan can do reduce their connection with China, but fining teens isnā€™t it. Thereā€™s a lot China could do to win hearts and minds, but backing a clown through CiTV wasnā€™t it, nor is most everything else they do.

Right. Wrong focus. A lot of what governments do is for public amusement. Nothing has changed.

1 Like

This much is true

Ok

Why would you say that ? Iā€™m not seeing any appreciation of nuance at all from you. Both parties are supposed to be anti CCP. I donā€™t have a problem working in China, doing business there, entertainers going there etc The issue is being part of the combined propaganda efforts of the unification war.

It doesnā€™t matter if you are blue or green both sides should agree with this and traditionally did. The only consensus in Taiwanese society is not wanting to be part of the PRC or åå…±ć€‚ If these laws are not enforced then how can you tell young people not to sell the country out.

Hereā€™s the deal as I see it.

If youā€™re a citizen of Taiwan going to the PRC to participate in a Chinese nationalist propaganda exercise (to be televised or otherwise beamed around the PRC), donā€™t expect the government of Taiwan to be delighted.

Whether a fine is the best way to address this situation is another matter.

Guy

4 Likes

Yes and all of these things can be written off in isolation, but the amalgamation of these policies create a sense of confusion and lack of identity and shared direction. And thatā€™s the goal of the CCP.

Thatā€™s very fair. And if youā€™re a citizen of Taiwan and donā€™t like what a teen celeb is doing, there are better ways to spend Moon Festival than getting worked out about it.

I donā€™t think you will. Best if I drop it.

About Han:

I didnā€™t keep up with it, but that right there is what I thought the big deal was, or in other words, that the people of Kaohsiung felt that Han viewed the city as a stepping stone to the Presidency. But again, I didnā€™t keep up with it.

About the PRC flag:

So somebody wants to put an end to it, but that suggests that it might still be permissible.

The board has a thread about people displaying that kind of flag; the first post was in October 2011, and the latest post was in May 2019:

@tango42 posted some pics in the thread:

1 Like

Yes. The fancy pants could perhaps spin today into a cold war II

Iā€™ve seen it since 2002. There used to be an office near Shandao Temple Station. Not sure what it was for, but there were flags there too and I saw a car there sometimes. There was also a communist temple somewhere, which was torn down for violating building regulations. It had been a perfectly legit temple at one time.

1 Like

Torn downā€¦violationsā€¦legitā€¦one timeā€¦

Taiwan in a nutshel haha.

Edit, sorry if already posted. If true, one of those times a kmt guy was far more logical and grounded than the rest. Banning flagsā€¦burning books next? I hope ā€œweā€ dont become like ā€œthemā€!

1 Like

Didnā€™t someone say the slippery slope didnā€™t exist earlier in this thread? When they come for the booksā€¦

Yeah. I did. The Slippery Slope doesnā€™t exist. It is a logical fallacy.

Plenty of democratic countries have banned displays of enemy support.

There has been no spiral down into dictatorship from any of those countries.

2 Likes

If you watch the Taishang video put up, they said that when they came back to Taiwan one year and saw the PRC flag they were shocked. Growing up in Chiangā€™s era and leaving in mid 90s they thought that was almost impossible.

But thatā€™s how China does it, drop by drop until they create normalization. Taiwanese just got slowly used to seeing the flag , but for returning Taishang it was shocking. Now you have Chinese brands holding top real estate in xinyi, Chinese computer game companies with biggest advertisements on Buses trains.

The problem with the PRC flag is that itā€™s used for mischief and to unsettle people. Those gangsters who fly it outside of 101 are trying to do that. Just subtly reminding people that time is ticking. So I think there is a decent case for banning it

1 Like