Taiwan-issued International Driving Licences/Permits

Stragbasher, maybe in other countries but not here, i and i know several others asked for and were given our IDP’s on the same day as passing the test.
I even use my Taiwan IDP in UK when i go back rather than my UK licence, saves grief and hassle unless you really are being a stupid git.

It is just (remotely) possible that I don’t know what I’m talking about. It has happened before, albeit rarely. :noway:

So comeon Fred, when are you going to be taking the test?

Traveller:

Do I have to take all these fucking tests just to get an international driver’s license? I don’t care about a Taiwan permit and I would prefer not to take the test. Maybe I can get one in FL while I am there. Fucking fuck fuck.

I hate bureaucracy.

I did both the written/driving and IDL application all at once. Was out of there in under ninety minutes…

It really isn’t that hard…

[quote=“fred smith”]Traveller:

Do I have to take all these fucking tests just to get an international driver’s license? I don’t care about a Taiwan permit and I would prefer not to take the test. Maybe I can get one in FL while I am there. Fucking fuck fuck.

I hate bureaucracy.[/quote]

Freddie, my boy, you are being a woos. No one is going to give you an IDP if you havent passed the test. :laughing:

And they make you drive around a nice little track with bells, whistles, and flashing lights. :unamused:

It’s really more of a formality than a test.

CK

[quote=“fred smith”]Traveller:

I hate bureaucracy.[/quote]Oh I know… it must be awful… just imagine how much better it would be if people didn’t have to take troublesome driving tests…

Well considering that I already have a driver’s license, that’s my point and when I was talking about bureaucracy, I was assuming that I would have to take all these “classes” as well to be able to understand how to “pass” the Taiwanese test.

Fred, as an existing driver, no classes or anything like that, go to chengde road, do the colour test, then the peripheral vision test, the highway code test, then if passed everything the driving section on a private playground, it is a doddle, and will only take approx 90 mins, can even all be done in english.

If you want to rent upon arrival in FL then no choice, if you wait until you get to FL will they even just renew your expired licence, or will they make you redo the test there as well.

Go on, give it a try, have some fun :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“fred smith”]Well considering that I already have a driver’s license, that’s my point and when I was talking about bureaucracy, I was assuming that I would have to take all these “classes” as well to be able to understand how to “pass” the Taiwanese test.[/quote]Welcome to Taiwan politics Fred, I assume at one time you could exchange your licence for a Taiwanese one, but many countries won’t accept Taiwanese ones for road safety reasons, so now Taiwan won’t accept theirs in the name of “recipriocity”

But you don’t do you? You already said it expired.

You’re fucked, sonny.

Brian

I have been driving a car here for over 5 years. Never had a problem where I needed a valid license. [Knock on wood…knock knock]

Just speak English.

Back to International Drivers Permits…got mine today in like 5 minutes up at the Jianlisuo on Bade Road in Taipei.

They need one photo, and have to see your existing license. If you only have a scooter license, you get only a motorcycle endorsement. To get both car and motorcycle endorsements you must show both. Fee for mine (motorcycle only) was NT$250.

Probably the single easiest bureaucratic transaction I’ve ever done in Taiwan. I didn’t even have to wait in line. :bravo:

[quote=“ironlady”]They need one photo, and have to see your existing license. If you only have a scooter license, you get only a motorcycle endorsement. To get both car and motorcycle endorsements you must show both. Fee for mine (motorcycle only) was NT$250.[/quote]Thanks for the info. Does the international licence show any limitation on cylinder capacity or horsepower?

I know where you are going with this you sly dog…

And I hope (as do you) the answer is no!

I have to make a late summer commute from LA to Portland, and would love to make the transit on 2 wheels… :sunglasses:

It was my understanding that an international driver’s license can only be obtained in your home country for use in another country and must be used in conjuction with your valid state driver’s license.
I got mine in the U.S. for Taiwan. I am not sure about here but the back page of mine says -
“Your valid U.S. driver’s license must accompany the IDP at all times”
If the same runs apply and you obtain your IDP in Taiwan then it stands to reason that your Taiwan Driver’s license must accompany the IDP at all time.
Renewing your license in Florida should be easy, just go in take an eye exam and pay your money.

Not true. They can also be issued in your country of residence, which is not necessarily one’s home country.

well maoman, the one I got in the U.S. says on the cover than it can’t be used within the U.S. – just got it out and read it :notworthy:

An IDL can be issued and used from the area in which you ‘claim residence’…As long as Fred has an a valid ARC, he’s fine to use his Taiwan issued IDL in the U.S.

I asked this question recently in another thread as I was unsure myself. And yes, he will have to carry his locally issued Taiwan license as well.

forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=18627

Far easier to do it here. Many of the old-timers (not sure about Fred) no longer can claim residence in their home countries.

Couple of tips for the driving exam:

Turn your mirrors toward the ground so you can see the sensors.

When backing up through the “S” turn, start cranking just a little sooner than you’d think.

If you make it past the dreaded S, the rest of the driving section is a joke.

Take it with a stick/manual transmission. In Taiwan, if you test with an automatic, you can’t drive a manual.

The written test is a cakewalk, with some fairly humorous questions as well. Bone up on the book for an hour, and you’ll pass no problem.

You can walk upstairs and apply for the IDL, and have it in hand 5 minutes after you pass the driving test. It really is that simple.

And lastly, should Mr. Smith get pulled over for exhibiting some Taiwanese stunt back home, the IDL might be the ticket for explaining his uncooth driving characteristics.