Taiwan is a xenophobic country. Change my mind

The difference is society today teaches guilt not empathy. People feel bad but they are not sure why, just that the media tells them they are bad for feeling differently.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever heard mainland Chinese being easier to get along with. Chinese are even more ethno-nationalist than Taiwanese in my experience.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve come to realise over the last four or five months is that I really like your posts and I enjoy learning from what you write. :v:

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Absolutely chimes with my thoughts too, Dan. And it isn’t that healthy guilt (that reminds you you are out of line with your core values) it’s that destructive guilt (that tells you off for being a bad boy or girl).

1 Like

What descriptor would be better?

Which society are we talking about?

Shit baggery?

Arse hattery?

Dick holery?

Wankstainish?

I’m having fun.

It not about descriptors, it’s about the mindset that a Mexican/Indonesian/Frenchman would be equipped with the knowledge and experience to explain the culture, tastes, etc. of an INDIVIDUAL from a completely different background (maybe a young female from the Ukraine). Clumping people into a “not us” category is ignorant and borders on being so basically stupid that it might be conceived as intentional.

In my experience, it would be very rude to assume a person’s ethnicity based on their appearance. “Hey, why do you Koreans like kimchi so damn much?” “I’m Thai. Personally, I don’t care for it.”

2 Likes

I think it helps to utilize the Socratic method when confronting this type of thinking. Try to remain neutral and not be emotionally reactive. Just use questions to expose the logical fallacies in their statements. Taiwanese that I’ve met have been very rational so, using rational exercises to explain the holes in archaic/toxic beliefs is the most effective way to change people’s minds.

I guess it’s still morning. :rofl:

Jokes.

1 Like

Foreigner does the job.

Ah, yeah I was thinking of the behaviour. I much prefer to be called an alien like they do in Japan. Makes me feel superior when ozmotically imbibing soup through my fronds.

Xenophobic, ignorant, racist, inviting, warm, friendly. Yeah all of them. Some parts have more of a particular type than other parts.

But mostly ignorant.

Also there is a large section of the population that looks down on westerners.

And black people, regardless of their origin, are treated very badly here. But not as badly as in Japan.

Xenophobic no, Myopic or hayseed yes.

But I think a lot of foreigners benefit from it.

If Taiwan were full of Vanity Fair and New Yorker reading cosmopolitan elites, would “Johnny English teacher” make ESL wages and have a bevy of local beauts?

My boss telling me we pay Italians less cause they are lazy foreigners with fake degree and broken German.

I have very old relative, brother of grandfather who had to do manual work under slave conditions in 50s in Australia for sake of being German. When we mention history let’s not forget millions of white guys being send to death in wars. Serbia for example lost half of male population during 1914 to 1918. And in today days young white Ukraines are dying like flies in winter

Taiwan was incredible lucky in the last 150 years. When Taiwanese guys have been send in death on masse? Japanese have been nice to you (comparing to others), so are Americans, and even Chinese are nice too. Thousands of Taiwanese business people made fortunes with factories in China.

Taiwanese are the most privileged from all Han Chinese people

Not difficult is it given the cohort of countries we are referring to. I would say Japan and Korea are further ahead though given their nationality and residency laws for immigrants are actually better than Taiwan and Japan in particular has a large number of immigrants of different racial backgrounds working in all kinds of jobs there.

This is basically the answer to the question. I fully agree

True hatefilled racism is relatively rare here. It’s just an education problem . Which needs some evolving, sure. But I wouldnt consider Taiwan xenophobic either.

2 Likes

Is Taiwan xenophobic?

White privilege

Sigh…

But hey, yellow privilege is without doubt alive and well here! Just ask the first nations about their colonizers :innocent:

I rather enjoy not being the most oppressive skin tone for people to throw their hate towards :slight_smile:

1 Like