Discussion on privilege etc

Users here don’t believe in white privilege and Western privilege. They think it’s woke nonsense.

When you are white you are privileged everywhere. Even more so when you are white from a first world country. That is a fact.

3 Likes

Hahahahaha I have certainly noticed that too. There are other threads about how Forumosa has a disproportionally high number of right-wingers compared to real life in Taiwan.

1 Like

That’s a bunch of crap. I’m an Australian aboriginal and I get far better treatment than the white colonisers. Things such as university scholarships and even guaranteed admission into my degree. (Despite not actually having the score required) I felt quite guilty at the privilege I was given. But I took advantage of it and worked hard. Many aboriginals I know are just lazy… Yes, as a brown aboriginal I am saying that!

7 Likes

Everything else you’ve said in this thread I have no truck with.

Sensitivity training exists because people have become too afraid to own responsibility for their own opinions and behaviours. It’s a way for companies to tick a box and push responsibility back onto the employee.

F@ck sensitivity training. It is wokery at its worst. Trigger warnings are fair enough. Sensitivity training is idiotic, expensive, divisive nonsense.

3 Likes

I couldn’t think of a better word.

2 Likes

Oh man, they got to Gain. He/she/ it are a gonner.

Thoughts and prayers to their family.

1 Like

What I hate in Australia is the acknowledgement of aboriginal land.
Everytime someone speaks at some important event they have to say “I pay my respects to the traditional owners of this land.”

It is also posted on nearly every organizations websites

It means nothing and it’s annoying.

2 Likes

White guilt definitely exists. But, ya know, we are also humans, so we also don’t actually really give a damn.

2 Likes

Being white makes you a target in many many countries.

1 Like

2 Likes

No better way to disprove your point than a picture from 1938. Now don’t you look silly!

Not at all. The “white privilege” cult thinks it goes back to the nation’s founding and has been around ever since.

4 Likes

There is white privilege but it’s NOT universal. In my opinion (as a non white person) an assertion that white people cannot be discriminated against or somehow inherintly have privilege in every situation and in every context is by definition a racist claim.

All we have to do to see this is too look at the racial hirearchy of different white ethnicities in Europe to see that simply “being white” isn’t enough to equal universal privilege

Personally, I think humans gravitate towards favoring their ingroup and the best way to tackle this is to work on reframing what it means to be a member of said group. For example if you expand the definition of American to encompass people who share certain core beliefs and patterns of behavior, this should supercede racial identity. Sure americans would still favor other Americans, but at least within that society, there would be more flexibility and therefore less conflict

4 Likes

Just figured if you googled poor white people you could find something more recent.

No, it is not. That is an opinion. The Irish weren’t all that privileged when they arrived to NYC. Nor were the Scots. Or are you only talking about now, ie, woke time?

7 Likes

Every time is woke time. Don’t get me started on Cro-Magnon privilege… :smirk:

I believe that has been deemed Presentism, and it’s an offshoot of modern tech led narcissism.

1 Like

They’d just say you’re an anachronism…or worse, a Republican. :sweat_smile:

I would say being white is still more advantageous than being black in most parts of the world. Not that skin color automatically means you won’t be poor but there can be certain advantages like finding an English teaching job in East Asia easier than another race.

They can eat a dick.

1 Like