Taiwan has highest ATM density in the world

I heard the density is now closer to one machine per <800 residents.

Singaporean bank DBS is closing their ATMs in Taiwan because there are too many.

1 Like

Yeah, just don’t try to find one outside of Taipei/New Taipei area…

1 Like

No doubt this will find its way in the tourism marketing.

Just like the convenience stores.

Come to Taiwan! Our convenience stores are everywhere!

1 Like

Can we trade a few ATMs for bins?

14 Likes

Or for a modern international banking system? :cactus:

9 Likes

While some people may be patting themselves on the back about this statistic, it probably speaks more to the inefficiency of other methods of payment here.

6 Likes

I’ve seen more and more places taking Apple Pay, but Taiwan still feels like a cash-based culture.

1 Like

True. but if there is one thing taiwan tradition is right on, paying in cash is a good idea.

Going cashless is a pretty dangerous slope to go sliding down.

5 Likes

Good. Having every penny tracked by companies with shady practices should not be considered normal, let alone desirable.

3 Likes

That’s why I keep a post account. The only place to get cash in the boonies. Even the middle of nowhere has a post office atm

4 Likes

Stores love cash so they can evade tax easier. Conveniently many of those mom and pops don’t provide receipts either.

2 Likes

Some don’t have to. Just watch for this:

3 Likes

When we lived in Hangzhou, there was a huge push for Alipay and WeChat payment. It was convenient because we didn’t have to bring cash anywhere, a phone would solve any problem. Of course, convenience doesn’t trump having the Chinese government know every damn purchase we made. Mostly consisted of Darunfa and KFC, though, so jokes on them.

2 Likes

It’s a nightmare for foreign visitors to China now though…I mean wechat pay…And they don’t accept credit cards in loads of places either. Really a pain in the ass and I’ve been visiting China for almost twenty years and now is the most inconvenient it’s ever been in some ways.

3 Likes

The Taipei mayor Ke P is pushing to make Taipei the first cashless city in Taiwan.

He’s an idiot. At least myself and Gain agree on one thing.

5 Likes

I am a Norwegian living in Taipei, and going from an almost cashless society to Taiwan is just being weird…

My wife’s mother even pay here 5 employees an envelope with cash every month… We stopped doing that around 50-60 years ago…

I love Taiwan, but the cash system and the traffic and insane unnecessary pollution (just ban the sale of new non-electric mopeds, would help a lot) is literally third world country…

1 Like

I don’t think it’s third world. Third world is getting a dollar a day.

You got your facts mixed up mate.

Agree that tax evasion is a problem here. Although I like paying low taxes.
And agreed in shitty traffic especially the scooters.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you has ever stepped out of your own apartment.

Anyway it’s much better to have ATMs available than not have them. Britain is quite cashless but there are always some places that don’t take card and that’s a nightmare. Many restaurants in Chinatown in London only take cash and guess what, there is only 1 ATM in the Chinatown and the queue is outrageous. It’s pathetic.

2 Likes

Have you been to Japan or Germany or Austria? Also cash-based societies.

And paying employees cash is practically unheard of. Your MIL’s company is weird.

1 Like