Taiwan Needs Proper Driver Education Like This!

People do not speed to save time. They speed because it feels good.

2 Likes

I would agree, yet I hear Taiwanese constantly say people in Taiwan are such skillful drivers (compared to US drivers for example). Why, because they can drive the wrong way down a one way road and dodge incoming traffic? Drives me crazy. :dizzy_face:.

Iā€™d be afraid if I drove in Taiwan and followed the actual rules of the road I would cause an accident because no one else is following the rules.

2 Likes

Maybe we need a social credit system to discourage such behavior?

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

It is not a cash grab. Germany has very thorough driving lessons and clear speed limits. They installed the hidden cameras because Germany had the same problems as weā€™re having here. People speeding, slowing down when arriving at a camera and the speeding again. The whole speeding problem got a lot better since you canā€™t be sure if thereā€™s a camera or not. It would be a cash grab if the cameras would stand directly behind the speed limit sign (which they are not) or if they were set on lower speeds than advertised.

Still a cash grab IMO. Cops hiding behind posts and cameras in bushes is BS. In my home country they tried doing cameras twenty years ago and the politicians that brought it in were fired the next election and the cameras disbanded. It was that hated.

This year they brought them back but only for school zones since that is an easier sell for the public. But the public would riot again if they were rolled out everywhere.

And I should add, Taiwan now does have mobile cameras that move around. They put up a portable sign that most people donā€™t notice and catch quite a few. There is a huge hill in Taichung for example that they like to set up on often. Itā€™s a portable unit and a cop stands nearby. I got busted by one at 2am once. Iā€™ve seen it moved all over the city and Iā€™m sure Taipei has them too

1 Like

This is part of the problem , they think it is skillful to constantly change lanes on the motorway. To accelerate and move into a small gap in front of someone. They donā€™t consider driving safely a skill.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the case in British Columbia, Canada. The premier Gordon Campbell got caught (he has also been caught driving drunk in the states and aresred, google it). People complained to no end abot something.they call photo radar. Essentially cameras, but the.police are sitting there. like the freeways here. However the law in BC is you must be served a ticket, in person. This system was setup to mail you a ticket. Everyonev.complained to no end they were being mailed tickets and the machines.must be faulty. A legitimate argument, but hard to prove.

Once the premier got.a ticket, the entire system was dismantled and now there is no photoradar in the same way it existed them. It was certainly a cash grab. You can see the loonacy , :), surrounding the situation, but it gets cloudy when .corruption enters the arena.

So, yes. Other countries which are GRAS have all the same problems as here. Question is, what are we doing about it? Conversation is great, as a startā€¦but what then? Pipes and baseball bats in the cars here havent fixed much in decades. Neither has media attentionā€¦ often it seems even losing aloved one doesnt make a person drive better.

In my opinion, teaching children is the most realistic approach, albeit a slower one. Has to happen though. There are numerous esl teachers here, so a decent dent can be done .just with you guys. When i owned a school and was teaching english here i would lean all my lessons towards somethig useful and just happen to teach it in english. driving was a major.one. grade 5 onwards, tests and homework always consisted of making or orienting through road maps, as an example. make it fun for them, have them draw a few things they like. But test critical thinking, and use english to test it. never had such great results as kids were actually thinking, and not being .forced in.engliah. english was just a tool to express what hey wanted to tell me. Chinese we did the same. Amazing results. so there are no excuses for lack of trying something.

Certain things like directional words seems.many taiwanese have trouble with. Left, right, accross from, next to, between all that. In chinese, as adults. Asking directions can be super headache inducing. I used to have great fun getting.ass hole parents in, the ones that always judge their kids based on test numbers. I would have the same map and same questions, kids in english, parents in chinese. when the parents score lower than the kids, it is time to have a meeting on how best to educate their littlins. to be fair, i would try and score the parents to take them down a peg or 2. My favorite way is red.circles around.their name as they tend to.write for.shit. following their standards in writing.characters in squares and smacking heir.kids for not being aligned write. I got a seriously sick pleasure form this, but only did it for the parents that had their kids come for chinese too. Funny jokes about hitting their hands cause they got their name wrong. It was an amazing way to be sarcastically over the top, but reflect how they act, in a sort of psuedo loss of face. It was an amazing way to get parents to become less douchy and take education seriously rather than screaming, abuse and caring about test scores. Perhaps related, most parents are totally unaware of the purpose of a test: to let the teacher know where the students are falling short. bad test scores reflect more on the parents and teachers than the student. Most of the time. Sad part is, people feel that takes time to correct. It does. and energy (work), and so letting people die, bad environment, dangerous streets becomes preferable than investing in the younger generation. retarded monkeys we are. Still worth doing our part though, one by one.

The video at the bottom of this Taiwan News piece shows that ā€œproper driver educationā€ has apparently not made it to this corner of Yilan County.

Guy

1 Like

Same in UK I hate cycling on UK roads, Taipei city no problem, a lot more awareness from drivers concerning cyclists.
Other than Taxis or Busses.

I reason as so many scooter on the road?

People think yesterday there was no other vehicle so today must be the same.

2 Likes

Looked up the place on Google Maps and used street viewā€¦even a blind bat could see the other scooter coming a mile awayā€¦

Hereā€™s the spot.
https://goo.gl/maps/X8x7ck8J4GKMkdm4A

Yeah that lady blasting through the red light didnā€™t even glance to see possible oncoming traffic. Terrible stuff.

Guy

3 Likes

I wonder how much blame will be placed on the guy who hit herā€¦

1 Like

Meanwhile in Taoyuan . . .

Guy

3 Likes

Street racing in Taoyuen has been going on for at least 20 years. It is well known for illegal racing.

1 Like

In your view, are we dealing here with corrupt cops, indifferent cops, or inept cops?

Guy

2 Likes

One taiwanese tells me that there are illegal street races because the government will not establish a race track, instead requiring a lot of money to rent private land, so they race illegally.

1 Like

For clarityā€™s sake: not :heart:ing the deaths or the street racing; :heart:ing both of your posts for their informational/teaching value.

2 Likes