Taiwan has highest death rate from cancer in Asia

Evidence is that tends to prove or disprove something.

There is a (anecdotal) fact that you teach a class of 40 kids, in which 10% have had cancer.
What is proved by this?

something with much bigger sample?

Empirical evidence - Wikipedia.

The assertion.

Jesus H. Christ.

And so it begins.

It’ll all end in temp…

1 Like

?

To be a whatever evidence, there should be a claim that the evidence proves. What is your claim?

Lol

1 Like

I think it’s the awful sleep habits of Taiwanese people. Having babies out with their parents at the night market at 11p.m. means there’s never a point on their lives when they get sufficient or consistent sleep. People think that grabbing a power nap on the bus can make up for the 6 hours of sleep they didn’t get the night before.

I say this because I know three different Taiwanese men aged 31-34 here who have more or less stopped smoking and almost never drink, but were told their livers were in rough shape and that they were at high risk of cancer. They go for days without getting more than an hour or so of sleep and then sleep for a solid week. Most people I know think I’m crazy for going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time every morning. Genetics might play a role, but I don’t have doctors telling me things are wrong with my body. Consistent sleep has a lot to do with that

3 Likes

From my classmates, let’s say about 20 are Taiwanese, two dead from cancer, three sick. About same age as me.

From my section coworkers, out of say 25 locals, 5 that I know had to take leave for cancer treatment/operation. One dead, young mother. Whole affected range from late 20s to early 40s in age.

Friends, neighbors… all ages, there is always someone who gets struck by cancer.

1 Like

That is insane. I think I can count on one hand the number of people I knew in the US who died of cancer. Two of them were over the age of 93 when they were diagnosed, so it’s hard to say the cancer killed them or they just died of old age…

Really? I can’t even count my peers from high school and college in the US who have died of cancer on one hand, and I’m only in my 40s. If I include older people I can’t even count them at all. It’s a major killer everywhere.

1 Like

This is a major factor. When I was a little kid, I was in bed by 6 p.m. Elementary school 8 p.m. High school 10 p.m. during the week. My last few years in high school I was allowed out until 1 a.m. on weekends.
Kindergartners in Taiwan are often up until 12 at night, getting up at 6-7. The one hour of “nap time” after the gloopy “lunch” just doesn’t compensate.
Not to mention the high school kids here whose only quality nap time is on the MRT to school.

I smoke and drink, but never go to bed later than 11 p.m. if I have to work the next day. I’m nearly 56. Quite astonishing that I’ve made it so far with all the pollutants I’ve put in my system. Sleep is important. Boring, but important.

Why so much activity? Guys I know with children puts their kids to bed by 8pm. Beyond that they get upset.

It’s often parents who work late, wanting to spend quality time with their kids. Misplaced quality inspired by guilt.

1 Like

So it’s not possible to have family life in taiwan if you are working?

My parents worked from 7-5. We had dinner at 6. How many people in Taiwan work those hours? They usually get home at 8-9.

1 Like

So that’s the classic work overtime? Is that the norm here? Seems this is why no one wants children.

I think “not wanting children” is more financially motivated.

Also I think nowadays children are raised by grandparents. Hard to have good family relationship that way.

The people I know who have died of cancer in the US, actually counted on one hand:

1. a classmate’s mom (when I was in middle school)
  2. my great grandmother (aged 93)
  3. my grand grandfather (aged 95)
  4. my grandfather (lung cancer? COVID sped up the process? pneumonia? who knows! he was 87 and had all three)
    (and no one else)

Here in Taiwan, I have had three students who are fighting cancer.

I also had a classmate in middle school who had a brain tumor, but, as far as I know, he’s alive and well today. My best friend in elementary-high school’s mom also had breast cancer, she also recovered.

And that’s it for everyone in all my social circles with cancer.

Now, if we start getting into six degrees of separation, I would say probably about 40% of Taiwanese people I know have at least one immediate family member currently fighting cancer. And plenty of young adults (35 or younger) where one or both of their parents died of cancer. And I know a lot less people in TW than the US.

US
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics#:~:text=The%20rate%20of%20new%20cases,on%202013–2017%20deaths).

• The rate of new cases of cancer (cancer incidence) is 442.4 per 100,000 men and women per year (based on 2013–2017 cases).
  • The cancer death rate (cancer mortality) is 158.3 per 100,000 men and women per year (based on 2013–2017 deaths).
  • the median age of a cancer diagnosis is 66 years

Taiwan

• males accounted for 61,779 of the new cases (341.3 new cases per 100,000 males)
  • Females accounted for 54,352 of the cases (284.7 new cases per 100,000 females)
  • the standardized mortality rate of cancer 126.8 per 100,000 persons
  • The median age for new cancer diagnoses was 63 years old
1 Like

Compare to the family in the old country. Main cause of death is vehicular accident or old age - extreme old age.

Granny was diagnosed with cancer …at 98. Lived to 99 plus. The other granny made it 103, no cancer.