Taiwan is one of 4 free countries in the world

Imagine becoming a citizen of one of 4 free countries that’s right! Taiwan is one of 4 free countries and America is far down the list (even worse than Canada)

I’m proud to be a Taiwan national!

6 Likes

We’re only free by 0.7! Taiwan is barely free

And the US is neck-and-neck with the United Arab Emirates at 25/24 and trending downward.

2 Likes

“Economic” freedom. Any list that’s going to put Singapore on the top for “freedom” is going to have a qualifier.

14 Likes

Not surprising considering how there are barely any enforced laws here. It’s paradise if you’re libertarian, but I’d say most people would rather live in a country with a bit less freedom and more rule of law. You need a happy balance.

8 Likes

It ain’t free unless we have Condorcet compliant voting to minimize spoiler effect and transform into multi-party politics.

Also not surprising. I don’t know about the other two countries, but Singapore is very laissez-faire with trade and economic policy.

Although where they lack in trade and economic laws, they make up for in social law and order.

2 Likes

How is Singapore more “free”? It’s a dictatorship, and death penalty for all sorts of stuff that shouldn’t deserve death. Their justice system is not unlike martial law in Taiwan under the KMT.

Sure they’re prosperous because the dictator wants Singapore to be prosperous, not a tinpot power mad dictator, but they’re a dictatorship nevertheless, just a benevolent one.

5 Likes

I don’t think you understand what this index means at all.

These rankings are put out by the Heritage Foundation which is a libertarian think-tank in the US. They value business/economic freedom more than anything. I would take these rankings with a grain of salt.

5 Likes

Why? Looks pretty straight forward to me.

I’m going to tell you that Singapore is anything BUT libertarian. In fact they are very authoritarian.

I didn’t say Singapore is libertarian. Read my post again.

There are a shit ton of freedom indices and Taiwan ranks very high in all of them.

One of the components of this ranking is rule of law and Taiwan ranks pretty high there too.

1 Like

That’s because enforcement effectiveness isn’t one of the subcategories under rule of law.

Also, I know crime rates here are low, but obviously there is no crime if there is no law to break, or if law breaking isn’t even reported.

4 Likes

Source?

Rule of law obviously includes enforcement.

Yeah right I am constantly fighting of gunmen on the street.

Look at the screenshot you showed me. Do you see “enforcement effectiveness” as one of the three metrics under “rule of law”?

What do you think “Judicial Effectiveness” means? How well the AC works in court rooms?

The judiciary and law enforcement are two different things. One passes the laws, the other enforces them.

1 Like

You mean “4 free economically free countries”.

2 Likes