Taiwan new golden age?

A real boom is when EVERYBODY is talking about what their second homes, their foreign homes and investments , their new cars, expensive spa treatments nannies…The works…I saw it all in my.home country 15 years ago . Was crazy. Like dollar signs shining from people eyes and everybody was convinced tomorrow was going to be EVEN BETTER. You could walk out of a job and be in another job next week. Pay was going up every six months.
There’s nothing like that in Taiwan.
But hey let’s see how it pans out. Maybe in the electronics sector this could happen…Again. other sectors…Not much happening.

2 Likes

Right, and as I have said, and the OP seems to imply, it’s just the beginning…or at least seems to be beginning.

Hopefully this will go somewhere. Most of us are just happy to be living in 2019 here.

You can also do it in the city, my street has few new homes. (need remove the old house though,)

Yes.
…Kaohsiung…

1 Like

80s or late 90s(early 2000s) are not coming back. Not that kind of boom

But best in these days possible

Yes I agree. I think Taiwan electronics is already booming along with some factories coming back…
I’m just a little skeptical of how that transfers overall. Good for some…Bad for others, as prices go up (rents going up, house prices in center and south too, food inflation ).
Environmentally…Not really good. I don’t think having a bit more money compensates for an unhealthy environment.

Yes, anywhere outside of Taipei!! (I see no reason good reason to live in Taipei other than work and if that were the case I move back to homecountry)

1 Like

North Taiwan is very over crowded and poor value. It isn’t just Taipei.
But yes the issue is work and the airport for most.

1 Like

Yeah, around TP/NTP your liking at at least a million before you start building.

Or buying one of those homes in the mountain communities with 30K monthly maintenance fees. Everyone I know that bought there regrets it because they are wealthy enough to travel often and hate paying so much for everything when they aren’t even home much.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be good for people, when like 90% Taiwanese own their y place

No they don’t. That is household registration . Your parents might own a house but you mght not own a house.
Anyway it’s no good if you don’t own a house its just monopoly money for people who already have money. Will it attract immigrants …?

1 Like

I will say my business is doing ok and it’s nice that I can live where I do. It’s not perfect but still good that I can live in single family home in a large city that “feels” like it getting much better (than say ten years ago), As for the airport, it does not matter now for me. I did think I would miss the work travel but found other ways around it (Google Meet for me) which seems outlast COVID. Looking forward I guess I will travel a lot less for work and think more how to have a better living standard here and avoid the rat race , haha !

2 Likes

Me too. Although not quite yet. Bring stuck here has become a real drag now.
But that is potentially leaving Taiwan for me.
A booming Taiwan doesn’t help.me in that regard. Land prices going up… Propertyy price going up…rebts going up…More cars
That doesn’t translate to better living standards.
I noticed how busy the roads are this year and also the expensive holiday accommodation is a real drag . Would hate it to get much worse (Chinese tourists were worse though )…

1 Like

Hotel prices here (South) seem not cheap, but Taipei has a lot of good deals ! But even with the cheaper prices I have been going to Taipei less or just for the day this past year. The one good thing spending more time locally for me is finding lots of good things locally that I thought were not here and local friendships (I just travelled so much for work outside of Taiwan, I was always did not have the time go out with local friends but now I do seems closer friendships were made)

There was another thread about how all Taiwanese want/need to own.

Seriously, the things people complain about on Forumosa just don’t add up.

And then they’re like, damn! Why do I get such a small place for my money in this crowded country? I don’t get it!

You made me think of Japan with lost decades and much better live quality. I prefer Japan reality over successful Singapore.

Maybe it’s not seen to you, but I notice changes to a better society here, as i come here yearly as tourist.

My bro in law bought small place in Taipei for 15 mio with parking spot.

Garage was sold fast, tenant pays big part of credit payment. It’s a bank capital

Lives with mother and run family restaurant Sleep half of days, and will have a million dollar at retirement age (apartment price) + family wealth.

Don’t underestimate market here. It’s not Japan

Can you explain this last sentence? You seem to talk in shorthand.

Sounds like a bubble, like US circa 1999.

JP Morgan is predicting 5.9% growth for Taiwan this year.

Yes and no.

Taiwan will have a hard flourishing with the geopolitics issues with China.

Lack of foreign talent and competitive tax rates compared to other Asian countries also makes it hard. The issue isn’t just salary, I see foreigners go into places like Vietnam right now because of untapped opportunities and taxes.

Yes because the Taiwan has the foundation to be dominant in tech.

And actually I see young people starting businesses here that aren’t just factories like AI development. Perhaps a passing of the torch is needed from the dinosaur laobans to the younger generation.