Taiwan guavas are so different than Mexican guava

Growing up, I would visit my family in Mexico. There I ate a lot guava it was favorite fruit (except maybe tunas which are these little cactus fruits). But here the guavas are more like apple size and don’t taste like the guavas I remember at all. The ones I grew up eating were small with a lot of flavor. They were also pretty soft.

Do these exist here? Why are guavas so different?

You can probably find quite a lot of Mexican dishes in Taiwan that don’t taste as good as you remember them from Mexico. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah but it’s not even a dish I’m looking for it’s a fruit :joy:.

1 Like

I don’t remember well guavas that I’ve had in Mexico but I do like Thailand and Philippines guavas which of course are the freshest when you’re actually there in country. Still good when they’ve been exported.

Taiwan guava, even though somewhat limited, in my experience very yummy.

GuavaAtole3_thumb5

They look like this

1 Like

You can get this variety in Taiwan too, but it’s less common.

2 Likes

In Taiwan they eat Guava, like any other fruit, when they’re not ripe yet.

4 Likes

So it is possible to find!

Guess I gotta keep scouring the fruit markets

I’ve seen it most often at morning wet markets, like this one.

https://www.tcma.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=4E8C00BFE8664B5D&sms=69283D704CC8F75A&s=4BAD8459816463CB

3 Likes

You have to keep an eye out for them. Soft, almost creamy, and an incredible smell. They tend to be smaller (white and red). The larger ones can sometimes also be tasty, but that’s a hit or miss thing.

2 Likes

Don’t even get me started on lemons.

1 Like

Anyone know the Chinese name for that guava?

Guavas have been particularly bad for the last six months, maybe year. I haven’t had a good one from the markets or supermarkets for some time. Are they getting worse every year?

I’ve been getting good ones in the market. I’ll get more tomorrow and take a pic. Usually 10nt each.

Typically no deliveries after Dragon Boat holiday til Tuesday at the earliest from memory.

Citrus is an exception. Always overripe.

Ah, ripe guavas. Sweet, juicy…might have extra protein inside.

1 Like

In Juice form also a bit of difference.

1 Like

紅心芭樂

1 Like

紅心芭樂 isn’t the right kind. It’s similar in shape but it doesn’t taste like the Mexican guavas (other than having the same kind of seeds). I are this the other day and it still tastes the same as those big guavas that are common here only pink inside