Taiwan is LOUD (compared to Europe) & drivers can only be as bad as the roads let them

I force cars to stop.

2 Likes

How many times have you been hit?

Some cities in Europe are very loud.

3 Likes

But they are more beautiful.

Nobody wants to hit a foreigner because of the bad publicity and extra paperwork.

Don’t worry, they’ll soon be able to afford to upgrade to cars with loud exhausts and engines and stereos blasting rap music- a lot of them already have.

1 Like

If only they blasted rap music. It’s almost always mind-numbing EDM…

2 Likes

Yeah… some admin/moderator/user-with-power added the (compared to Europe) at the end of the title topic, and I repositioned it to the middle of the title, because I thought it made more sense.
It was not supposed to be a comparative post though, at least not further than the videos compare the Netherlands to other places.
Maybe we can remove that again.

1 Like

I honestly don’t feel unsafe walking around in Taiwan. In Europe I worry about getting stabbed and robbed. Or another terrorist attack from the religion of peace.

5 Likes

You wouldn’t be stabbed.

Big fat 0.

2 Likes

You hope? Or you wish? Maybe you can try to command? Have a vote?

How many near misses?

I walk confidently. Scooters know to go around me. Cars know to avoid a lawsuit. I am predictable. I just let them brake up to me and I cold stare 'em in the face.

I got into a spat with a driver that wanted to run an all way stop. Told me to go fuck myself for making him stop while I was crossing and attempted to spit on me.

But misses are incredibly rare and none of them with enough novelty to actually bother remembering them.

I know where the cars around me are and I lock gazes with anyone approaching me.

4 Likes

For me, 0.

I think if you’re used to walking around Europe without any awareness of traffic. You’d feel like there’s a bunch of near misses because you weren’t being aware.

1 Like

Yeah. The stroads in Canada and the US are particularly unforgiving to pedestrians. While drivers are not nearly as lawless, the stroad design supports high speeds and is unforgiving to pedestrians. Especially with the entitled cyclists in Toronto.

I would meet your Taichung, and raise you a Taoyuan!

Guy

3 Likes

Walking on a dedicated foot party would avoid these issues you raise.

1 Like

Never been.

Other formosans may fill you in on some of the joys of being a pedestrians there (i.e. in Taoyuan). :upside_down_face:

Guy

I grew up with dedicated pedestrian footpaths. It was eye watering the first time walking in Taipei . Heart in mouth situation.