Taiwan has highest death rate from cancer in Asia

I teach 4 children who have had cancer. My classes are 40. That’s 10%. Can you show me how that is normal.

No. There is a cause for everything. It’s got to do with what we eat, what we breathe in, what we’re exposed to, our state of mind, etc.

3 Likes

Small sample size.

1 Like

In contrast to Western countries, China, Japan, and Taiwan have lower incidence of childhood cancer; however, Taiwan’s incidence rates of childhood germ cell tumors and hepatic tumors are higher.

1 Like

At that age there is a good chance it is hereditary.

1 Like

Yes, but that is enough of a cluster to make you wonder. Same kind of cancer?

I’m sure people have noticed!

Yes, but the sample is random and I never said it was proof of anything.

Taiwan’s cancer rate for 0-14 yo has been increasing at 1.2% per year. Linked in the article by tando.

No, one lung cancer, one a leukemia the other two I don’t know.

Well, you used it as an example of things that aren’t normal. There’s no way to tell if it’s normal or not with the information you gave and the small sample size. As a counter-example, I’ve taught hundreds of students and I’ve never heard of one of them having cancer.

1 Like

this may not be specific to Taiwan, as you may know.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(18)30498-4/fulltext
Increasing incidence of cancer in children and competing risks

1 Like

We are discussing Taiwan. So I will stay on topic.

I want you to show me the information your opinions are based on.

That is all.

Hearsay, speculation or anecdotal evidence is not accepted.

what do you say from this anecdot?

comparing Taiwan with other places are totally on topic.

1 Like

How is that an anecdote it’s empirical. I see it with my own eyes. I hear it with my own ears.

An anecdote is a brief, revealing account of an individual person or an incident.

That is an anecdote that you teach a class of 40 kids, in which 10% have had cancer.

4 Likes

How? Then what is empirical evidence.

evidence of what?
You said

You said that I’m saying something that is anecdote. So what then is empirical evidence.