Taiwan High Speed Rail - When?

There are signs in Hsinchu now indicating the way to the gao1 su4 huo3 che1 zhan4 that will be in fact near Jubei (5km from the current center) :slight_smile:

I donā€™t like that they construct the station so far outside the cities but I guess its due to:

• Increase value of the ground (create another new city center and take off traffic from the other center).
  • Space issue, as a station is huge

[/quote]

Fat chance. She said the same thing last time. It will not be running at that date. More like 2007, ask any engineer involvedā€¦

[quote=ā€œMuzha Manā€]

Yep, I was talking to a friend on the weekend whose brother is an engineer on the project. It is at least two years from completion.[/quote]

One of the weird problems of this bullet train thing is that almost all the stations are far out from city centers, which means that to get to the station, riders must take a bus from the city center of Taichung, Taoyuan, Tainan, Hsinchu, etc, or drive out themselves, a ride of say 20 minutes to half an hour or more, depending on traffic and time of day/year, so the actual ā€œcommuteā€ on the BT (bullet train) will be very unbullet-like. More like a ricochet shotgun effect!

But the engines sure do look cool.

damn, wrong button :loco:

[quote=ā€œceevee369ā€]When the presidentā€™s pocket money is dun, the HST will run :smiling_imp:

(Do not blame it on the engeneers, they only do what Taiwan investors want)[/quote]

[quote=ā€œColaā€][quote=ā€œMuzha Manā€]

Yep, I was talking to a friend on the weekend whose brother is an engineer on the project. It is at least two years from completion.[/quote]

One of the weird problems of this bullet train thing is that almost all the stations are far out from city centers, which means that to get to the station, riders must take a bus from the city center of Taichung, Taoyuan, Tainan, Hsinchu (Xinzhu), etc, or drive out themselves, a ride of say 20 minutes to half an hour or more, depending on traffic and time of day/year, so the actual ā€œcommuteā€ on the BT (bullet train) will be very unbullet-like. More like a ricochet shotgun effect!
[/quote]

The stations are too huge to fit into the cities (my HST friend said).

the stations are outside the city because that is where the undeveloped land is. The people who own the land are will make a lot of money once things get going are the very same people pouring money into the project in the first place. Private funded railways are never about social benefits, its about profit.

Take a look at Japan and the Shinkansen stations there. If you see an aerial photo when the lines were first built in the 60s, the stations are also outside the ā€œcityā€ in green fields. You look now and the station is part of the city and the developments have fused things together. This obviously doesnā€™t apply to major cities like tokyo but does for other stations.

I was talking to someone who is familiar with the project this past weekend. He mentioned that the biggest reason the stations are on the outskirts of the cities has to do with the line of the track; apparently there is only a very minimal amount of deviation from a straight line that is allowable for the system to run at its full potential and that curves or deviations have to be accomodated over substantial distances. :idunno:

Makes sense to me, probably the reason that there is no station in or directly beside CKS airport.

Makes sense to me, probably the reason that there is no station in or directly beside CKS airport.[/quote]

That was exactly the topic of our conversation!

The French TGV station at Charles de Gaulle airport is also some distance from the terminals, but they have a regular shuttle bus ā€¦

The new MRT Line (Taipei Main Station to Taoyuan) will link the HSR to CKS, perhaps some shuttle busses, too, but it seems there isnā€™t much point in taking the HSR to the airport from Taipei. IHMO.

The new MRT Line (Taipei Main Station to Taoyuan) will link the HSR to CKS, perhaps some shuttle busses, too, but it seems there isnā€™t much point in taking the HSR to the airport from Taipei. IHMO.[/quote]

How long will it take to go from the train station in Dayuan to the airport? My guess is 10-15 min by shuttle bus.

The high speed rail will only take how long? 17 minutes from Taipei to Dayuan - therefore you will at least save 20+ minutes and get a more reliable service to boot.

The trainline arriving at Taipei Main Station is currently running approximately seven years late.

Itā€™s the cab-driving gangster unions! Itā€™ll never open!

Airports are Megastructures, Railway stations arenā€™t?

Most airports have shuttle facilities (i.e. bus) to go from Terminal to Terminal. Concerning Charles de Gaulle the TGV Terminal is actually just next to Terminal 3 (used to be Terminal 9). So of course you need a bus to go around to Terminal 1 or 2.

Last time I had to catch a flight in Taipei, it was early in the morning on a Saturdayā€¦it was raining hardā€¦the freeway was backed-up because of an accidentā€¦and guess what? I missed my planeā€¦well, I missed the 40 min. cut off mark, anyway.

One should not have to leave for the airport 4 hours prior to a flight in order to make it. Letā€™s get going on this, Taiwan.

[quote=ā€œKick-Standā€]Last time I had to catch a flight in Taipei, it was early in the morning on a Saturdayā€¦it was raining hardā€¦the freeway was backed-up because of an accidentā€¦and guess what? I missed my planeā€¦well, I missed the 40 min. cut off mark, anyway.

One should not have to leave for the airport 4 hours prior to a flight in order to make it. Letā€™s get going on this, Taiwan.[/quote]

4 hours? That should actually be enough to start from Taichung ā€¦

[quote=ā€œMr Heā€]How long will it take to go from the train station in Dayuan to the airport? My guess is 10-15 min by shuttle bus.

The high speed rail will only take how long? 17 minutes from Taipei to Dayuan - therefore you will at least save 20+ minutes and get a more reliable service to boot.[/quote]
If you factor in that you also need to get to the train station, wait for the train, need a couple of minutes to transfer from train to bus and the inconvenience that comes with changing transportation than it is not very attractive, IMO. It takes only 45 minute by car from Guting to CKS (during CNY it took only 33), convenient since itā€™s door-to-door and comfortable as it gets.

I donā€™t know why they couldnā€™t just have the Taoyuan HSR station right by the airport, if you go to the airport, you go under the path of HSR a few kms before reaching the airport, the station can be underground, with a station right next to Terminal 2 or a little further.

As for MRT from Taipei to the airport, itā€™s just another way to rip off tax payersā€™ money (scandal anyone?). The infrastructure is already there, Taoyuan-Linkou railroad, all they have to do is extending the line to the airport, after all, MRT is not suited for inter-city connections, a train dedicated for airport transit to Taipei Main Station with far fewer stops works much better.

Either one of the above 2 options would easily solve the traffic jams on both freeways, what are the politicians thinking? :loco:

So has anyone heard about the October 31, 2006 opening date?

Has there been any talk about it in the news recently?