Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Lol!!! This sentence is sooooooooo true! Having a TARC, although good (according to a foreigner’s view since one is already on the hill of Citizenship), it is still never good enough. The ID is the holy grail :laughing:. 99% of locals don’t even know what a TARC is or have never even seen one. Most haven’t even seen or heard what an ARC/APRC is. The countless times I’ve taken out my ARC/APRC to prove my identity to the locals and they would literally squint to read the words printed on it. They get really squeamish when they see an ID that’s of a different color to the one they are used to (the flesh tone ID color).
Congrats on getting the TARC @Quesito:+1:

3 Likes

in my experience when I say ARC/居留證 they know about it (the name at least), then complete void about what it actually does…

99.999999%, it is such a weird thing, all due to… CHINAR!

1 Like

Yes, most have heard of a 居留證 but haven’t actually seen one up close (except for convenience store clerks, health institutions and those working in Govt. depts e.g MVD). They struggle to find the expiry date even though it’s all in Chinese. Better still, give them an APRC and they will keep looking for the expiry date even though you’ve mentioned to them it is a “永久居留證” :rofl:

3 Likes

Not really. It allows me to avoid military obligations.

1 Like

True, but basically still treated as a foreigner

Not really, there are a few benefits.

Such as…

• I no longer have to worry about the 2 year rule on my APRC
  • I spoke to banks who said they will now give me homeloans like a local on it (as I have the AF372)
  • I can return anytime
  • I have an ROC passport that I can use as another identity to open bank accounts in Hong Kong etc under a different name. (Not that I am a money launderer but it is nice to have the ability to launder one’s own money if needed)
  • I can get HHR when I feel that I am ready. (i.e I have a second kid or I turn 35/36)
  • I also don’t need to worry about constantly changing rules or be tiered to a specific APRC (How many different types are there now? My god)
3 Likes

How is this binary frame still permitted given the gender equity moves much of the rest of the government has taken? Example: gender neutral washrooms are now required (not optional) in every school.

Put otherwise, I’m sure this could be challenged in court, unless there is already a “3” that could be used for “other” . . .

Guy

A Taiwanese trans person would have to be pretty strong-willed to want to use a “3” there. Everything would break, possibly even more than it does with foreigners.

Kind of related:

https://taiwannews.com.tw/news/3661309

4 Likes

don’t ask man, ask the high echelons of the MOI!

it would be a hell of a mess, unfortunately for whomever is interested to have their rights recognised (without going into madness though, in the US/CA getting out of hand).

2 Likes

Yup. It is a strange system to have to endure since unlike NWOHR who don’t live in Taiwan we are living in Taiwan for many years already. Lucky for some though as with TARC they cannot do military service.

2 Likes

Why would they? They are already citizens not those going through naturalization. Most people do not know the citizenship laws of their own country.

1 Like

Ah to be one of the few who cannot renounce. I tried to get my government to not let me renounce but I failed in that mission. They wrote be off with you young man, you are now voided and now an ex citizen, Welcome to being an invalid.

It was the best day of my life getting that letter. My Aussie passport was saying kiss me, kiss me as if its the last time you will ever have one again.
I felt so cleansed. We should all pretend we love that citizenship we were born with when in reality it’s just a piece of paper.

2 Likes

:100:

1 Like

Yeh even my wallet was cleansed when I paid another 12,000 for a new Australian passport lol

3 Likes

Did you even read my original post which was a reply to @Mataiou’s comment on how to “harness the full power of Citizenship?” You can’t just cut out a random sentence from my entire post and comment on it without context. Of course, I know most locals don’t know or care about their own citizenship laws, I’m a citizen too, remember?, like yourself?? :rofl: Woe is me!

My post simply reiterated the fact that once we get full citizenship i.e Taiwan ID, it is more powerful and nationwide recognized by 100% of locals as compared to the TARC, which they haven’t seen, heard or know even existed. Thats it! You made a choice to interpret that sentence in another way, which I respect, cos it was your choice. Choices choices! LOL

6 Likes

Agree with you. Sorry did not mean to take out of context.

Yes the TARC is a conundrum even for those who have ROC parents but were born abroad. another quirk of the system but at least now in 2024 with the new laws NWOHR passport holders who have a parent with HHR and ID when they were born can now enter Taiwan and get HHR and ID and no longer require an entry visa nor a tarc.

Remember during covid a chap from the USA got the NWOHR passport and the airline crew let him board but he was denied entry into Taiwan as he had no entry permit. TECO didn’t even tell him he required that and why would one think they need a visa for a passport of the country they are a national of.

4 Likes

Reminded me of this clip from Dr Chen Tien-shi at 5:00 which hit me quite hard when I heard about it. Almost became Airport Woman.

1 Like

Wow refused entry in Taiwan then into Japan. What a saga.

1 Like

Can’t handle more than a minute. Annoying manner of presentation.

1 Like