Taiwan Needs Proper Driver Education Like This!

Comparing countries death rates in traffic accidents is the surest way to push a real problem under the rug by justying unrelated numbers. Frankly, i dont care about the numbers in the US, I care about the place i live, taiwan. And the situation here for driving, logic, spacial awareness, prevention etc is absolutely horrendous. Like embarrassingly bad. Its a shame on all of us, not just those with different ID cards.

The root seems to be about peoples awareness of their surroundings and logic. taiwan is unfortunately quite sellfish, unaware of thigs 10cm.from their face, dont listen and poor problem solving skills. These things are treated as.face iasues and avoided, but they are the real issues and we should just be honest about it and move forward. Fixing these deficits in society wouldnt just improve traffic, but business, Logisitcs, intelligence, efficiency, environment, pokitics etc. Net positive by any metric.

Or enjoy your children getting mutillated or killed by people not paying attention. Which one seems like the better choice?

Infuriatingly frustrating!

7 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

They have to actually put people in the car on the road practicing and not learning by driving around a little parking lot.

There must be a damn strong Mafia managing all these automobile driving schools.

Funny back home there are no enclosed driver training places like in Taiwan. People learn to drive on the roads. Practice driving where you going to drive.

They have places without limits there, right?

Where I drive in the US the limit is @115 kph and most people follow it closely because tickets come readily and aren’t cheap. In Taiwan I drive @120 kph and get passed often by people pushing 140~150. In the country side in Taiwan the limit is 50, but most people are driving 70-80+ when big trucks aren’t blocking the way.

I know someone who does that in taipei lol. They know where the cameras are.
Yea its a bit odd, the speed limit is there in built up areas for good reason.

That’s another part of the problem: Cameras are brightly coloured and advertised by signs so it’s not “unfair” for whatever reason. In Germany they put them into trashcans or hide them in shrubbery.
A lot of Taiwanese driver don’t understand the concept, that a speed limit is something you have to follow nut just in places with a camera.

The GPS apps give you 600~1000m warnings and exact distance to the camera so you can drive 140, slam on your brakes 50m before the camera and go right back up to 140 in a few seconds.

Laser jammers are only about 20 thousand in Taiwan. With radar detectors, GPS and laser jamming your chances of getting a speeding ticket are slim.

1 Like

When I first visited Taiwan, was first thing I noticed.

They have no peripheral vision eyes only look straight ahead and never behind.

Drivers IF they indicate/blinker only when actually turning not before, and driving in the lanes car is Boss get out of the way I’m in a big bad car you lowlifes.

Scooter riders in a world of there own, I did use one for a bit was OK drive like them, do or die, I stopped as I got fed up looking for parking.

1 Like

yea the concept doesn’t really work. apparently you are allowed to go above 10 above the speed limit too, so the whole idea of following the speed limit in taiwan is cha bu duo.

The 10km thing seems almost worldwide. It allows for slight mechanical variation, incorrectness. Except maybe Germany, they are perfect in everything they build, so maybe only allow 1km over…

Never assume anyone has peripheral vision. Always act as though they are not looking at you when they are backing up or whatever and give them a wide berth.

5 Likes

not my experience from my own country at all. The speed limit in built up areas is there for good reason and its followed. In taiwan basically everyone is going over, its really just a suggestion to follow it.

1 Like

Speeding cameras are really for revenue generation and not safety.

2 Likes

It’s around 10% of the allowed speed.

It would be easy to use the ETC system to average your speed between the two points and hand out tickets.
Hope they never do that because all the roads that have average limits set up are painfully slow.

That was one of manyreasons alarge portion of use refused to put a tracking device in car because they “want to get rid of toll booths”. As predicted, they absolutely are starting to use distance and time math to give out tickets. More to come. that aspect, alone, isnt necesarrily bad though.

@FenjaJie @BHL4life ya probably some areas in the world are sticklers for exact speed readings. i was being dickish about Germany, but reality is its like that in most of obsessive cultures in rich Europe and also corrupt countries looking for ticket revenue. Sky dragon country is the ideal local example. though in most places, there is a buffer due to equipment accuracy issues. In canada and the states it seems up to 9km, meaning not 10 or over, is ignored.

It also becomes a logistical issue. This may not be morally acceptable, but in cultures where finance is more important than morals as a base, it does make sense. Again, unfortunately.

probably its because europe (and england where i’m from) has a lot of old narrow roads so you need to be strict about it.

Taiwan has narrow roads but following the limit is optional, i’ve even been beeped for following the speed limit before. To be honest 10 kph faster would make sense the speed limits are kind of slow imo.

Absolutely. It allows offenders to keep driving at speed even for weeks before it surprises them in the mail. And the idea of hiding them in bushes or trash cans like someone said in Germany is a very obvious cash grab. Actual police educating people with a ticket is more effective and stops the behavior right away and allows it to be targeted at the worst offenders selectively.

I view speed limits as a suggestion at specific times. If it’s 2am in Taipei city, I’m not going to drive 50. Or roads with a long straight stretch with 3 lanes with a suspiciously low 50k sign. (For example that 10 km long runway near Kaohsiung airport)

This explains why many people do this. If anything the limits may need to be raised if everyone is driving faster.

1 Like

This actually created a whole group of people that drive like mad until they hit the next gantry and then they pulled over on the shoulder to ‘rest’ so they wouldn’t get a ticket. The news reported that police were asking people not to do that in various counties.

I dont think we need to mention how absolutely retarded that is in practice as you would gain zero time. I thought they had red bull and meth for the sleepies in taiwan…

1 Like