Taiwan High Speed Rail - When?

… Which give them 9 weeks to test them… Assuming that they start doing so now… which I doubt…

How about a pool on the opening date?

My sister-in-law’s fiancee was working on the rail last winter. He scoffed at the idea it would be running even a few months late. He suggested a few years. He did, however, have a serious hate-on for Taiwan and the construction project, as he was being sent home and his job given to Japanese workers. We’ll see.

My best guestimate now would be 2007 2Q-3Q for it to be near 100% running. I’d say 2006 4Q would be a limited run, maybe between Tainan and Kaohsiung. Northern Taiwan, it’ll happen nearer to the 2008 Presidential elections.

It’s typical Taiwanese ingenuity…er SNAFU. Not only is the station construction not on time, but the core systems that run the train isn’t even finalized. They’re still redoing the requirement specifications!!! :wall: We’re not even at the build/implementation stage of it! :unamused:

Oh, and Truant, make sure those cables don’t disappear. There’s been a lot of theft of those cables down south running in the tens of millions of NTD in losses.

we can always fly in the meantime. i like the domestic service here. pretty good. but no peanuts like on southwest airlines.

I thought the High Speed Raiway is a private organization? I read they were having problems with funding and was secretly hoping for the government to bail them out.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2005/09/07/2003270724

Who are they bullshitten’ … deny, deny, deny and now … we are somewhat in trouble with our core sytem … and the HSR will be on hold … incompetence … :s

[quote]The consortium of seven Japanese companies – Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Toshiba Corp, Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd, Mitsui & Co, Mitsubishi Corp, Marubeni Corp and Sumitomo Corp – won the contract for this project in 2000.
[/quote]

They didn’t win the contract … memory loss? And now they are in trouble … hahaha :smiling_imp:

Moderator’s note: This post has been edited. Please do not quote entire articles, instead limit it to one paragraph or less.

Let’s think more realistically.
Probably somewhere around March 2008.

It was explained to me that the project will finish when everyone get their “fair” share of kickbacks.

:laughing: :bravo: I wouldn’t want to be that far down the trough. There’s not enough “fairness” to go around. :laughing:

Heard on the news today that the new ‘official’ start date is October 31, 2006. And the director is ‘fully confident’ it will start running by that date…

The China Post front-page headline, Friday 9 Sept.
And, not to be outdone,

The Taipei Times, Friday 9 Sept.

Here’s the winner, sub-headline in the KMT, sorry, China Post:

Uh-huh. Much as they’ve stuck to previous timetables, I guess.

When they stick to all the timetables in the future … than one day it will be up and running … won’t it? :laughing: :loco: :s :unamused:
Incompetence …

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2005/09/09/2003270935

[quote]The announcement comes after months of speculation that the THSRC would miss its deadline to launch the NT$450 billion (US$13.8 billion) train service after reports that the project was falling behind schedule in constructing its core mechanical and electrical systems.

The company had planned to launch the train this Oct. 31.

Ing yesterday attributed the delay to slow progress in construction, testing of various systems and evaluation of overall operations.

“It’s a pity to have to make this decision,” Ing said. “We are confident we can abide by the new schedule,” she said.

The delay will result in increased costs of NT$19.3 billion, lifting the total cost to NT$480 billion, THSRC president George Liu (劉國治) said.[/quote]

No wonder they can’t keep the opening date … they can’t even count :s

This has been discussed before, back in the day, and the real start up date was said to be October 2008, after the Olympics in China. Ask any engineer working on the project,they will tell you the truth. 2006? No way…

it’s not incompetence…it’s the nature of the game…

This has been discussed before, back in the day, and the real start up date was said to be October 2008, after the Olympics in China. Ask any engineer working on the project,they will tell you the truth. 2006? No way…

it’s not incompetence…it’s the nature of the game…[/quote]

I read that Taichung was supposed to get a subway too, finished by 2004, err 2006 err 2008 ?

Anyone got a immagination when will that one will be done?

Monies diverted to feasibility studies for a land/sea version of this -

…or when hades begins to feeze…

Seriously, I have followed the signs out to the proposed Tainan stop on the HSR to see what the progress is/was.
Its nil…zip. 2x’s I was there, during a normal working day period, there wasn’t a soul to be found. Deserted.

it’s not incompetence…it’s the nature of the game…[/quote]

Yep, I was talking to a friend on the weekend whose brother is an engineer on the project. It is at least two years from completion.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Monies diverted to feasibility studies for a land/sea version of this -

…or when hades begins to feeze…

Seriously, I have followed the signs out to the proposed Tainan stop on the HSR to see what the progress is/was.
Its nil…zip. 2x’s I was there, during a normal working day period, there wasn’t a soul to be found. Deserted.[/quote]

I drive in the Hsinchu Science Park each morning. There is a road construction ‘going on’ since 6 months to create a highway ramp (to highway one). People seem to construct there sporadicaly. Wonder why its all so slow here. Seems it might be finished 2007.