Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Lol @ “Lao Wei”

Just to be clear about this: one of the new naturalized citizens—a Canadian who specializes in historical preservation work—told the media he did not much appreciate being referred to as “Lao Wai”:

Now he can call himself a “Taiwanese,” [Curtis Regan] Smith said in an interview with CNA Tuesday, adding that as a naturalized citizen, he will work even harder to protect Taiwan’s environment and culture.

Thumbs up to this guy, and congratulations to him.

Guy

I propose “Adogah Minzu” as our collective ethnonym.

3 Likes

That isn’t going to stop just because of an ID card, unfortunately.

3 Likes

MOre likely they will confuse Taiwan with Thailand.

1 Like

Gee, now they are becoming stingy about it. Or is it that she is too young? Is it 50 years or bust for nationality?

really?
she contributed so much in 5 years?
what did she contribute?

1 Like

I’m a bit confused. She did her 5 years and got her APRC. So what?

9 Likes

So, there is hope for Engrish teachers after all!

I’m assuming they didn’t make her go through the application process.

What is the NIA Strategic League?

So basically, the news wasn’t that she got her APRC, it’s that she ai daiwan. Got it.

4 Likes

If I ever get citizenship, I want the photographer to shoot upskirt. It’s my best side.

3 Likes

And that she’s a hot babe.

According to the headline.

1 Like

That, of course, doesn’t hurt. At all.

1 Like

She applied for plum blossom card?

We ‘ai Taiwan’ every day, don’t we?

2 Likes

You guys do realize that she’s a fundamentalist Christian…? A few policy snippets from their manual:

The school may require an AIDS/HIV test of any staff person at any time he or she has been ill with symptoms which may indicate infections with AIDS/HIV or when it is suspected that he or she has been exposed to AIDS/HIV infection.

Employees are expected not only to abstain from premarital, extra-marital, bisexual, bestial, incestuous and homosexual forms of sexual conduct, but also from provocative sexual behavior that falls short of biblical purity.

When divorce or separation occurs in a current employee’s life or has occurred in an applicant’s life, each case will be judged on its own merit. Pastoral references and the results of the MMPI [Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory] may be consulted.

All expatriate head-of-household employees shall affiliate with another ministry in Taiwan, in order that they may feel connected to the missionary effort in Taiwan and better understand the primary reason for serving at Morrison.

http://wiki.mca.org.tw/doku.php?id=policy_manual:3000_personnel

Meanwhile, the Student Manual forbids “promotion of or involvement in the occult.” I wonder if that would include the Chinese folk religion? There are also some restrictions on dancing, but these are not elaborated.

1 Like

Making money?

3 Likes