Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Some key takeaways

One of the Malaysians helped Taiwan gain greater international recognition because of his breakthrough research on the prevention of thrombosis-related complications, though the use of the tapeworm drug Niclosamide, the MOI said…Another doctor, an Indonesian has been involved in the long-term care of patients with diabetes and thyroid diseases and has been teaching in related fields, the ministry said…
One of the Malaysians won the Ta-you Wu Memorial Award in 2018 and was recognized for his visionary and advanced research in the field of chemical biology, according to the ministry.

So if you aren’t developing a tapeworm drug, doing long term patient care, or advanced research in chemical biology, don’t bother applying.

3 Likes

Medical Marijuana ? :thinking:

3 Likes

I was thinking of applying but I’ll need to pull in the big guns to help me, I don’t have any patents or breakthroughs to my name :sunglasses:.

2 Likes

They outta skip the whole “medical” part and save all the fuss

1 Like

Get your priesthood. Better late than never.

3 Likes

He would still need 50 years of service as a priest to the poorest and most vulnerable. And still he would get his ROC nationality somewhere between 90 and 100 years old.

5 Likes

I present data points; you guys talk about heading to the mountains to become priests.

Welcome to forumosa! : P

Guy

Well, for the average Forumosan, it is easier to become a priest than a microbiologist of world renown achievements. Doctor, maybe…

Now that I think about it, I know several foreign doctors who work with Taiwan missions abroad. They should be shoo-in on humanitarian grounds alone.

I also advocate ROC nationality for all foreign women who have given birth to 3, 4 or more new Taiwanese. They cannot get nationality on work base, marriage is shaky as hubby tends to kick them to the curb one heirs are produced/get old/hides assets or has them under the family name. With nationality they can work independently and support their children when their irresponsible man- baby hubby just drops them and the children become a burden to grandparents and society.

3 Likes

Reasonably small number. They should be extraordinary.

1 Like

Depends which way you look at it. As it was supposed to boost Taiwan’s economy it’s almost worthless.

4 Likes

I’m a positive thinker. A problem solver :grimacing:
But good point.

it is a number of extraordinary foreigners who want to get ROC nationality. Pathetically and reasonably are not contradictory.

1 Like

That’s a good point as I’ve met a few western factory bosses here that have not got dual citizenship but have opened factories and employed locals. I guess it’s too blue collar, doctor, priest and mictobiologist > factory owners. A dirty tough business, unflattering profession, so no wonder. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:However, I’m surprised (correct me if wrong) that not a single English teacher got this despite thousands working here. Is there no value in it. I’d think that industry (language schools) has contributed more to Taiwan’s economy than all the scientists and doctors combined.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
@Brianjones I think it’s about appearances and face, not economics
How about priest / missionary / language teacher / rich guy

2 Likes

Correct I would say.

1 Like

English teachers are disposable. They are only wanted for a year and then to go home as the new batch fresh off the boat are ignorant and ready to be exploited. And so on and so forth every September. Factory workers the same. You don’t want them to get read up on their rights or anything.

2 Likes

The dam is about to burst . The fall of the Berlin Wall of Taiwanese immigration is neigh.

Rejoice you heathens for the day comest that ye shall not be asked to relinquish thine former citizenship for citizenship of the ROC.

However by that time the ROC may be no more and you will have to fight all over again to become citizens of the New Republic Nation of Formosa. And all your new taiwan dollars shall be exchanged for the New new Taiwan dollar the NNT.

5 Likes

I said factory bosses not workers

you mean buxiban owners?

1 Like

Did I say that ?

at least one?

didn’t you?