Taiwan-issued International Driving Licences/Permits

Just a simple question…

Has anyone ever used a Taiwan issued International drivers license to rent a car in the U.S.?

Experiences? Hassles? Can it even be done?

I’ll be traveling in Southern California and the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks… :smiley:

Michael, technically yes, as it was in Guam, but not sure how they fall in terms of mainstream US car rental companies ar etheir requirements
This was march last year .

Hmm…

Guam might be an exception, as it’s a popular traval destination for hordes of Taiwanese. California is as well, but the state led the way for banning reciprocate licenses from Taiwan.

And rightly so.

I’m sure you cannot use a Taiwanese license in California, but an International one issued here?..Grey area

I do have a California drivers license…Expired in1988! :wink:

Michael, it may not help, but most of europe does not give reciprocal licences either to Taiwan, but i hired a car in UK and in Germany this year using my Taiwanese IDL.

Logically they should, the whole idea is so that true visitors can hire cars without the stupidity of doing local licence tests etc.

Done so in Canada many times with no problem.

CK

Have been using a Taiwense IDL in the US now since 1996. No problems at all. Once or twice they asked to see the original Taiwan drivers license, so to be safe, be sure you carry it with you. Have used it with Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, and Alamo. Never an issue.

Thanks everyone…

Haven’t been home in a looong time, way overdue. Just didn’t want to run into any hassles trying to rent a vehicle… :slight_smile:

Where would I get a Taiwan-issued IDL (don’t say Taiwan, please…)

Can I get one endorsed for motorcycles without showing a Taiwanese car license? I have a valid heavy-motorcycle license but no car license. I want to get an IDL with a motorcycle notation on it to rent a bike on vacation.

[quote=“ironlady”]Where would I get a Taiwan-issued IDL (don’t say Taiwan, please…)

Can I get one endorsed for motorcycles without showing a Taiwanese car license? I have a valid heavy-motorcycle license but no car license. I want to get an IDL with a motorcycle notation on it to rent a bike on vacation.[/quote]I’m interested in the answers to these questions too. I would have assumed that you could get an IDL at your area’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

I also assumed that they would be able to issue one for motorbikes only, but I don’t know for sure. If they do, can you let us know what it says? It would be great if it just said something like “heavy motorcycles” but I fear there might be a 250 c.c. limitation on it now that the separate big-bike licencing system is in place.

I have fantasies of renting a big sport bike for a day when I visit the UK. Never got myself a UK motorbike licence but a Taiwan IDL might do the trick.

Yep, do it all the time. The rental places do look at you a little odd when you produce a Taiwanese license and IDL, but they never yet turned me down. Get your IDL where they issued your driver’s license. Since you have to go there every year or two to get a new one, you probably remember where it is :wink:

Ironlady,

You can get them at any DMV here. The one in Shr-Lin does them, as does the one on Pateh Rd. here in Taipei.
As for motorcycles, my wife who has a local scooter license, is now allowed to drive any size motorcycle she wants with her IDL…scary, but true!

Good luck,
CK

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

freddie

Fred, assuming you have a local licence then just go to the motor vehicles department and apply for it, it is as simple as that.

My license is from Florida and now expired and I need to get a license before I go back to the States in end of July.

fred

[quote=“fred smith”]My license is from Florida and now expired and I need to get a license before I go back to the States in end of July.

fred[/quote]
How long has your license been expired? Also, do you still have any contact with an insurance agent there? Depending on these, I’d suggest just renewing your license there when you arrive.

IIRC, however, my uncle told me that I couldn’t get a FL license without an insurance card (even if I don’t own a car). If you are planning to rent one, you would have to accept the rental agency’s insurance, which was around $25 per day even on the peanut car that I rented (Ford Focus).

Other states are easier – FL wants the revenue from all the snowbirds. Tennessee would grant a license without any proof of insurance and with only a written test, even though my WA license was expired.

Fred, why not take the local driving test, it aint difficult, then you can have a local licence and a Taiwanese International Licence.

If you go up to the Testing place on ChengDe Road section 5 then you can even do it in english.

Come on Fred, take them courage pills and go try it. :smiley:

Traveller:

Okay. So tell me about the whole process. I need to do this pretty soon or I am going to be wheelless in Miami and Palm Beach and let’s face it one simply must have a car preferably a convertible. I don’t think I want to take taxis from place to place. Know what I mean? Besides I really have to think about doing my part to promote global warming.

[quote=“Traveller”]Fred, why not take the local driving test, it aint difficult, then you can have a local licence and a Taiwanese International Licence.

If you go up to the Testing place on ChengDe Road section 5 then you can even do it in English.[/quote][quote=“fred smith”]Traveller:

Okay. So tell me about the whole process.[/quote]
Information on passing the driving test here;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 484#139484](Driving School
and here;
[How to pass the Taiwan driving test

Joesax, well done mate, saves me the time.

Fred, all you need to know provided with a smile :laughing: :laughing:

Just make sure it is a small engined convertible please, if such a thing exists in the US :wink:

Don’t you have to hold a license for a year before you can get an international permit?

Except for thailand, of course, where you can buy them from street vendors.

My CA license will be expiring soon, but I still have my trusty piece of paper from the UK which says I can drive until I’m 70. No renewal necessary.