Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Turned down totally, or turned down for the premium don’t have to renounce route?

Premium don’t renounce route.
My prior career back home is in their professional list . They tried saying well you don’t do that job in Taiwan. I said sure because no company in that industry hires foreigners without Taiwan ID… their words not mine.

Chicken and egg. Government didn’t care

3 Likes

Paperwork eh, no logical accounting for it sometimes. I’m going for the renounce route this year looking forward to the assorted devil’s in the details …going to be no shortage of those

2 Likes

It’s mostly the same as the APRC route with a few small extras. If you renounce it won’t be an issue. Let me know if you run into a snag as I probably have met with the relevant laws

2 Likes

So, @dan2006, did you take the renouncing route?

1 Like

No as I have elderly family in the old country and it may prove to be a snag in the future

Since countries allows you to get it back later on, no?

Both are assholes. Agreed.

They wanted me to hang around in Taiwan for another year without exiting (and after giving up my original citizenship ) when my family’s livelihood depends on it…They fuck off to Canada or America or whatever and have multiple passports…DOUBLE FYCKING STANDARDS!!!

5 Likes

Are you going to renounce your Irish one that you don’t want anyway. :joy:

Yea, going to renounce, and then unrenounce. First things first though have to pass the language test

It was a major inconvenience for me to renounce so I gave up at that point (I don’t have any other passport ). The language test is more like proof you attended a certain amount of Chinese classe, not of language ability, which is probably a good thing for many of us.

They have the test and the answers online. Link was somewhere around here. And just proof of class attendance is enough. Oh and if you are a foreign spouse, they have free classes for you.

Póngale gasolina!

2 Likes

I was working on the assumption that if you could pass the test, then you can skip the classes. Hope I am not misstaken.

There is that link of the most epic post ever. I was working off that so far

1 Like

yes, it must be a piece of cake for intermediate Chinese readers.

1 Like

Actually it is the other way around. If you have attended classes for more than 3 months, even if it was 20 years ago, you do not have to take the test. Bring some kind of certification and Bob’s your uncle.

They have some updates online. But basically yep, easy as pie.

3 Likes

I never took a class though. But I think if I just pass the test I am good to go. Guess if I am forced into a class It wont be the end of the world, but I’d rather not have to do it.

I’m pretty much illiterate in Chinese, but I recon I can do it :laughing:

1 Like

The latest group of naturalized citizens admitted under the new regulations include professionals from Malaysia, Poland, Indonesia, Canada, South Korea and Singapore. The number is now apparently up to 119.

Guy

Pathetically small number. Taiwan has a population of 23 million.

4 Likes

That’s like 40 pale faces a year.

Wonder what will happen to this law once the blues take over.

2 Likes

OMG it’s on Angela Merkel level migration numbers. Whoops sorry I read it as 119 000. :rofl:

2 Likes