Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

“Employees are expected to abstain from premarital, extra-marital, bisexual, bestial, incestuous and homosexual forms of sexual conduct”

jesus christ, may as well take up crochet then. oh wait, jury’s out on masturbation.

“employees will live in accordance with the gender that God has assigned to them”

But what if God assigns you an alternative gender? A-ha! Loophole.

That’s a seriously regressive code of conduct. :hushed:

2 Likes

Those of us who’ve played in footy tournaments at the school will remember being instructed not to wear any potentially offensive t-shirts (i.e. Iron Maiden et. al) and not to swear or blaspheme while on the grounds.

1 Like

We had team t-shirts! Poor buggers.

Even in the old country, which is practically an Evangelical caliphate, they allow you to sue the so called Christian schools when they fire employees for preganancy, which happens a lot when contraception is not for sale for single people.

Is it sad that I see those regulations and just shrug? I am terribly used to that kind of madness. They have especifications regarding hair and skirt lenght in teh old country.

It’s quite extreme.

oh god I didn’t know Morison was this anal about religion. I considered working there once.

yeah, nah, maybe the wrong word to describe them…:laughing:

3 Likes

Not necessarily. :wink:

1 Like

Who? Jim Morrison? He’s out the door!

If you build it they will come.

And it is really bad in many aspects. They are occupying the power gap left by the Catholic church in teh wake of all the pedophile scandals. For examplel, one of the pastors in my Mom´s vicinity, who used the money from the church not to help the poor but to buy himself a nice position in the city council, has been accussed of raping 14 year olds, yes as in plural, because that is the will of God. Then they are using the money given by their congregation to threaten and harrass the families of the kids affected. Of course, the followers insist the accusations are the work of unbelievers and the rapes a case of the devil taking over the pastor… sigh. In a country with such poverty and where life is worthless or rather, with 500 USD you can get anyone “taken care of”, the churches with so much money, political clout and the technical “support” of the megachurches in the US, all spouting the hateful messages and deprepit regulations, are not really building the kind of world Christ preached about and would have liked to see built in this world.

2 Likes

I was recently told that pastors in SA have a direct connection with god on their mobile phone!

1 Like

Honestly, every time someone says that they speak for God, bad things happen.

1 Like

http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201905140026.aspx

The 10 new ROC citizens are mostly in their 30s-50s, the MOI said

Peter Karl Mayer, a German medical professor who currently teaches at China Medical University in Taichung, told CNA Tuesday that he first came to Taiwan 12 years ago to study Chinese medicine

Chinese medicine… yikes!
12 years isn’t even that long. I’m sure there’s lots of posters here who have been here much longer.

he chose to apply for ROC citizenship because he wanted to be a true Taiwanese. There are opportunities for success in Taiwan if you work hard enough, he said.

B-but I wanna be a true Taiwanese. :pensive:

Aren’t they always over 30? I wonder who the youngest is to gain citizenship?

1 Like

Well. They used to be over 80. Progress!

4 Likes

My colleague has been here 35 years. He arrived by boat, man, literally.

2 Likes

And back to the usual programming…

Swiss priest receives Taiwanese citizenship

2019/05/16 22:57:58

Taipei, May 16 (CNA) Father Jean-Claude Fournier (傅若望) from Switzerland was granted Taiwanese citizenship on Thursday by Taiwan’s government, in recognition of his promotion of education in rural areas.

Born in 1938, the 82-year-old Swiss priest first came to Taiwan in 1965 and settled in the eastern county of Hualien. He helped local residents to improve their lives by establishing savings cooperatives and teaching money management.

Father Fournier received his Nationality Permit Certificate, Resident Certificate, National Identification Card and Household Certificate from immigration and local officials at a ceremony held in the Church of St. Joseph in Xincheng Township, Hualien County on Thursday.

He is the fourth foreign resident in Hualien to receive Republic of China (ROC) citizenship because of a special contribution to Taiwan.

Father Fournier has run the Beide Kindergarten since 1971. The tuition fee at the school is relatively low because its students mostly come from poor families, but this has made financing its operations very difficult.

Father Fournier looked for ways to raise funds from kind-hearted people, charitable organizations, local government agencies, and even relatives and friends in Switzerland.

His efforts have helped keep the kindergarten open for 48 years.

Many alumni from the kindergarten often return to visit him. They also help with school operations and participate in church activities, Father Fournier said, adding that this makes him proud and happy.

Father Fournier also thanked Taiwan’s government for letting him fulfill his wish to be a naturalized Taiwanese citizen.

A member of the Church of St. Joseph said Father Fournier touches so many hearts by setting such a a good example and sharing love selflessly.

By boat…You mean steamboat or schooner :joy: