Taiwan Mandarin Institute

Hi,

I’m looking into studying at TMI (Taiwan Mandarin Institute) and I was wondering if any former students could give me some opinions? :slight_smile:

Have they been in business long enough to have many former students? They’ve only recently appeared on the radar here at f.com at least, and we do watch out for such things. Not to say we don’t miss a few, but still.

Based on their web site and posts, I don’t see much indication that they’re any different than any other language school in Taiwan. They start with pronunciation drills (not necessarily IMO, but that’s “how it’s done” in Taiwan) and evidently emphasize reading and writing, since they list the precise number of characters one is expected to know in the beginner level.

I have to say, I have a very hard time getting past the name. :astonished:

Just out of curiousity, why don’t you think pronunciation right from the start is necessary? What’s the linguistic point of view?

I myself put quite a lot of time into learning pronunciation at basically every chance I get, I practise in the shower, while cooking, while on my way to school, etc. Am I doing it wrong? I have noticed, in my Chinese class at school, that most people who didn’t practise that much in the beginning are having a very hard time learning some of the sounds and, of course, the tones. Maybe they aren’t practising now that much, either, though. I don’t know. But I feel like my way is working out for me.

To topic. On TMI it says that a student at advanced level can read and write about 2000-2400 words. That can’t be a very accurate estimation of an advanced student’s capabilities, can it? I mean sure if they meant 2000-2400 characters, but it says they’re words. The average native speaker of most languages has a passive vocabulary of about 10000-15000 words, iirc. How could someone comfortably read a newspaper with 2400?

Personally, though, I would go for a real university if I were you, OP. I think you have a much better chance at actually becoming immersed in those, and at making Taiwanese friends.

Just out of curiousity, why don’t you think pronunciation right from the start is necessary? What’s the linguistic point of view?

I myself put quite a lot of time into learning pronunciation at basically every chance I get, I practise in the shower, while cooking, while on my way to school, etc. Am I doing it wrong? I have noticed, in my Chinese class at school, that most people who didn’t practise that much in the beginning are having a very hard time learning some of the sounds and, of course, the tones. Maybe they aren’t practising now that much, either, though. I don’t know. But I feel like my way is working out for me.

To topic. On TMI it says that a student at advanced level can read and write about 2000-2400 words. That can’t be a very accurate estimation of an advanced student’s capabilities, can it? I mean sure if they meant 2000-2400 characters, but it says they’re words. The average native speaker of most languages has a passive vocabulary of about 10000-15000 words, iirc. How could someone comfortably read a newspaper with 2400?

Personally, though, I would go for a real university if I were you, OP. I think you have a much better chance at actually becoming immersed in those, and at making Taiwanese friends.[/quote]

I’m taking Chinese at Uni as of September 2013. During the academic year 2014-2015 I will be studying at a Taiwanese University. I’m mainly just going to see Taiwan; I’ve been doing Chinese classes for about 3 years now. Whereas I can read/write about 1500個漢字 I wouldn’t consider myself to be anything more than a lower intermediate, so I was slightly perplexed by their level estimations. But dealing with their customer services, they respond very quickly and politely. My classes are 4 hours a day with homework (I hope). I’m hoping to get about 2-3 hours’ homework a day, is that standard?

[quote=“Sko”]

I myself put quite a lot of time into learning pronunciation at basically every chance I get, I practise in the shower, while cooking, while on my way to school, etc. Am I doing it wrong? I have noticed, in my Chinese class at school, that most people who didn’t practise that much in the beginning are having a very hard time learning some of the sounds and, of course, the tones. Maybe they aren’t practising now that much, either, though. I don’t know. But I feel like my way is working out for me.[/quote]

Because drills are based on output, not input, and worst of all, it’s meaningless output – literally (I mean that the words people are saying over and over have no meaning for them). I do believe in spot-corrections and helping people to realize what the correct way to form the sounds is, in cases where the sounds do not exist in the native language (like the retroflex series – if one is bothering with that in Taiwan :smiley: ), but teaching tones in context is much more memorable and effective than spending a couple of days or even weeks (in some cases) in a lab, parroting sounds that aren’t connected to anything meaningful. The brain craves meaning above all else in foreign language.

Many teachers don’t do much to effectively guide pronunciation (no directional gestures for tone/semantics, probably not a very effective knowledge of articulatory phonetics and/or a lack of sophisticated English to express those ideas to students effectively, and use of phonetically-appropriate hooks to scaffold recall of new words). I can’t say enough about the power of directional gestures – it’s kinesthetic and visual at once, it combines meaning plus pronunciation, and it’s very memorable.

I’m studying at this school. Have studied at universities and others, they all teach the same material more or less. PAVC, 1 through 5. Some differ, but this seems to be the core book set. So far, so happy with my tuition at TMI. They’re a nice group of people and the teacher I have is excellent. Finishing book one of Pavc this week and moving onto PAVC 2 soon. I recommend it, not just for price (seriously, they’re much cheaper than Shida, Taida and Zhengda), but they’re admired by companies as well - they work with Yahoo, Garmin, Espirit and others. tmichinese.com/partnership/

Basically I am getting the same education I’d get at one of the unis for cheaper and better tuition. That’s just my experience, anyway. Hope it helps. Just a minor edit, I think they’ve been in business for a few years, but moved buildings. They’re currently located near the Taipower MRT. And there’s plenty of students of all nationalities, so you’ll make friends with expats here. Although I’d encourage you to make as many Taiwanese friends as you can. I did, and it’s really helping my language skill. There’s no better language learning tool than practice with native speakers. Good luck in Taipei.

[quote=“todegreeornotdegree”]I’m studying at this school. Have studied at universities and others, they all teach the same material more or less. PAVC, 1 through 5. Some differ, but this seems to be the core book set. So far, so happy with my tuition at TMI. They’re a nice group of people and the teacher I have is excellent. Finishing book one of Pavc this week and moving onto PAVC 2 soon. I recommend it, not just for price (seriously, they’re much cheaper than Shi-Da, Tai-Da and Zheng-Da), but they’re admired by companies as well - they work with Yahoo, Garmin, Espirit and others. tmichinese.com/partnership/

Basically I am getting the same education I’d get at one of the unis for cheaper and better tuition. That’s just my experience, anyway. Hope it helps. Just a minor edit, I think they’ve been in business for a few years, but moved buildings. They’re currently located near the Taipower MRT. And there’s plenty of students of all nationalities, so you’ll make friends with expats here. Although I’d encourage you to make as many Taiwanese friends as you can. I did, and it’s really helping my language skill. There’s no better language learning tool than practice with native speakers. Good luck in Taipei.[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I appreciate it! :smiley:

I studied at TMI too. I did all of PAVC Book 2 with them. Managers are friendly. They have classes in the evening because some of us actually have day jobs! They are way cheaper and more flexible than the university classes too. You only have to sign up for 1 month instead of a 3 month semester. The teachers are motivated and interact with you as the classes are smaller.

I only quit that school because I live so far away near Danshui :frowning: I wish I could find a similar Chinese school like that North of Shilin.

I assume the school is still in business? I’ve sent them email with regards to taking a class but they never respond.

Yeah…they take ages to respond. I asked them to get back to me when a new class would start. Never heard back from them (which I just don’t understand…I’m trying to give you money!). Am taking online lessons through MTC. But I did go to the TMI trial and it seemed really good. I live in Nankan and it would have been a major pain to go to Taipei everyday for class…

Hi All,
We do try to reply to all emails within a few hours of arrival, however some emails make it into the junk or spam folder which we cannot control.

Just to keep you all up-to date on new classes that are opening soon!

New Complete Beginner morning class starts July 1st @ 9am (Class capped at 7 students max.)
New Complete Beginner evening class starts July 8th @7pm (Class capped at 7 students max.)
3 X New Beginner-Lower Intermediate(PAVC Book 2) starts July 15th @9am or 11am or 7pm. (Class capped at 7 students max.)

Please post here or email www.tmichinese.com.

Thanks

TMI Team

Hi Kelake,
Many apologies for our late response of the emails, we will endeavor to respond faster in future.
Thank you

Taiwan Mandarin Institute

I’ve noticed several posts saying that TMI is much cheaper than the universities, say like MTC. Except, I’ve been doing a lot of research into the price and hours and its really only a couple hundred NT cheaper… not “half the price” as some people say. I can’t really say what everyone’s conversion is, but a couple hundred NT works out to buying 2 drinks at Starbucks… so pretty much not worth mentioning… maybe I’m missing something!!!

Anyway, I’m getting a lot of hit and miss. I’m looking at MTC, TMI and MLC. thoughts?

TMI… Too Much Information…

I did three weeks of classes at TMI. I was thoroughly impressed with the teaching quality and the general administration. Class sizes are small (I had three classmates), my teacher was engaged and seemed to really enjoy teaching. Homework wasn’t as overbearing as I had feared: there was work to do, but it wasn’t tedious. The location is really ideal: there’s a plethora of places to eat just around the corner. Dante’s is close enough to sprint for a coffee during the breaks.

Thanks for the info, tainted!

[quote=“canuck1”]I’ve noticed several posts saying that TMI is much cheaper than the universities, say like MTC. Except, I’ve been doing a lot of research into the price and hours and its really only a couple hundred NT cheaper… not “half the price” as some people say. I can’t really say what everyone’s conversion is, but a couple hundred NT works out to buying 2 drinks at Starbucks… so pretty much not worth mentioning… maybe I’m missing something!!!

Anyway, I’m getting a lot of hit and miss. I’m looking at MTC, TMI and MLC. thoughts?[/quote]

I am wondering about this too, because i just got a mail from TMI telling me a 3 Month Course is 75,000 $NT (for intensive coruse if i am right) … whilst CLD is 35,000 $NT a Semester and MTC Intensicve(!) for 3 Month is 32,400 $NT … or am i missing something?

This is not ment to bring a bad light on TMI, they responded quickly and friendly… is was just a bit suprised when i read the price

Hi all,

I just thought I’d share my experience with TMI. After posting my review (see below on Yelp), they removed all pictures of the company listing, and changed the name of the company (on Yelp) so that others can’t google and find my review. This is the kind of company that you’re dealing with. They are very good that hiding the company from popular review websites (e.g., tripadvisor, yelp) and so at least if you do sign up, you’ll do it with full information.

Simon

I registered with TMI for a 45 hour 1 on 1 lessons, which would span three weeks. If you do give them a shot, rest assured that as of now, the teachers are generally great and they’ll do whatever they can to help you learn. But I was so infuriated at management that a couple months later, I took the time to write this review. That should tell you a lot too.

Read below if you want details on both the good (teachers) and the bad (management).

DEALING WITH TMI MANAGEMENT

The most annoying issue was the cancellation of class for a typhoon. I understand cannot occur when there’s a typhoon, but somehow TMI thinks it’s okay to make their students still pay for the lost classes.They WILL NOT reschedule or reimburse you arguing that they 1) have to still pay their teachers, and 2) that it’s required by Taiwanese law.

It is straight up bull —.

After filing a complaint with the department of education, I got around. Eventually, the gov threatened to fine them 5000-20000 NT (150-600 USD) and allow me to sue them in court, they paid up because they knew they were wrong. I did get my money back though, $70 USD, which I donated.

Did I really care about the $70? No. But it shows you how unprofessional TMI can be. [Moderator’s note: email link removed].

Just a few snippets:

• [Redacted] first tried to guilt me in asking my teacher to give up her pay for that day, so that I can be reimbursed
  • He then told me that he was in line with their license, and that I could do file any complaint I wanted.
  • After I told him I would file complaints, he replaced my next class teacher’s with a teacher who had no teaching background. Although she was nice as a person, that class was a waste. Coincidence? Probably not.

In fact, there were many signs that TMI just doesn’t give a d@mn.

Hint #1 Getting more information: Before I paid well over $1000USD to join, I asked my girlfriend’s father (who lives in Taipei) to drop by to checkout the place. They straight up refused to let him even check the facilities, let alone speak with anyone about the materials. I had to call.

Hint #2 Security deposit: They ask for 10% security deposit. They converted the $NT to Euros, which would have effectively made me 2 transaction fees, at their own rates, which meant more money in their pockets. I had to ask to have it changed to either NT (fine by me) or USD.

Hint #3 Teacher Scheduling: Every week, there was trouble with my schedule. I had requested afternoon lessons, and most of the time they managed. On the one day that I ask to end early (I had to catch a train south), they scheduled me from 3-5pm with the note “I managed to keep your Friday light for your trip away Thanks”. Thanks, right.

In sum, they know that foreigners have no recourse if things go wrong, and that there’s always more stupid foreigners looking for chinese classes. I wasn’t the only one that was pissed that they didn’t offer make up class. But I’m probably the only one that knew 1) you could file complaints, 2) bothered to do it, 3) had a native Taiwanese handle all of the phone calls with Taiwanese government agencies.

THE TEACHERS MAKE UP FOR IT

The courses at TMI are based on NTNU’s class materials (NTNU is the second largest university in Taipei). And when I mean based on, I mean that that the teachers are told you have you buy the NTNU’s textbooks, and then they you proceed with the materials chapter by chapter. Why not take it at NTNU? Well, they don’t offer such short classes at the university.

Many chinese schools believe that you can stick any native speaker into a classroom, and all the teacher has to do is prununciation drills. This seems to be somewhat TMI’s belief too, as they seem to offer the teachers very little prep time.

That said, I was incredibly lucky that I got miss Xie - and that the teachers at TMI, despite TMI itself, really do care.

As a university professor myself, I’m quite familiar with ways to structure a good lesson. Illustrate the problem, get good memory aids, and tailor the lesson to your students. Miss Xie was always very prepared, with flashcards, games, and powerpoint that augmented the content of a lessons. Heck, we played a game of “battleship” that helped me learn difficult terms about location (e.g., in front, behind, next to, besides, etc.). I even had character lists on Quizlet, a great online flashcards platform that allowed me to study the characters while on the metro. Just awesome.

MODERATOR NOTE: Edited to remove individual’s name.

Full disclosure: TMI is my client and advertises on this site.

However, I am now also their client and have been taking classes 4 days a week for almost a month now.

After 15 years on this rock, and much cajoling from, well, just about everyone, I finally decided to buckle down and get this done.

Call it what you will, fear, laziness, what have you, I have avoided Mandarin study like the plague. I have naturally picked up what I refer to as Taxi Chinese (can direct a taxi or order food for the most part) just thru osmosis of being here for so long, but tone was always 4th and 30 seconds into any conversation, I’d succumb to my standby pat Taiwanese phrases like “tiabo” or “piesay” and then the old reliable “wo de zhong wen rang wo dio lian”.

But, as I said, I bowed to the pressure and am now getting up at 7AM, 4 days a week and hauling my “da peegu” up to TaiPower to take 2 hours of classes (8 hours a week) Monday thru Thursday.

There are 8 of us in the class (thankfully an old friend who’s been here as long, if not longer, as I have is also sharing the shame). It’s a beginner class and we have 2 teachers splitting the duty. The teachers are energetic and patient and extremely well-prepared (I was never prepared half as much in my teaching days) with handouts, videos, and slow, step by step practice from the text book. They are patient and allow us time to ask questions and still manage to get thru their lesson plan without it feeling rushed.

And surprise, surprise, surprise, I am now hearing and speaking tones. We are constructing simple sentences complete with time, place, object and action. Our teachers speak mostly Mandarin to us, but will switch to English as a last resort. As the days tick by, they have to do this less and less.

It’s tough (we just did “liang ci” today and holy crap)…but I’ve no doubt that I’ll get it. Not being an early riser, what…my whole damn life, I am actually bounding out of bed with a zeal I never imagined mustering. It’s fun and I don’t feel lost at all…except for the abundance of characters used. I can’t help but feel these are a colossal waste of time at this point in the process. We aren’t using BoPoMoFo. but rather straight into full on “bei wa”. I prefer the pinyin and have no use for the traditional. I questioned the director about this and he seemed fairly confident that it would eventually pay off, so I will go with the flow for now.

All in all, a great investment of 8K a month.

Nice one, keep it up!