Taiwan is LOUD (compared to Europe) & drivers can only be as bad as the roads let them

And in Japan

Thatā€™s what they need to do according to the rules, if not they can get fined. And not only in Switzerland.

2 Likes

It makes for a good parking spot in front of a convemient store tho.

Youā€™re complaining about Taipei, but things are a lot worse in the rest of Taiwan.

Lol heā€™s American

2 Likes

Canā€™t agree more, fonserbc. Just yesterday I walked by a delivery truck pulled over to curb. Driver left itā€™s blinker on while doing whatever inside vehicle, oblivious to the ear-piercing noise everyone suffers as they walk by etc. I love the idea of making that noise as loud inside the vehicle (blinker beeps, horns etc) as it is outside (if not louder!).

I live in a building 9th floor, lots of traffic below. Every time a farting scooter or car goes buy it reverberates between buildings becoming loud enough to wake the dead. People seem to think itā€™s cool to do this at 1am, 3am, 5amā€¦

If anyone wants to organize an effort to not only create rules/laws to prohibit such noise pollution but to enforce it (via cameras with shotgun mics that record and auto-ticket culprits for example), letā€™s talk. Taiwan is a wonderful place ā€“ and yet it could be so much more lovely if the noise was curtailed to a level that enables healthy and peaceful living vs. the one-upsmanship of noisy/farty vehicles for the sake of ā€œsafety.ā€

1 Like

They do check for noise pollution tho

2 Likes

To be devilā€™s advocate though, youā€™re inadvertently going over 50kmh sometimes.

In Canada where heā€™s (and I am) from, 50kmh is too slow, because of the wide forgiving roads. These collisions happen because people are going 70-80 kmh. Taiwanā€™s narrow roads full of parked scooters and pedestrians make it very difficult to do those kind of speeds. Even 40 feels fast. Canadian stroads invite you to speed. Itā€™s not even considered a bug, itā€™s a feature. 400 series highways are designed for safe travel of up to 130 kmh in normal conditions but they impose an arbitrary 100kmh maximum.

1 Like

Thank heaven there is still Germany where you can go stretches at unlimited speed.

The rules here are the sameā€¦the difference is no one cares, police included.

Taiwans firs rule: Itā€™s not a problem until its a problem.

Police wont do shit, but if aguy on a crosswalk gets smacked into, guess who wins in court? Why? Because we do have the same basic rules here a most places.

Though the style is to keep making more rules here because god forbid you ask the society to start being responsible or the police to do their jobs.

When I lived in Neihu on the 5th floorā€¦every work day at 19:30 a motorcycle would drive through the alley below our apartmentā€¦with a very loud muffler. I mean very loud. I could hear the motorcycle for 40 seconds after passing by our apartment. Yes, I measured as was amazed in that noisy city I could still hear the motorcycle that long on top of the other noise.
Now I live in the countryside but there is a large road about 500 meters from our house. The young guys with their loud car mufflers can still be heard at our house. Of course, the loudest is when they are passing by the police station.

2 Likes

Taiwanese need to by themselves some Gogoros.

2 Likes

They already have/are. Andt hey are smacking down pedestrians like a farmer aiming at snakes on the road.

1 Like

Not enough (10% of total scooter market share?). If itā€™s still loud, itā€™s not enough.

2 Likes

40 seconds!?!! And thatā€™s gotta be REALLY loud to be heard over all the other noise from other scooters etc.

Itā€™s now nearly 2 am and I just heard another LOUD scooter farting away as it passed. Iā€™m in Daā€™an. If I can hear it, so can thousands more people, each affected, even if they donā€™t consciously notice or complain or groan. And it happens hundreds of times per day.

1 Like

What you say ? Canā€™t hear you !

Taiwan is very LOUD that is for sure

After awhile you go a little deaf and it evens out

1 Like

I mean OP is from the Netherlands, thatā€™s not necessary representative of Europe as a whole. Yeah, Taiwan is louder than the Netherlands. Shocker. Greece and Italy is also louder than the Netherlands.

If gogoro has a 10% total scooter market share, that is amazing. And i hope it doesnt go further to avoid a monopoly type scenario. I ha e seen and helped people buy electric scooters here for over 10 years. They arent new. Gogoro did well by placing charging stations everywhere. And although i have nothing really against their engineering or physical product, their marketing strategy is worrisome. basically they are essentially a subscription service that forces you to pay. It worries me in the same way tesla did. Competition is good, there are other brands but they have seemingly all been ignored locally :frowning:

The whole system of pay per use is probably going to eventually vankrupt the lower income folks when everyhung gets there. Its already well on its way and will divivde the wealth gap much further. And i am very much pro electric vehicles.

1 Like

Yup, simple fix is to move away from noise. Taiwan is more limited than most as per space. but still, we have many options for those that care to try.

If its truly affecting your life, why live there? Make plans. New york, LA, tokyo, vancouver, manilla etc etc are all painfully unpeaceful when it comes to tranquility. Part of the city life. There are other options.