Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

I really don’t know what you’re talking about.

…and yet…here we are asked to give up our original citizenship in order to apply for TAIWAN!

“Arton Capital’s Passport Index takes into consideration the passports of 193 United Nations member countries and six territories – ROC Taiwan, Macau (SAR China), Hong Kong (SAR China), Kosovo, Palestinian Territory and the Vatican. Territories annexed to other countries are excluded.”

Nine more people via the new route this week: 9高專人才歸化我國 「你是我的眼」編曲者陳飛午入籍 - 政治 - 自由時報電子報

including 3 in the medical field, 2 in the economic field, 2 in the arts and culture field, 1 in the science and technology field, and 1 in education field.

The headliner is a musician from Malaysia.

Also, for those applying … it looks like there is a pattern in the committee meetings. I would expect the following committee meetings this year to be in the last week of April, June, August, October and December.

Non AMP link:

Taiwan has 5 more citizens via the new route this week: https://www.cna.com.tw/news/aipl/202004280167.aspx

Headliner was a consultant for the WHO, an expert on plasma separation, with some aspects related to corona viruses. Also the Deputy dean of School of Medical Engineering at TMU.

Another was an Asian Games Gold Medal Winning Taekwondo master and a documentary maker.

2 Likes

“… expert on plasma separation …”

I can separate egg yolk and white, does that count?

8 more: https://www.cna.com.tw/news/aipl/202006290095.aspx

5 from education, 1 each from tech, economics and medicine.
A Professor at the Institute of Medical Humanities, head of a company related to wind power, and … umm … me.

18 Likes

Congrats!

4 Likes

You look really good for an 83-year-old. That’s the age they give dual citizenship out…right?

Kidding. Congrats.

6 Likes

Their threshold is just too high to make any substantive impact on Taiwan. I think congratulations for people who benefit from it but as a naturalisation scheme it sucks real bad, excluding far more people than including .

4 Likes

Whats your background? Did you win the Nobel Peace Prize? AI genius?

2 Likes

How does one apply?

I think this naturalization process through the ‘extremely amazing outstanding wonderful’ achievement people should not be praised on the media. I am happy for people who got it but this is far from an inclusive immigration encouraging policy, however, it is being marketed as such. The way I see it is that it narrows even more the chances to become a citizen for the foreigners currently living here unless they go the whole give up your citizenship first route. By the way it goes, as long as they are getting such a good press for this ‘outstanding naturalization’ scheme they won’t change anything else. Stretch the max they can to get amazing press doing nothing in relation to real immigration.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Do you still have to be on a TARC for 1 year before you get HR and ROC ID? Will you apply for the 台胞证 straight away? How long do you anticipate it will take after getting the ROC ID? I imagine it might take slightly longer for naturalised persons.

2 Likes

Roughly 3 or 4 per month, if you divide by 3.5 years.
2 Likes

No. They are exempted from the requirement of a certain period of physical existence on TARC in Taiwan.

Congrats @fifieldt

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

@fifieldt Very cool. Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Thank you to all those who shared thanks, in addition to everyone who contributed to this thread and the many others on naturalisation throughout this forum.

I’ve been meaning to write up a bit more about the experience, and will in time, but have been bombarded with messages from friends and family in recent days. I just quickly wanted to address a couple things.

Firstly, there are three current pathways for applying for naturalisation:

• The ‘regular’ route, which requires renunciation of citizenship and lengthy delays prior to obtaining useful ID
  • “Outstanding contributions to Taiwan”, which is what you see being used if it’s a priest who has been here for 50 years
  • “Foreign Senior Professional”, which is the route talked about in this thread and the one I am using.

I am also in favour of liberalising the system. However, I did want to provide a few tid-bits about my application that might give hope to someone thinking about applying using this route.

• I only have a bachelor’s degree
  • I don’t have any patents
  • I haven’t won any major international (or national) awards.
  • I have co-authored a book, but this appeared not to be taken into consideration because it was not “peer reviewed”
  • I’m under 40 years old
  • My association with Taiwan is only about 10 years long

As a part of this process, you petition your favourite government ministry to write you a letter of recommendation. The instructions are actually available in English.

I submitted around 90 separate documents to support my application. My letter of recommendation from the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) summed everything up in a single paragraph with three points, each related to a particular job I’d held and why the skills from that job would be helpful to Taiwan’s development.

The jobs they highlighted were ones that I’d say had the most ‘impact’ on society.

The second part of the process is to take your letter of recommendation from your favourite ministry and submit it to your local household registration office (along with your 90 documents). They send it to the Ministry of Interior, who has a citizenship committee that meets at the end of every second month.

In the news you’ve seen, the citizenship committee mostly took what MOST said, but they also made reference to some of my contributions to Taiwan.

I know that there are many of you on this forum who are more well qualified than me, have been here longer and have contributed more. Having gone through the process, if you love Taiwan I’d encourage you to give it a shot. It’s no longer just for Nobel prize winners.

22 Likes