Taiwan justice system

How is this a “remarkable piece”? It’s just a short article about a guy doing a bit of bird.

1 Like

There are thousands of lives being lived out there—and this is the sort of story we don’t often hear.

Crook deserves kudos, in my view, for writing it in such a quiet and balanced way.

Guy

Yeah, pretty whiny too. But I also agree that it was a fun read and a look at something we don’t hear much about. Nice article

1 Like

Yes, it was quiet and balanced, but hardly ‘remarkable’. I personally didn’t find it all that much fun.

1 Like

I enjoyed the reading.
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Well, I guess people who have never been imprisoned may find it remarkable, funny, enjoyable…

Where did you do time? :hushed:

1 Like

I’m loathe to answer that question on a public forum, but I’ve been a non-paying guest of a couple of different governments.

Yes, better safe than sorry. Your name looks really easy to trace. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Mr Multiple Ns, I don’t think anyone has claimed the article is “funny” or “fun.”

But I do appreciate Steven Crook’s work as a writer, showing us sides of Taiwan many of us may not otherwise see. Along with Davina Tham, he may be the best amongst us in doing so now.

Peace to all,
Guy

1 Like

Tempogain wrote: ‘But I also agree that it was a fun read…’
Happy New Year, Mr. Afterspivak.

1 Like

72 days in jail for arson?

That’s a serious felony here… like people get 20 years for this in the states.

So is the guy allowed to bond out or is he still in jail?

Read the article and you’ll find out.

I thought it was fun, in the sense that reading interesting things is fun. Admittedly, I was never incarcerated, so I may be missing out on some of the nuances which would allow me to sense that it’s actually shit, and I wasn’t totally bored by it. But then again, it’s not like anyone got shanked or violated, was it? A little light reading.

A little light reading? Not remarkable, then? I thought it was reasonably well written, mildly descriptive and fairly interesting. I’m looking forward to part 2.

No, I didn’t think it was remarkable. But how many things you read are. Mostly I was thinking the guy was whiny. I’d keep my head down and start breaking out my minnanyu lol. Pretty sure it would get a lot better. I’m sure I’d wind up translating for some whiny schmuck

You’d be surprised, DM. :no_mouth:

Your wish is Steven Crook’s command.

Part Two of the story is now posted here:

Guy

3 Likes

Yeahh…it’s OK. I felt it was more of a narrative than a journalistic offering. Maybe that’s all it was supposed to be?