Taiwan is a xenophobic country. Change my mind

Another point I wanted to make. “Chinese”, and perhaps in a much lesser degree “Taiwanese” are polysemic words, more than let’s say “German”, for they can be used to denote nationality and ethnicity. If you add to that the fact that one has been implying the other for centuries, you understand how this term and topic can be tricky and confusing.

Still I think these people making these objections are mostly stupid.

1 Like

I understand that as I am also constantly negotiating something. The difference in how you negotiate can be determined by the leverage you have. And as foreigners, we have little to none. So obviously a hardline approach will do nothing. Canberra, Ottawa or DC is not going to step in and save us.

1 Like

I work in a company that has no marketing leverage in the marketing portion of the IT industry in a position that has no leverage.

And I still walk away with wins. Because I take the time to understand their side. And then use that. It’s time consuming. It’s frustrating. But it works.

Love and kindness. :pray:

4 Likes

Taiwanese can be ignorant with us. It sucks but we are immigrants and we knew the deal when we chose to move here. Gradual improvement is enough as long as the ignorance doesn’t become hostile.

For kids it’s different. If they are born and raised in Taiwan then they should be treated as 100% Taiwanese, regardless of their parents origin. There cannot be any leeway or gray zone here. This is their home and it should feel like it.

9 Likes

Call it whatever you want, ignorant or xenophobic, I always feel weird next to Taiwanese. They have their own logic, weird common sense for doing things. Even here in Germany we hang out more with Chinese. I personally hardly develop friendship with Taiwanese guys.

I realize dealing with Taiwanese management is energy killing situation and there is more nonsense to experience when putting kids in local education system. It wasn’t worth it. I like going to holidays in Taiwan but year of living theere was enough. Life is too short

Having grown up in Taiwan I do feel that Taiwanese have an US vs THEM thinking that is provincial

Taiwanese can often tell which part of Taiwan you hail from by your Taiwanese accent and there are some stereotyping of Taiwanese by Taiwanese

This being their nature of course they are going to think of non Taiwanese as not the same
And although they will co exist with you you will never be the same

I’m half Taiwanese ethnically and was born and raised in Taiwan and my Taiwanese friends deep down inside think I’m different

It’s ok

Vive la difference

5 Likes

Yes but being different can be an advantage
It definitely was for me

1 Like

49 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion on privilege etc

I’m a user and I believe what you say. To a degree.

Taiwan’s a relatively homogeneous country. Of course people will be xenophobic. They’re not bad though. Pretty tolerant, in my experience.

Idk why some foreigners are so shocked to see taiwanese being racist to them. Its stupid to come to a country and expecting everyone to treat them with fairness and equality. Yes, thats what we desire but we dont really live in that world. People have different colors, no matter which country.
And besides we often overlook what we get and only focus on what we dont. If an american here feels taiwan is unfair and racist to him, then he is lucky he isnt a SA migrant worker here.

Also, if you have a taiwanese partner, married to a taaiwnese then dont forget its a “taiwanese” that accepted you and made you a part of their life so why say taiwanese are racist. So your partner is racist to you as well?

Also you got a job here and probably pays you more than most taiwanese sooooo ???

I am not saying there arent people in taiwan that are racist, but thats how every country is. Such people are everywhere. Just be grateful for whatever opportunities u have gotten here , the people who decide to stick with you and then dont bother about anyone else. simple.

1 Like

I disagree with being thankful no matter what. If something is wrong it’s wrong, and needs to be stood up against.

5 Likes

It’s not that foreigners get paid more, it’s that the system filters out those who would get paid more. Many people I know without degrees working minimum wage would love to come here to teach English and better themselves and enjoy some social mobility.

This is a perception that has nuance that is ignored.

I would rather get paid less and have access to the investment freedoms locals have, instead of making more but can’t get loans and stuff.

I can’t really be thankful for actual injustices.

1 Like

It does get really tiresome always being defined by your ‘foreignness’ in Taiwan. I’m not just talking about off-hand comments by amah in the breakfast shop, or random man who decides to practice his English in McDonalds…I’m talking about smart, well-travelled, young people who really should know better. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve heard or been asked:

“Why do foreigners…?”
“I didn’t know foreigners…”
“All foreigners…”
“I like foreign…”

Just absolutely gormless behaviour to lump 6 billion or so different people under one stupid descriptor. It gets hard to build relationships when people see you not as an individual, but as a proxy for the entire world outside of 1 small island nation.

5 Likes

Most people here are white people. They don’t want to believe their own countries are horrible to immigrants too. With the exception of Canada and States, countries tend to be inconvenient for immigrants.

Still Taiwan should do better.

1 Like

This is ridiculous. From 500 000 self made millionaires in Taiwan maybe they are like 10 white dudes among them

1 Like

All of my Taiwanese friends earn far more than I do and drive European luxury cars…

4 Likes

The beauty of language, Marco. :hugs:

1 Like

It’s like… in Canada we’re reminded of the diversity, so people and news are kind of trained to place ourselves in others’ shoes. News reports on discrimination treat it as a negative thing. The general attitude is different because we’re taught diversity from a young age.

Taiwan is relatively new to this kind of thing. So it’s good to understand where they come from to try to adjust our strategies.

3 Likes

When I was a kid that was called empathy. If you didn’t have it, you were simply a jerk. These days everyone is on some ridiculous journey of self discovery. Life coaches, personal mentors, trainers, gurus. It’s too much.

Full disclosure, I just woke up. I may have my morning grump on. I own that.

3 Likes

Sure, but it’s really hard to empathise if you don’t know what’s going on either.

When I actually tell Taiwanese about the issues, then they are able to empathise.

The main problem in Taiwan is lines of communication.

As someone from both an immigrant-country and an ethnostate, I can see where the Taiwanese come from and adjust my strategy. Many of the attitudes in Taiwan can often mirror those in European ethnostates like Italy.

4 Likes