Taiwan is LOUD (compared to Europe) & drivers can only be as bad as the roads let them

So your smart solutions are…

Throw baby out with bathwater.

In a country with an 80+ year life expectancy. You want to cause massive disruption to people’s lives, force people to uproot their lives and in many cases cause people to spend massive amounts of money on vehicles that would take quintuple the space.

You didn’t think this one through did you?

The baby is dead. Parents were carrying it on a scooter when they sideswiped an illegally parked construction truck.

1 Like

False equivalence. Millions of people get on scooters every day and go their entire lives without major issues. Cars are also dangerous. Do you wanna ban cars too?

Taiwan’s scooters could definitely use improvement in defensive driving skills, but you don’t get to an 80+ year life expectancy by burning the house down.

A bit weird to use this picture as any sort of example. It looks pretty ok.

3 Likes

Scooters in TW are the leading cause of accident-related fatalities within 24 hours, the biggest killer of university students, and the most common cause of injury.

But yeah, there’s no need to improve anything in TW because it’s good enough right now. Chabuduo - TW’s finest attribute.

Scooters kill people? How? Did it go up to people and stab them?

If you’re a government official with limited resources and many areas of concern and you want to prevent death and injury, it means often making decisions to try to maximise return on investment. Driving education takes decades to take hold and unlike the fantasies of some people here, driving injuries and fatalities are not the only things that cause injury and death in the world.

When you become an MP or as they call it in the US, a congress(wo)man, feel free to take all of your resources and put it into making driving safe at all costs and tell me how your constituents react once you’ve pulled your resources and political goodwill from EVERYTHING else that people need. You seem to know all about policymaking so let’s see you fix the world.

We’re not talking about fixing the world. We’re talking about scooters in TW.

TW has the highest density of scooters in the world. They’re a leading cause of injury and accident-related death. They contribute greatly to TW’s horrid air and noise pollution. They’re a nuisance and danger to pedestrians.

As wealthy as TW is, there’s no reason the scooter addiction can’t and shouldn’t be kicked sooner than later.

But thanks for playing. I’ll let you get back to fixing TW’s cancer problem, vaccine problem, military problem.

Those people don’t just go away and disappear, what do they replace their transport with?

Or are you just running your mouth?

I have a simpler solution. Electrification and driver’s education.

Oh no! We’ve solved it without unnecessary CCP-style blanket bans! What horror!

TW has excellent public transportation. Scooters are largely for convenience, not necessity, esp. in the cities.

But yeah, ever wondered why there are so many scooters compared to cars in TW? TW makes so few cars itself and taxes the hell out of imports, so they’re out of the reach of the plebs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Change happens slow in a functioning democracy, as it should. China solved their scooter problems overnight…they just confiscated all of them one day and didn’t give their citizens anything back for it.

Taipei is the only part of Taiwan? Since when?

Have you ever lived in Hualien? Changhua? Taitung? Yunlin, Pingtung or Chiayi?

All of the major cities have public transportation.

Thankfully no. :rofl:

I’m glad we agree on getting rid of scooters in Taipei, New Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, Hsinchu, Tainan, Keelung, etc.

That would be a very good start while the TW government figures out why people in more rural communities can’t afford automobiles.

Actually I still support keeping the scooters. Please read my posts again for easier comprehension. The cities will be jammed full and the rest of the country will be stuck building US style parking lots.

You assume they can’t afford it. Scooters are far more convenient and like I said before, quintuple the cars and you have a major problem. Keep them ugly US parking lots outta Taiwan.

No they won’t. The people who really need cars will get them (if they can afford them) and the rest (the majority) will use the comprehensive, cheap public transportation that already exists.

Yes, the people in Taitung, Pingtung, etc. can all afford cars. :roll_eyes:

But yeah, keep the ugly US parking lots out of TW and save the ugly old buildings firetraps.

1 Like

Yes they will. You need to store these cars somewhere and they take 5x the space.

Most counties don’t have MRTs.

What makes you think Taiwanese can’t afford them? Are you assuming? Do you have proof that Taiwanese in general can’t afford cars?

Why can’t you just let people pick the transport option they like and not impose your ideas on them?

If you’re trying to force pills down people’s throats screaming it’s for your own good, are you doing good?

Most counties have bus systems, and in small towns, the idea that people need to hop on a scooter to go a couple of blocks to 7-11 is meh.

Again, I’m glad we agree that you can get rid of scooters in major cities.

Do the math. Compare the average household incomes in TW to the cost of automobiles, which are as much as double the price of the same car in the US due to exorbitant taxes and import duties. You’ll figure it out.

TW, like most countries, isn’t a lawless state like Somalia. Governments impose rules. Many of those rules are designed to protect people, the environment, etc.

People don’t just get to do whatever they want. In case you haven’t noticed, you’re not allowed to smoke weed in TW. You can’t own a gun. Hell you can’t even take a hike or go outside without a mask right now.

Should I complain about TW imposing its ideas on me?

Implementing policies that would phase out scooters that are a danger, nuisance and huge environmental liability is well within the purview of what government already does.

2 Likes

Funny story. I bought a SYM z1 the first year it came out. Like days after. Was 71k. I looked up a year or so later what they sold for oversees. Usa, 5k usd, japan about the same. So my monkey brain started thinking numbers and containers and started digging into to export to canada.

I stopped because the scooters (at least these ones) had no pollution control and are not allowed to be imported (for sale) into canada. Then the 2.5x price for the same model started making more sense. Sensing the obvious clusterfuckery that no doubt would ensue, i dropped that idea immediately.

Similar issues with various machinery i wanted to export there. Was almos always lack of safety, testing and pollution controls. I did import some things based on personal items etc, but even those would void insurance if the building were to have a fire…and etc…

1 Like

China has little electric scooters everywhere - you say China banned scooters? Seriously fella drop the Trumpspeak falsehoods . In fact I was amazed at how quiet the big Chinese cities like Chengdu and Beijing were.

1 Like

You should check your reading comprehension my friend. I never said I agree with this.

Average Americans can afford to pay cash for new cars? Since when?

You can stay in the US if you want. Nobody is forcing you to come here. I have already demonstrated the advantages of scooters. They are tools as much as anything else and have their place in the market.

I wish there was more gogoros around

I live on a busy road and some scooters are obnoxiously loud

3 Likes