Taiwan Economy Discussion

We got a bunch of one off threads on this but I thought maybe we can have something more general regarding economic developments in Taiwan.

I’ll start with these that got buried under Ukraine news. GDP growth keeps getting upgraded.

Exports and imports for Feb were released yesterday and absolutely crushed by predictions of less than 20%. Also seems like China bound exports are decreasing.

1 Like

sadly, i dont see any of this in my industry, we rely on international travel and without businesses travelers coming to Taiwan we have had the roughest 2 years ever.

4 Likes

War might shave some decimals off for 2022. Still on pace for 4%.

Beat expectations in Q1.

Korea Q1: 0.7%+

2 Likes

This is a surprise. There aren’t that many countries with AA+ and AAA ratings.

4 Likes
2 Likes

That’s a little bit counting chickens before they hatch.

1 Like

According to a BusinessKorea report on April 25, the International Monetary Fund said that Taiwan’s GDP per capita was expected to increase by at least six percent to over US$36,000 in 2022, while South Korea is estimated to edge up by US$190 to US$34,990.

They need to stop parroting fake news. IMF prediction is 3% not 6%.

It’s not fake news. The figures are IMF projections.

The 6% projection = fake news. IMF projection is 3%.

1 Like

There are other factors like exchange rates and stuff. 3% is real GDP growth.

The IMF simply did not make that 6% prediction. They need to stop spreading that crap.

1 Like

It did. If you compare the 2022 projections and 2021 figures, it’s a 6% growth.

No it didn’t. The Business Korea report is wrong.

It did. 36,050 ~ 33,780x1.06.

Unless you have a link to the IMF report saying so, it’s fake news.

1 Like

You are relentless.

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDPDPC@WEO/OEMDC/ADVEC/WEOWORLD/TWN

1 Like

I can see that in our office complex. There are some travel agents and staff (and boss too) no doing well at all. They do get some gov help but still not enough to keep their normal pay. Also food services very unstable. My company does business services and somewhat mixed in that some of our customers are doing well and many are not.

1 Like

If only GDP was an actual measure of overall economic growth. Cuz it’s not. Taiwanese people still generally live in tiny, drafty, moldy apartments and make salaries that are about 1/2 to 1/20 what would be needed if they paid their entire earnings towards the purchase of a slightly newer moldy apartment. Its really hard to say “the economy is growing” when the price of everything has skyrocketed but everyone’s salary is the same as it was 35 years ago.

3 Likes