Taiwan Dageda back to discriminating foreigners

This is actually more a legal issue, but it affects technology, so I still post it here. Effective 2009-04-01, Taiwan Dageda has introduced a new policy, not allowing any other shop than their own official points of service to sign contracts with foreigners. Not only that, the foreigner also has to make a deposit of about NT$2000-3000. (Can’t remember the exact figure, but it was in that range.)

Why would that be discriminating? Simple: Mobile contracts are a bit like airplane tickets, if you buy directly from the carrier, you pay the most. If you go to any of the small shops or even chains like Lianqiang, which offer Taiwan Dageda or other contracts, you can get away much cheaper, up to a few thousand NT$, depending on the phone. So, foreigners are denied such “discount”, they are basically charged more. (Sounds like China…)

It seems they had a few “runaways”, and now all foreigners have to pay for that. It does not help to have a PARC, even then you are considered a potential “runner”. It does not help if you had a phone for nine years from another carrier and want to switch, you are still a potential “runner”. I had planned to switch to them, but it seems their business is going too well, they don’t need foreigners…

go home whitey

If I were a Board member of Dageda, I’d push to raise the deposit amount. :laughing:

That sucks…

It just shows how a few ruins it for everyone.

I never paid a deposit at Taiwan Dageda, but I signed up 12 years ago. A few months ago, when I got my iPhone, Chunghwa Telecom wanted a deposit from me, but I refused, and after an hour and a half of arguing with various levels of management, I won - no deposit required from this laowai. As soon as my contract at Chunghwa Telecom is fulfilled, I’m moving right on back to Taiwan Dageda, and I promise you I WILL NOT pay a deposit. I’ll argue with them, and I’ll win. All of you sheeple who go along with discriminatory rules like this are not helping the cause. Stand up for yourselves, goddammit! :grandpa:

There might be other reasons for avoiding Taiwan Dageda.

Yup, me too. I recently was informed that my meticulously maintained credit card issued by ABN Ambro was being rescinded after nearly 20 years because they were taken over by lame-duck almost bankrupt Royal Bank of Scotland. I’ve happily given up that card as I have several others, but I’m getting phonecalls almost every day from those dweebs pleading with me to just let it go for the sake of “good relations.” Ha! Fat chance, suckers! I’ve already been in contact with their bosses in Edinburgh, who needless to say are OUTRAGED! at such blatant discrimination and are dealing with the matter from their end (hence the ever-more frantic calls). I figure it’ll take a brand-new Beemer to shut me up.

I guess that they’re not aware of a little thing that goes something like this “the customer is always right” in this country…
Not that it seems to be considered the case in most places these days. With regard to the deposit, it’s the same in most countries in the world I think, not just in Taiwan and I know for sure that if you don’t have an ID number in Sweden, you can forget about getting most things, but then again, if you have an ARC…

I wouldn’t mind the deposit if it was applied in a reasonable way. Their approach however is “You’re a foreigner. Foreigners are prone to ‘running’.” (I would really like to see some figures of damage done by both foreigners and locals…) I’m tempted to associate a number of rather uncivilised behaviours everyone can whitness here every day with the people at Taiwan Dageda. Why should they be the only ones allowed to generalise?

But while I don’t like the deposit, it’s not the main reason I’m not quite “amused”. They could very well ask everyone selling their mobile plans to collect such deposit. They don’t. Instead you have to go to their service points where they do exactly the same other shops would do - but for a higher price. So what they do really smells like China, where you often had one price for locals and one for foreigners. (Do they still do that? Haven’t been there for long…)

Redwagon, that’s Far Eastone in the article. Accidentally, that’s exactly the carrier I would like to leave… (Though for other reasons that have accumulated for a while…)

Kid, you may not understand it, but I am home.

There are plenty of other carriers to choose from.

Not really.

• FET: Been with them for years now and would finally like to leave. They seem to be ranked third in size.
  • Taiwan Dageda: See topic. Seems to be second.
  • CHT: Is not much better. At least the people around here can be “complicated”. But this might perhaps still be an option.

Heading down the ranks, coverage starts to become an issue.

• Yatai: Is this number four? Anyway, AFAIK, it is only recommended if all people you know are at Yatai. I also did not hear much good about their service.

And what is left then?

I was at FET getting a new sim card and was shocked when they offered me a ‘free’ phone etc. to renew my contract. No guarantor etc. Of course I have been a customer for 10 years and have a PARC so they should, but sill… I was shocked. never thought I would see the day.

I have few complaints about Chunghwa Telecom.

Well it’s been a year and I found out today that they still have the same policy, I guess I will find a new telecom as soon as this contract expires.
Of course, I have considered going back to them right before I leave, pay the deposit, run up an extremely high bill and then leave. Is that unethical?

Prolly. :smiley:

PM me next time I’m in Taiwan and we’ll pay them a visit. Exhaustive (and exhausting) argumentation against discriminatory policies at Taiwanese bureaucratic institutions my specialty. :smiley:

I put a Dageda contract in the name of my girlfriend at the time to avoid the foreigner deposit. Now we have split up and she is going abroad to study, I want to put my name on the contract. However, the xiaojie at the Dageda office said to that I would need to have at least one year remaining on my ARC! She said it was a new government rule (I find this very hard to believe). The contract still has one year left on it. To be honest, I would like to ditch them. At least I need to change the contract into my own name. Any options?

I like CHT even though I had to pay a deposit vs. Taiwan Dageda which I got away without one. Their network seems faster and better covered in 3G, while the dead spots are pretty much at the same places.

If your GF doesnt mind, just keep it as it is?

Yup, me too. I recently was informed that my meticulously maintained credit card issued by ABN Ambro was being rescinded after nearly 20 years because they were taken over by lame-duck almost bankrupt Royal Bank of Scotland. I’ve happily given up that card as I have several others, but I’m getting phonecalls almost every day from those dweebs pleading with me to just let it go for the sake of “good relations.” Ha! Fat chance, suckers! I’ve already been in contact with their bosses in Edinburgh, who needless to say are OUTRAGED! at such blatant discrimination and are dealing with the matter from their end (hence the ever-more frantic calls). I figure it’ll take a brand-new Beemer to shut me up.[/quote]

Give’em hell sandman and Maoman! :bravo:

Homey starts singing “we’re not gonna take it…”

Why would any company give you information to confidential financial information.