Taiwan Food Diaries - Quarantine Hotel Edition

Begone, unwashed peasant! It’s jamón! :wink:

I suspect it’s only news because of it.

2 Likes

yes been getting a lot of negative news

Good heavens, those atrocities make our office cafeteria grub look edible.

Edit
This is the cheapest around my place, 120 ntd bientang. It is very tasty, especially the pork hakka style.

5 Likes

Huge fan of Hakka cuisine. I’m starting to really miss Taiwan food.

3 Likes

I mean, it is cheap and tasty. The corner breakfast place caters for our neighborhood hotel. It is good stuff, except for the bread but local preference, ya know, anyways they have simple sandwiches with fresh ingredients from the local market, reasonable prices. A battalion of people working inside preparing food for the hotel, the UberEats crowds, the in house customers, the ones that phone their orders in… You can make good business and not strangle the customers with those atrocities which barely cost 50 ntd in some dark alley. Pay 70, charge 120 ntd to the customers, easy as pie. But no, dig the lowest bidder at 30 and kachin like these hotels do, even with captive customers in quarantine.

3 Likes

They probably think that quarantine guests aren’t returning customers, so customer satisfaction doesn’t matter that much in that case. And to a certain degree, they’re probably right about that.

Unless, of course, they find themselves in the news like the S Hotel. But even then: Not too many people will care about what kind of food the hotel served to their quarantine guests once all of this is over.

I mean when I booked my hotel, I knew that food probably wouldn’t be that “high-grade” because I specifically chose one of the cheaper hotels. Yet, they still managed to disappoint the little expectations I had :roll_eyes:

But paying more than double per night and still receiving that kind of c**p food? Well, I would be so p****d right now… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Like our local small hotel overlooking Bitan can do a decent breakfast. They could order lunch and dinner even from Kentucky Fried chicken next door. Normal rate is over 1000 ntd. They could make a decent profit and not insult guests.

One of you tech-savvy quarantiners with time to kill could always set up a Worst Taiwanese Quarantine Food Awards 2020 site or subreddit or something, for people to vote on the most unappealing-looking dishes and wait for it to be picked up by Taiwan News. Might get the hotels to up their game.

3 Likes

Day 4

Dinner

Could be worse - but as I had already ordered something, I put it into the fridge. And ate that one instead:

Day 5

Breakfast

Lol… Looks like they put a 10 year old child in charge of breakfast today…
Luckily, I still had the dinner from the previous day in the fridge!

At least the view from my room isn’t that bad:

And watching the road and all the accidents there definitely helps killing time :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

What would be really entertaining would be a daily video of these unwanted meals [edited] being slammed into the trash.

Anyway it is quite interesting to see what is served to you when you are literally a captive customer. Much more interesting than the other navel gazing lockdown ramblings on here.

1 Like

1 Like

How do you heat the food? Do you have access to a microwave?

1 Like

Nope. Just ate it cold.

Oh I feel sorry for you.

Wow…I just gagged a little.

5 Likes

I don’t want to hit the like button on the photos because I don’t like the food I see. However, it is good info for people coming back into Taiwan. People need a care package with fruit, salad, and other food besides those horrible cold lunchboxes…

2 Likes

Hey @qwert_zuiop, just checkin’ in: Still everything fine in quarantine? :smiley:

2 Likes

Hope he hasn’t starved to death.

3 Likes

Ah, no worries. Still alive and going strong :muscle:
Thanks for thinking about me :sweat_smile:

Day 5

Lunch

Edible.

Dinner

Didn’t eat that one - had ordered some sushi.

Day 6

Breakfast

Never thought I would be so happy about another “breakfast burger”. This time with salad.

Lunch

Dinner

Fish again. But honestly, when frying fish, should really take out the bones first…
Didn’t finish that one. Ate some chips later.

Day 7

Breakfast

At least this time, they added some vegetables. Not great, but edible - especially when being hungry.

Lunch

Nope…

However, the real letdown was the UberEats food.

Spent $180 on that one which looked quite good on the picture:

However, when it arrived, the meat was mostly chunks of fat with tiny bits of chewy meat attached.

Really pushes down the mood… :roll_eyes:

Dinner

Also edible. Actually liked the eggs and the meat was also seasoned nice. Only a bit chewy.

Day 8

Yay - first week is over!!! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Breakfast

The Kiwi was definitely the highlight of the day. Much sweeter than I’m used to from Kiwis in Europe!

Lunch

Nothing really to complain about that one.

Dinner

Also okay - just shouldn’t have waited until 6:30pm to eat - because then it was already almost cold.

Let’s see - after food was somewhat acceptable today, tomorrow might bring some unpleasant surprises :see_no_evil:
Or maybe I am just starting to slowly accept my fate of being stuck in food hell…

So much for now - I’ll keep you guys updated! :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

Another day in paradise!

Day 9

Breakfast

Chicken nuggets again. But this time double the amount, but without the fries. Already cold when they arrived unfortunately. And some breakfast burrito. Not exactly sure what was inside, but probably some mixture of ham and eggs.

Lunch

I really start feeling like they get some kind of discount on these sausages…

Dinner

Day 10

Breakfast

Oh, another breakfast burger…

Lunch

Dinner

At least most of the food was “meh” these days - which definitely is an improvement over some of the “eww” food I’ve had before!

5 Likes