Taiwan expected to surpass Japan GDP per capita in 2028

This article is more about Japan and less about Taiwan, but still interesting. Here is a quote: Taiwan has also made steady progress in digitalization under its digital minister Audrey Tang

South Korea, Taiwan expected to top Japan in GDP per capita in 2027, 2028 (kyodonews.net)

Not a bold prediction since the Japanese economy hasn’t grown for a generation.

People should stop jinxing this. It looks like it’s following that trajectory now because yen is very weak atm and it’s also a very volatile currency. If/when it bounces back Japan would be back up there again.

This is in inflation-adjusted terms, so I don’t think currency fluctuations matter.

We’re early!
https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDPDPC@WEO/TWN?zoom=TWN&highlight=TWN

Of course, how DAHEQ they know what 2022 GDP is when the year isn’t over is beyond me.

1 Like

2 Likes

South Korea already surpassed Japan this year. Apparently a big factor in this is population decline, however the same is expected to happen to S.K… and I guess to Taiwan too.

No. According to IMF’s October projection, it’s Taiwan>Japan>Korea.

No what? I said three different things, so not sure which one you’re replying to.

If the TW passport gets a better ranking than the Japanese, then that would be awesome.

That one uses World Bank, not IMF data, and doesn’t say what “real” means. And the report is not accessible. I tried clicking on the link and it takes me to a database that you have to filter.

I heard/read this news from different sources. Maybe all of them used the WB data and not IMF’s, which TBH I don’t know what implies.

I don’t either. I know exactly what the IMF numbers entail, but fuzzy on the WB.

Taiwan already gets access to nearly all of the countries Japan has access to. Which countries could you possibly want that Japan has? Pakistan? Venezuela?

World Bank doesn’t have any stats about Taiwan at all.

Whichever the source the results are the same. Yen is too weak.

But it´s not the top 1 passport in the world

Who cares? what do you get with being number one? What are you missing out on? What is the crucial travel benefit you get being number one over a Taiwanese passport?

I never imagined this would be possible. Forget 2028, here it is now!

Guy

1 Like