Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

They rejected his petition to give up his Japanese nationality. Lots of Japanese people with dual nationality.

2 Likes

Which, ironically, was the reason he was able to get Taiwanese citizenship without giving up his Japanese one. :joy:

But I think comfy was saying that even though Japan rejected his renunciation of citizenship prior to his obtaining his Taiwanese citizenship, he still automatically lost his Japanese citizenship AFTER he became Taiwanese.

While this may be true, there is no way the Japanese government would know he has become Taiwanese.

1 Like

This usually doesn’t happen though. I know people with dual Japanese/Taiwanese citizenship.

3 Likes

Taiwan is not a country. Japanese governmet cannot make its nationals stateless.

6 Likes

That was because he hadn’t acquired it completely.

Yes but I sure as hell wouldn’t be posting an article with my full name if I were him. (I haven’t seen another Japanese who has)

Also, a friend working in immigration for Australia told me that the way Australia (prior to allowing dual nationality) would find out is seeing if a “visa” was linked to your passport when you lived abroad.

If you returned on your Australian passport they often wouldn’t really take notice. But… the second you applied for nationality for your kids, moved back with your foreign spouse etc… that’s when you would have trouble

2 Likes

Right, because most people are smart and don’t go around telling their government that they’ve gotten another citizenship.

2 Likes

Still very unlikely to happen after he gains Taiwanese citizenship. It’s kind of a loophole. You’d have to do something pretty egregious to lose your Japanese citizenship.

You mean like posting an article with your full name and photo holding your second nationality? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Here is an example of someone who had no idea he lost his citizenship until the opportune moment.

He had been traveling on an Australian passport. Voted in elections etc… but actually lost his citizenship automatically.

Yes, that could be one way to expose your dual citizenship, but if you’re smart you would just tell the immigration official that you were traveling around the world for an extended period of time. Many countries don’t stamp your passport when you enter as a tourist, so they wouldn’t be able to verify your story.

You’re right. But Taiwan gives biometric entry and exit stamps. Aint no way you are flying from Taiwan to Japan without a Taiwanese physical or digital exit stamp

No. I can almost guarantee he’ll still have his Japanese citizenship ten years from now.

1 Like

We’ll see. But in technical terms he already isn’t…

And like the case study I gave… It has real consequences. His kids for example are not Australian now.

https://www.upmedia.mg/news_info.php?Type=24&SerialNo=5824

根據日本《戶籍法》第106條,日本國民不能有雙重國籍,要提供國籍放棄的證明文件,不過日本政府並不承認台灣是一個正式的國家,所以沒辦法受理台灣政府開出的證明文件。

it must be the same when a Japanese applies for renouciation based on ROC nationality.

1 Like

True. But also, it depends on how strictly the Japanese government enforces this law.

Hong Kong, for example, has the same law. When a Hong Kong Chinese emigrates to Canada, for example, they are supposed to automatically lose their Chinese citizenship, as per the Nationality Law of the PRC. However, the Hong Kong government never really enforced this law because they didn’t write it. It was written by Beijing.

It wasn’t until 2019 or 2020 when they started enforcing it.

After contacting the relevant personnel of the Yokohama Legal Affairs Bureau of the Ministry of Justice of Japan, it was informed that since the Japanese government has no diplomatic relations with the government of the Republic of China and does not recognize each other, it will not accept the case of Japanese nationals applying for the loss of Japanese nationality by naturalizing the nationality of the Republic of China

4 Likes

I know they have that whole rule about picking one nationality once you’ve reached a certain age, but it doesn’t seem like it’s strictly enforced. My Japanese friends with dual citizenship haven’t run into any issues. I reckon it must be a bit different if you acquire another nationality at a later point in life though, versus say having two (or more) nationalities at birth.

Oh yeah that’s a completely different scenario.

From what I’ve read over the years, Japan has a don’t ask don’t tell policy for their citizens getting dual citizenship.

But try that as a naturalized foreigner and they can and have stripped the passport off people who have tried that in the past.

3 Likes

That double standard sounds kind of familiar… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

In technical terms I heard the ROC doesn’t allow dual citizenship. :joy: