Taiwan is not as safe as it used to be

Your so lucky.

1 Like

Yes in Japan nothing happens

No.

The most scared I feel in Taiwan is when a big roach suddenly appears in my vicinity.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/10/31/a-serial-killer-may-be-responsible-for-body-parts-found-in-coolers-japanese-police-say/%3FoutputType=amp

hey @Zhong-li, ask all your Japanese friends which is their favorite country to visit.
never mind, they’ll probably say North Korea.
but the real answer is Taiwan. all kinds of surveys done in Japan over the years and Taiwan remains their #1 spot.

they probably think you’re a kook for leaving such a cheap place and choosing expensive Japan.
but, whatever colors your painting

2 Likes

Similar conversations have been repeated.

2 Likes

Taiwan is relatively safe. You’re focusing on these things because they’re being reported. You string the stories together and make a picture out of them, and this picture equals “Taiwan is dangerous.” But think about all the other crimes that you’re not reading about in other countries, and all the crimes that never get reported in those countries. As someone above said, Taiwan has nothing on the Philippines.

1 Like

Wanhua more commonly has poolside midnight beatings. Ximen area mind you

No, I was attacked with a base ball bat, broken bottles and once shot at in Taichung. I knew foreigners who were murdered here back then or got beaten up by large gangs in night clubs. Nearly ever taxi driver carried a metal bar under their seat it was standard in the 80s. The taxi drivers didn’t even need criminal record checks back then. Taipei was even terrorised by a serial killer known as “The Wolf of Shirlin”

Wait what? 100.2 percent?? So they charged the point two percent with a crime they did not commit?

Only 8 years for murdering and dismembering somoene? That is a very light sentence your honor.

1 Like

They cleared some of the backlog.

The wolf of shihlin

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/local/print/2001/08/11/0000098060

dont know what happened to the real wolf of shihlin though

1 Like

I always hear how bad this area is, never experienced it. I have friends who live in Wanhua. I have visited this area numerous times, walk the streets alone late at night, had drinks Etc etc.
Yes there are gangs and gangsters there just like other areas.
On a few occasions I have seen trouble it’s usually because some drunk guy is mouthing off or sticking his nose in other people’s business.

1 Like

still at large or killed by an attended victim perhaps, a bit like the Zodiac killer in that we may well never know who was the one killing the women and is he still in Shilin or even still in Taipei

There is actually an upmarket and downmarket area within Wanhua, this can easily be attested to by the fact that the more expensive ones are further away from the metro, well at least they were a few years back when I was looking. If you’re a single man or male gay couple then it might be a good place to look.
It is also not a wise area to bring up daughters in, as although the slave market has gone things can still be upleasant for young females around snake alley.

it was in reference to a post a little while ago where somebody claimed to get attacked in the rough streets of wanhua, by gangsters…while in ximending at a midnight swimming pool party. quite the story it was

3 Likes

Sorry I missed that story. I have run across a few of these so-called gangsters Mafia gangs whatever you want to call them. They don’t strike me as the kind of people that want to get a lot of press attention. Long story short. I was drinking with a friend and his uncle invited us to go out and drink. His uncle, unbeknownst to me, is was one of these so called gangsta. The night involved drinking with these guys and a few police officers.

People have the misconception that Taiwan is supersafe, because when you arrive here, you don’t speak chinese, you don’t follow media. You live in a bubble and have no real idea whats going on below the surface. Stay here long enough and you might find out chinese culture can get really savage.

2 Likes