Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

That’s very nice!
It would be great if you could share your experience in details. Hopefully, more people could follow your footsteps and get the so desired dual nationality!

1 Like

It’s a lottery! A raffle.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this.

Hi thread people.

Apologies - it has been a busy time. Amoungst other things, it was quite time consuming to go to every place I’d ever used an ID and switch over to the new ID.

Anyway, I wanted to share something with you and ask for ideas and feedback. Also, to see if anyone would like to collaborate on a volunteer driven effort :slight_smile:

One afternoon, I hacked together this little website giving a high-level overview of the various ways of obtaining TW citizenship. It’s currently full of typos and not detailed enough, but shrug:

https://citizenship.tw/

14 Likes

Are you over 36 years old? Military service is the only thing holding me back…

Looking forward to your update about the details of your path to gaining TW citizenship. The website is a nice start, it will be good watching it grow.

4 Likes

Another data point to add:

I applied under the professional category in technology (IT-related) and received a rejection letter from the MoST after about 3 weeks. It looks like a form letter and doesn’t have any specific reason for the rejection other than “does not meet high-level foreign professional standards”.

I won’t go into specifics (feel free to PM me), but the qualifications highlighted on the application were:

• BSE from a decent university
  • 10+ years of professional experience
  • 10+ years resident in Taiwan
  • Various Director/VP-level positions at Taiwan and US tech companies
  • Specific experience in technologies targeted by the MoST

I submitted about 100 pages of supporting materials including:

• Cover letter, CV, work verification letters
  • Various technical articles
  • Open-source contributions
  • Recommendation letters
  • Local media/magazine features

Given how opaque the process is I really don’t see any reason to reapply or appeal at this point so will likely leave it at that.

15 Likes

Sorry to hear about that. I think the recommendation letters have to be of a very high official, like minister. That seems to be the key. People with less academic or experience details have been given based on the “size of their mountain”.

@bananas should have been a shoo in, I mean, got fame, magazine features, etc. Too young?

2 Likes

There’s a few different routes but I’m surprised they didn’t give you approval given that resume. I’ve a similar enough background , just slightly different regarding the higher level degrees and length of stay, so I’m really not sure if they would approve me or not if I apply through that route. I really hate the subjectivity of their process, it’s terrible , and it’s open to completely gaming the system by guanxi, which is wrong . Maybe there is another economic contribution route ? There may be a different weighting for various technical fields, who knows. But I’m guessing they may lean heavily on the academic side which is probably me screwed as well.

4 Likes

Here’s a crazy idea: anybody who’s eligible for an APRC should also be eligible for citizenship, without giving up their original one.

16 Likes

Or based on reciprocity with other countries.

10 Likes

I’ve said it once and keep saying it: there are like 20 thousand Taiwanese with the old country’s passport. There are like 3 nationalized fellow country people that I know of. Please, be fair and reciprocate. There are like 8 of us here long term. 8 versus 20 thousand. C’mon.

7 Likes

I have thought of trying to apply on the basis of reciprocity.

1 Like

Does any Forumosan have the ear of President Tsai? I always see her in the media with various foreign dignitaries and such. I’d be nice to be able to chat with someone high level like that to bring up this issue.

No. That won’t work anyways. You need the support of Parliament.

3 Likes

Just friggin’ give the possibility to anyone that has been a resident for many years (let’s say 10+), worked or is married to a Taiwanese citizen. No excuses, people that have built their live here have probably added more value to the country than the high-level foreign professional ever will!

8 Likes

That’s true but she has the ear of a lot of high level politicians. Catch her ear and maybe we can catch others too

1 Like

I agree except for the 10 year part. If they were OK giving it to people 5 years in Taiwan with renunciation they should just remove the renunciation part.

1 Like

No. 10 Years is WAY TOO LONG.

Maximum 7.

Taiwan NEEDS to attract foreign talent. This isn’t supposed to be a nationalist ethnostate like Italy is. Italy is 10 years. It’s insane.

2 Likes

The strange part is that the time requirement for citizenship is shorter than for the APRC. The government is basically admitting that the hurdle of giving up your original citizenship is so unattractive to most people that a longer residence isn’t required.

This is how it should be: three years of residence for APRC, five years for citizenship (no renunciation required).

7 Likes