Taiwan Mattress Sizes - Anyone have them handy?

Can anyone share a chart with all the common mattress sizes available in TW? I want to make a decision on buying sheets here in the US.

I tried the IKEA TW site, but was not in a Reading Chinese mood…

When I was in TW, I bought a wonderful FOAM single mattress for about 5000.
I might have been ripped off, but I never regretted it.

Unfortunately, because I am 6’, I later purchased a queen mattress
from the same guy, but in this case, he brought me a spring mattress.
(It was about 7000 from a guy on the north side of Da’an Park in Taipei)
I told him I liked foam and he acted like he never sold a foam mattress
in his entire life.

Well I’m in California, and I’m sleeping on a 2000 usd Temperpedic Mattress and I don’t LIKE it.

When I return to TW, I plan to pillage Taiwan until I find a foam mattress just like the one I bought for 5000 ntd.

I’m going to build a custom bed that holds two of them together. so please,
if anyone knows please supply me with the chart for Taiwan mattress sizes.
But wait, there’s more! Since nothing is free, I’ve supplied you all with the Mattress sizes in the US:

USA Mattress ===“USA inches” ======== “CM”
Cal King ========= 72x84 ====== 182.88 x 213.36
King ============ 76x80 ====== 193.04 x 203.20
Queen ========== 60x80 ====== 152.40 x 203.20
Full (“double”) ==== 53x75 ====== 134.62 x 190.50
Twin ============ 38x75 ====== 096.52 x 190.50

Specialty Sizes:
Olympic Queen === 66x80 ====== 167.64 x 203.20
Full Extra Long === 53x80 ====== 134.62 x 203.20
Twin Extra Long == 38x80 ====== 096.52 x 203.30

Sizes can vary by +/- 0.5 inches

Some of the mattress sizes that you list for the U.S. are not accurate. Here are the actual U.S. sizes:

Twin (Single): 39" x 75" = 99.1 cm x 190.5 cm
Full (Double): 54" x 75" = 137.2 cm x 190.5 cm
Queen: 60" x 80" = 152.4 cm x 203.2 cm
King: 76" x 80" = 193.0 cm x 203.2 cm
California King: 73" x 85" = 185.4 cm x 215.9 cm

See this website for charts of U.S. bed sizes, U.K. bed sizes, Euro bed sizes, and German bed sizes.

Also, here are the Australian and New Zealand bed sizes, which are different than the sizes in any other country.

However, the bed sizes in Taiwan are different than any of these sizes, and they are based on the Taiwanese inch and the Taiwanese foot. They are not based on English inches or centimeters. Here are the conversions:

1 Taiwanese foot = 30.3030303… cm = about 11.9 English inches
1 Taiwanese inch = 3.03030303… cm = about 1.19 English inches
(1 Taiwanese foot = 10 Taiwanese inches)

In Taiwan, there are two different sizes of Twin Size beds (Single beds):

a. 3 x 6 Taiwanese feet = 90.9 cm x 181.8 cm
b. 3.5 x 6 Taiwanese feet = 106.1 cm x 181.8 cm

I’m sorry, but I don’t know the measurements of Taiwanese Queen Size beds or King Size beds. I’ll take a tape measure the next time I go to Carrefour and measure the mattresses if you really want to know the sizes. By the way, there are no Full Size beds (also called Double Beds) in Taiwan.

Anyway, you can always special order a custom made mattress to any size that you want. I’m much taller than most Taiwanese people, so a bed that is only 182 cm long is too short for me because my feet would hang over the end. So I special ordered a custom made mattress to be exactly the same measurements as an Australian “King Single” mattress, which is 3’6" x 6’8" = 106.7 cm x 203.2 cm. But the only problem is Taiwanese sheets don’t fit my mattress, so I have to get all of my sheets from Australia.

The extra charge for special ordering a custom made mattress is very reasonable. It depends on which furniture store you buy the mattress from, but they usually only charge about 500 NT extra.

Also, if you want to have a soft mattress (like a normal mattress in Western countries, but considered to be very soft compared to most Taiwanese beds), then be sure that you buy a mattress which says that it is made of “independent springs” (獨立彈簧) (du2 li4 tan2 huang2) because otherwise, the mattress will have all of the springs connected together, so it will be the same as the “box springs” (the bottom mattress) in Western countries, and it will be extremely hard. (This is why most Taiwanese beds are so hard. It’s because all of the springs are connected together in a matrix, so it’s really the same as “box springs”.)

Stig, are you going to bring a tempurpedic to TW? They are very expensive.

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]
If you want to have a soft mattress, then be sure that you buy a mattress which says that it is made of “independent springs” (獨立彈簧) (du2 li4 tan2 huang2) because otherwise, the mattress will have all of the springs connected together, so it will be the same as the “box springs” (the bottom mattress) in Western countries, and it will be extremely hard. (This is why most Taiwanese beds are so hard. It’s because all of the springs are connected together in a matrix, so it’s really the same as “box springs”.)[/quote]

As I mentioned, I’m done with spring mattresses.

Thanks for the link and info! I copied my mattress chart from a publication I picked up at a place called Sit and Sleep store in California, so they obviously have their own agenda.

I tried looking at the IKEA website for this info, but I wasn’t in the mood to study Chinese. Perhaps you can find the info there or at another TW mattress store website rather than measure stuff at Carrefour.

I’m specifically interested in knowing the exact size of a twin (single) mattress.

If I move my Temperpedic to TW, I’ll have to hire a big moving company or forwarding company.

It’s nice, but I liked my cheap TW foam mattress better!

In case you didn’t read my earlier post carefully, I’ll repeat the answer:

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]In Taiwan, there are two different sizes of Twin Size beds (Single beds):

[/quote]

In case you didn’t read my earlier post carefully, I’ll repeat the answer:

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]In Taiwan, there are two different sizes of Twin Size beds (Single beds):

[/quote][/quote]

You are right, I obviously didn’t read it carefully! Obviously I wasn’t in an English reading mood either.

Thanks! I have all the info I need now! I hope this post can stay here for other persons, or if you (Mark) or another person can post the queen and king sizes, I’d appreciate it. I had no idea that Carrefour had king sized beds. Next time I’m there, I’ll check them out! I don’t think they will have a pure foam King sized though, which is why I’m trying to see if I can make one from two singles (still wondering why they call them “twins”).

Im using a (mexican made) Full Size mattress I got from IKEA here in the bay area that is all foam. NO springs at all. It was bout 180 bucks I think, if i remember. Its pretty good but seeing the fine print its a bit soft for someone 200 pounds like me. So slightly not as supportive as it should be.

Taiwanese beds are hard, but they do support your back, but make you toss and turn a lot because your bones hurt from supporting your bod. Something like that.

Or it could be just me, i toss and turn anyway.

Point is, maybe IKEA has the all foam mattress you want?

Carrefour, RT-Mart, and Home Box have thin foam mattresses which can be folded up (they’re only about 10 cm = 4" thick), but they don’t have thick spring mattresses.

I was at Home Box today and I found out the sizes of all the mattresses. Here are the sizes:

Twin (Single) Size: 3 x 6 Taiwanese feet = 90.9 cm x 181.8 cm = 35.8" x 71.6"
Extra-Wide Twin (Single) Size: 3.5 x 6 Taiwanese feet = 106.1 cm x 181.8 cm = 41.8" x 71.6"
Queen Size: 5 x 6 Taiwanese feet = 151.5 cm x 181.8 cm = 59.7" x 71.6"
King Size: 6 x 7 Taiwanese feet = 181.8 cm x 212.1 cm = 71.6" x 83.5"

Notice that all Taiwanese mattresses are only 181.8 cm long except King Size mattresses. That’s too short for anyone whose more than about 170 cm (5’ 7") tall, so it’s too short for most Western guys. So that’s why I think it’s better to get your mattress custom made, which only costs about NT$500 more.

You said that you want to buy two Twin Size foam mattresses. You also said that you’re 6’ tall, which is 182.9 cm, so if you bought two Twin Size mattresses in Taiwan, then you would be more than 1 cm taller than the mattresses! So maybe you should see if you can find a King Size foam mattresses instead of buying two Twin Size mattresses.

1 Like

Posting this to help anyone who finds themselves searching for bedding in Taiwan in the future…

The mattress sizes provided in this thread were very helpful. Some of the things I learned while shopping for bedding in Taipei:

–If you are new to Taipei and have limited Mandarin skills, then make your life easier and shop at one of the large department stores, such as RT Mart, Carrefour, Ikea, etc. I visited each of these stores; Ikea had the best overall selection (although more limited than styles shown online and back home); the selections at RT Mart and Carrefour were disappointing.

–Although this is anecdotal, it seemed to me that bedding was expensive in Taipei, at least as compared to the selection and quality of bedding I could find back home for the same price. If I could do it all over again, I’d have brought bedding from home (and towels, actually).

–As best as I can tell - and this realization didn’t dawn on me immediately - sheet sets in Taiwan do not include a “flat” sheet. For example at Ikea, a sheet set will include a fitted sheet, two pillows, and a cover for a blanket (what in America would be usually refer to as a duvet cover). Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I simply didn’t see any flat sheet anywhere I looked.

–Another Ikea tip: if you are getting a set of sheets from Ikea, you will need two items which are sold in separate packages: a) one fitted sheet, and b) one sheet set consisting of (2) pillow cases and (1) blanket/comforter cover. The sizes of the available sheets may not exactly match the dimensions of your bed. For example, my bed is 152x190cm (just a little longer than the length dimension provided for a “Queen” Taiwanese mattress earlier in this thread; I’m not sure why). The closest fitted sheet at Ikea will be 160x200cm; a little big, but it works. The blanket cover in the sheet set, however, will be exactly 150x200cm. (Ikea also sells blankets/comforters that are exactly 150x200cm too). I didn’t think this through at the time and purchased the 150x200cm sheet set and accompanying blankets, neither of which fully cover the width of my bed. This is not a problem if one person is sleeping in the bed, but two people would not be fully covered unless they sleep very close together. So with all that said, consider getting a larger sheet set and blanket so that the entire width of the bed is nicely covered if there are two of you in bed (the next size up at Ikea is 200x200cm).

–If you are renting semi- or full-furnished room/apartment, then there’s a good chance your mattress will be something more like a cross between a box spring and a mattress - incredibly hard to sleep on without a mattress pad.

I also haven’t found flat sheets at Ikea but others say that they are there. I actually like using the comforter cover as a sheet with no blankets (until winter).

For beds I would recommend that everyone looks at Hola. A big selection of imported beds between 20-30K (and a lot more). I’m loving the Serta that I got last month.

I have been sleeping with both feet dangling off the edge of the bed ever since moving to Taiwan. I’m not even that tall. Why are most of the beds here made for people under 170 cm?

You need to ask this question?