Taiwan meat is "leftover parts"

I doubt that’s their thought process. I think you might have got that from a children’s cartoon.

2 Likes

Many antibiotics forbidden in Europe, growth hormones.

We don’t really import American pork into Europe, and only the higher levels of American beef (I think just prime, but at very least choice) are imported into the EU (besides a general preference of having leaner meat, not too much marbling).

American food safety standards are questionable at best, only the super high level foods are really good, the everyday supermarket items…

Ready to get all the shit from Americans.

1 Like

I got no idea pig farm standards here but isn’t import of American pork a big controversy?

Also I see most American beef sold here are higher quality, no idea what grade but better than most of what I find in the states (cheap beef in the US tastes like leather).

That’s a philosophical question.

Although I as a consumer care, and I think if Taiwan’s pork would get better publicity for export if they would feed the pigs better.

No bone shards in meat is the worst. Bone on the meat does improve flavor but there’s no reason to chop right through it all lazy like

2 Likes

Americans know that full well, it’s just the political system is setup for the corporations, such as the mega conglomerate food campanies, that very little can be done to change the situation.

Most of Taiwan’s regulation is much closer to Europe than the US, regardless of actual enforcement. We just don’t have the luxury to negotiate out of the US selling meat with residual growth-hormones in them because the US would withhold weapons sales otherwise.

2 Likes

Yea that requires long term thinking and risk taking, and humans seem very bad at that.

I remove the heads and then crush them up in olive oil and then a small amount of water. It makes a delicious stock.

2 Likes

Do you care? Ironically people eat toxic sludge, even pay for it. Just like pigs eat what are given to them. Difference being the pigs are in tight cages and the alternative to slop and shit is starvation, disease and death. Of course they eat it. The real question is why do you also eat it lol. Me, us, they, everybody eats sludge. We can justify the difference all day. But I think you get my point.

There is no question Taiwanese know their way around cooking a pig WAY more than in say North America. Its ok to not like the style, but one cannot deny the skill. There are very few morals here about raising them, but torturing them for flavor and processing them into dishes? Taiwan has mastered. As much as I LOATH the pork industry in Taiwan, I can’t deny its some of the best tasting. Try the force fed obese pigs at temples sometime. It is a good example of the extreme psychopathy involved in our food. But it does taste good for those few minutes of tongue feel!

I also agree with on the bone. I prefer less oil, so like chicken breast over brown meats and bony stuff. But the oils and fats surrounding bones are not controversial either. Some cuisines just got lazy then added extra oils and flavors to make up for inbred raw pure muscle meats. I find the shredded turkey, now often chicken breast, on rice dish quite satisfying and stupid simple. Also cheap.

I made dumplings from American pork and it tasted like CRAP. Basically dry as hell. It makes a huge difference. Problem is most the time they are too lean. And this is pork I get from the chinese market, about 2.50 a pound. Believe it or not I had the best result using ground pork from Walmart.

In Taiwan I’ve never had any issue with making dumpling out of ground pork here, always tasted good. They have the right fat content and all that.

Everyone’s talking about Pork, but what about steak? American steak is incredible (although no idea if it’s because of weird chemicals / preservatives). Heck, even a $12 steak at Denny’s isn’t bad.

The steak in Taiwan is horrible (or… natural? Maybe it’s supposed to be not so amazing?). Tough, rubbery, slippery, creepy. Of course, the $100 usd+ steak houses around Taipei 101 are exceptions (but… I think they use American steaks).

Someone ELI5 and educate me on Taiwan vs USA steaks.

It’s supposed to be amazing, I grow up eating grass fed. I guess in Taiwan they don’t have place for the cattle to walk around and are eating process food. Maybe they are old too.
Also could be the way they slaughter, kosher beef is more tender for example.

Where are you eating tough steaks? Is it the 200nt place, or is it the better ones? 12 dollar at Denny’s seem cheap, especially today restaurant meals in the states are over 20 dollars, and not including tips.

Yup. Same in Taiwan.

Same in Taiwan until two years ago when Taiwanese people overwhelmingly voted to begin importing American pork because they love kissing American ass so much, so you have them to thank for that.

In the US, you can get ground meat in different fat contents. if you picked a lean one when you need a fattier one, kind of on you.

2 Likes

Walmart has it in boxes and I have no idea the specific cuts or fat content but meats in the states are always sold on the lean side. But the Walmart meat was always good, sometimes. I don’t know what specific cut was ground. I think in Taiwan they generally use the hind leg meat for ground pork.

It’s the same as Costco ground beef in Taiwan, sold on the lean side. They’re not good for hamburgers for example because they’re 88% lean. You want at least 20% fat content for burgers or else it will taste dry as heck. I just buy Costco patty and use them either for burgers or whatever else (meat loaf and such) because not only is it cheaper per pound, it has the proper fat content.

I hate this health thing with people selling meat that’s way too lean.

There is the problem right there.
Walmart would be the last place I’d buy meat from…or any other fresh produce.

Pretty much every town in the US has a butcher. Go there. Or look for decent meat counters at supermarkets.

Even when not labeled with a %, there’s always a nutritional label provided for boxed products, eh?

it is, of course not. for ground meat, 80/20 is probably the most popular, which is not super lean. And you regularly see all the way from 95/5 to 70/30. 70/30 is not anything resembling lean, nevermind super lean. Actually made some pork dumplings, along with pork and shrimp dumplings last weekend. Used 75/25 and it was pretty great, even with the shrimp I didn’t add any fats.

All that aside, and of course one of the things that makes prime cuts prime is the fat content.

Getting rarer to find a legit butcher shop unfortunately, and more of them are moving more upscale.

2 Likes

I think, like many things, the problem comes down to incompetent cooks and indifferent customers. Even a cheap cut of beef can be massaged into a decent steak if it is prepared correctly. I know this because when I buy large cuts of beef at Costco I get the cheapest one
(not the tongue, sirloin tip I think), and cut off and cook my own steaks and they are fine. Some people like the bone and fat on the steak, those leftover parts are desired.

Last time I ordered a steak in a fancy place here I said medium well, and I told the waitress if it was bloody I’d send it back. Of course, it went back.

3 Likes

I wish I could buy large cuts of pork with bones. I’d like a Boston butt with bones as it’s the prime cut for pulled pork. Or thick center cut with bones. Or a bone in chuck roast. Even chuck is hard to come buy and it’s the perfect fat content for burgers. Costco started cutting and slicing all pork including ribs. Bones add flavor.

1 Like