Taiwan-issued International Driving Licences/Permits

Fred, assuming you have a local licence then just go to the motor vehicles department and apply for it, it is as simple as that.

My license is from Florida and now expired and I need to get a license before I go back to the States in end of July.

fred

[quote=“fred smith”]My license is from Florida and now expired and I need to get a license before I go back to the States in end of July.

fred[/quote]
How long has your license been expired? Also, do you still have any contact with an insurance agent there? Depending on these, I’d suggest just renewing your license there when you arrive.

IIRC, however, my uncle told me that I couldn’t get a FL license without an insurance card (even if I don’t own a car). If you are planning to rent one, you would have to accept the rental agency’s insurance, which was around $25 per day even on the peanut car that I rented (Ford Focus).

Other states are easier – FL wants the revenue from all the snowbirds. Tennessee would grant a license without any proof of insurance and with only a written test, even though my WA license was expired.

Fred, why not take the local driving test, it aint difficult, then you can have a local licence and a Taiwanese International Licence.

If you go up to the Testing place on ChengDe Road section 5 then you can even do it in english.

Come on Fred, take them courage pills and go try it. :smiley:

Traveller:

Okay. So tell me about the whole process. I need to do this pretty soon or I am going to be wheelless in Miami and Palm Beach and let’s face it one simply must have a car preferably a convertible. I don’t think I want to take taxis from place to place. Know what I mean? Besides I really have to think about doing my part to promote global warming.

[quote=“Traveller”]Fred, why not take the local driving test, it aint difficult, then you can have a local licence and a Taiwanese International Licence.

If you go up to the Testing place on ChengDe Road section 5 then you can even do it in English.[/quote][quote=“fred smith”]Traveller:

Okay. So tell me about the whole process.[/quote]
Information on passing the driving test here;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 484#139484](Driving School
and here;
[How to pass the Taiwan driving test

Joesax, well done mate, saves me the time.

Fred, all you need to know provided with a smile :laughing: :laughing:

Just make sure it is a small engined convertible please, if such a thing exists in the US :wink:

Don’t you have to hold a license for a year before you can get an international permit?

Except for thailand, of course, where you can buy them from street vendors.

My CA license will be expiring soon, but I still have my trusty piece of paper from the UK which says I can drive until I’m 70. No renewal necessary.

Stragbasher, maybe in other countries but not here, i and i know several others asked for and were given our IDP’s on the same day as passing the test.
I even use my Taiwan IDP in UK when i go back rather than my UK licence, saves grief and hassle unless you really are being a stupid git.

It is just (remotely) possible that I don’t know what I’m talking about. It has happened before, albeit rarely. :noway:

So comeon Fred, when are you going to be taking the test?

Traveller:

Do I have to take all these fucking tests just to get an international driver’s license? I don’t care about a Taiwan permit and I would prefer not to take the test. Maybe I can get one in FL while I am there. Fucking fuck fuck.

I hate bureaucracy.

I did both the written/driving and IDL application all at once. Was out of there in under ninety minutes…

It really isn’t that hard…

[quote=“fred smith”]Traveller:

Do I have to take all these fucking tests just to get an international driver’s license? I don’t care about a Taiwan permit and I would prefer not to take the test. Maybe I can get one in FL while I am there. Fucking fuck fuck.

I hate bureaucracy.[/quote]

Freddie, my boy, you are being a woos. No one is going to give you an IDP if you havent passed the test. :laughing:

And they make you drive around a nice little track with bells, whistles, and flashing lights. :unamused:

It’s really more of a formality than a test.

CK

[quote=“fred smith”]Traveller:

I hate bureaucracy.[/quote]Oh I know… it must be awful… just imagine how much better it would be if people didn’t have to take troublesome driving tests…

Well considering that I already have a driver’s license, that’s my point and when I was talking about bureaucracy, I was assuming that I would have to take all these “classes” as well to be able to understand how to “pass” the Taiwanese test.

Fred, as an existing driver, no classes or anything like that, go to chengde road, do the colour test, then the peripheral vision test, the highway code test, then if passed everything the driving section on a private playground, it is a doddle, and will only take approx 90 mins, can even all be done in english.

If you want to rent upon arrival in FL then no choice, if you wait until you get to FL will they even just renew your expired licence, or will they make you redo the test there as well.

Go on, give it a try, have some fun :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“fred smith”]Well considering that I already have a driver’s license, that’s my point and when I was talking about bureaucracy, I was assuming that I would have to take all these “classes” as well to be able to understand how to “pass” the Taiwanese test.[/quote]Welcome to Taiwan politics Fred, I assume at one time you could exchange your licence for a Taiwanese one, but many countries won’t accept Taiwanese ones for road safety reasons, so now Taiwan won’t accept theirs in the name of “recipriocity”

But you don’t do you? You already said it expired.

You’re fucked, sonny.

Brian